• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Starting a Website

TickTock

Mud and rain and chaos...
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
How do you go about this?

What is the cost?

How can write it or get someone to write it (as in the web designer)?

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
First of all.. what are you going to use it for?

Because there are many places that will give you a domain for a certain amount of money per month or year, I'm not sure, and a template you can fiddle with, if you are inexperienced.

TickTock

Mud and rain and chaos...
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
It's for a magazine. I want it to be professional and would treat it like a business. Originally I had the idea as an actual magazine but I want to explore the possibility of a web based medium.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
1. Ask, read and learn; which you've begun to do.

2. Domain registration is typically $10-$20 a year, while simple packages for hosting services run between $50 and $100 a year.

3. Learn HTML yourself or hire a designer. As to the latter, let your fingers do the walking.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Actually, you don't need to learn straight HTML as much as you once had to. There are web design programs out there like Dreamweaver and others that give you design tools and easy methods to design pages and upload them.

A cheap way to go is to hire a student or someone just starting out in their careers who need to build their portfolio. But if you hire someone be very very explicit about how and whenyou will pay them and for exactly what services. Unless you learn those basic skills yourself (whatever program was used to make the site), you'll probably have to hire that person or someone else to be a webmaster and upkeep your site.

Some people are comfortable with this, but generally for a magazine I imagine you would want more control over the aesthetics and branding of it so it can only help to take a class or pick up a book. Or you can just buy the software and do the 10 hour tutorial that comes with it. :D

A lot of software 'experts' who get paid to use the software (like film editing software) are totally self-taught. It is possible.

There are cheap website companies like souped up versions of yahoo homepages that will upload text and menu boxes for you and logos, but IMHO, those sites generally are not very impressive.

And again, for a magazine , I imagine you would need a very well thought out, easily navigable, and eye catching layout and design. And an original logo and branding. That can get expensive if you don't do it yourself.

BTW, I'm kinda grabbing at straws here and just telling you what I have gleaned peripherally.