• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Firefox alternative

burymecloser

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
I've pretty much had it with Firefox. Ever since they introduced plugin-container.exe, it makes my computer unacceptably slow. What should I be using instead?

I won't use IE for a multitude of reasons, and I believe in privacy, so Chrome is out of the question. I run XP, and I don't need a lot of bells and whistles from my browser. Security is priority #1, with some sort of tabs and bookmark management, but I really don't use add-ons apart from the essentials (Flash, etc). My reason for switching from Firefox is speed, so I'd like something quick, with as few compatibility issues as possible.

I'm particularly interested in Iron, Maxthon, Midori, and Orca, if anyone knows much about those, but I'm open to other suggestions as well. I understand Safari is available for XP, as well. Thoughts on that?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've been using Opera, it works pretty well on my netbook which tended to get bogged down with Firefox.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
I've tried Midori on linux. It seemed very good. Switched back to Ffox because of a couple cool addons.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
500x_xkcdpassword.jpg

Use Chrome.

SecondBest

Permabanned
MBTI Type
eNxp
Enneagram
5/7
I'd recommend Opera as well. It has a few annoying functional bugs in the Mac version, but from what I've heard it's far more stable in XP. As far as security is concerned, it's top notch, ime.

PuddleRiver

It's always something...
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w6
I use Opera, it's the fastest thing out there, for me, anyway. Everything else I've tried was as slow as IExploder.

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Chrome is perfectly safe. If you really don't want google to know your search history, change to a different default search engine. There's really nothing better than chrome.

burymecloser

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
But the OP said, "I believe in privacy, so Chrome is out of the question."

The OP is a 6, and thus, paranoid.

:yes:

I wish we had an "agree" icon that didn't look so happy, so I could admit this is true -- via smiley -- without seeming pleased about it.

I have no intention of deliberately installing spyware on my computer. Chrome is out of the question. Does anyone know much about Iron? My understanding is that it's very similar.

Otherwise maybe I'll try Opera. Anyone have complaints, or particular praise, for Opera?

Thanks for the input, unless you suggested Chrome. :steam:

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
WTF Google stores search history?

Where do they put all that search information, I mean....there's a lot of googleing going around.

And they can't keep it forever.

It never crossed my mind that google stores that shit, although I do not believe in online privacy.

Cookie Monster

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
I just switched to Chrome from Firefox, though the thought of Google storing my searches makes me feel uneasy...but it is also helpful to categorize common searches...helps making finding things on the big, wide web that much easier, not to mention provide a glimpse of world trends and paradigm shifts.

Then again, Google has me by the proverbial balls...I use GMail, GChat, Reader, Calendar, and Google Documents religiously. Now use Chrome, and I like it so far (it's easier on my RAM than FF).

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
I have the Firefox 4 Beta, and I like the changes thus far. Doesn't feel as bloated as Firefox 3.x. They moved the tabs above the navigation bar, which I prefer (although they are not at the very top of the screen). It's still buggy, but I feel like they finally listened to some of the complaints about FF that have cropped up in the past two years or so.

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
:yes:

I wish we had an "agree" icon that didn't look so happy, so I could admit this is true -- via smiley -- without seeming pleased about it.

I have no intention of deliberately installing spyware on my computer. Chrome is out of the question. Does anyone know much about Iron? My understanding is that it's very similar.

Otherwise maybe I'll try Opera. Anyone have complaints, or particular praise, for Opera?

Thanks for the input, unless you suggested Chrome. :steam:

Iron looks like a good browser. All the benefits of Chrome, without giving google access to any information.

Rainne

One day and the next
MBTI Type
ISTP
Google Chrome is not bad, it's light and fast. Somewhat buggy though.