• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Increasing Vista Security

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My account was hacked by my brother, and then the password was reset, and a little message saying: "you ass!!!" was tacked on just to rub it in. WTF can I do to prevent this from happening again? My previous password was already tough, I've changed it to an even tougher password, and I've put a password reset on my phones micro SD card, and I can't think of much more I can do. I have locked the guest account, but since my file has administrator acess, if I ever leave my computer open, he'll easily get it back on... wait... I should just turn off my admin privleges... Any ideas???

Donna Cecilia

L'anima non dimora
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Coercing your brother, formatting your PC, or checking for keyloggers that he might have installed on your pc.

For the future, lock your PC before leaving.

You will always have an Administrator account with privileges.

Black Phoenix

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Change to windows 7. Vista is worthless.

Check for keylogger. or install a keylogger yourself.- Never, ever leave the PC open if you leave the seat, always use an abstract password.

Also, you can lock the administrator account with a Password directly from the BIOS.
See if that helps..if not, tell us, and Ill ask my IT Security guy what else you can do.

ExAstrisSpes

MBTI Type
ENFJ
At first I thought this was a joke.

You will always have at least one admin account.

1) Switch to Win7.

2) If you can't do 1, then I say reformat and install a clean copy of Vista, then do the security upgrades, etc. Hopefully you have a way to back up your files.

3) Set up: 1 admin-only account, which has a very strong password and is for admin stuff only. Your account w/out admin privileges (use a different password). Guest account for people you want to temporarily let use your computer.

4) Maybe this is a long shot, but perhaps learn to get along better with your brother?

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Get an IPad and use that instead. That will throw him off.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
You're logged in as the Admin and leave it as such and you wonder how he changes your password?

Simple, move mouse to appropriate icons, click, then type in new password.

Unless you lock it or log out he's logged in as the administrator as soon as he gets there!!!

Fairly sure the shortcut is still windows key + L. Give it a go.

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My account was hacked by my brother, and then the password was reset, and a little message saying: "you ass!!!" was tacked on just to rub it in. WTF can I do to prevent this from happening again? My previous password was already tough, I've changed it to an even tougher password, and I've put a password reset on my phones micro SD card, and I can't think of much more I can do. I have locked the guest account, but since my file has administrator acess, if I ever leave my computer open, he'll easily get it back on... wait... I should just turn off my admin privleges... Any ideas???

Open up a run box, type in "Syskey" no quotes. Syskey is a built in utility that will encrypt the portion of the registry which contains user passwords. The key is then stored on a USB thumb drive which is inserted whenever you start the computer. After encrypting all passwords, it is literally impossible to reset them. He can't get around it if you do that.

And for the windows 7 recommendations, that's really a waste of money if your computer already has windows vista and doesn't have any performance issues. Vista can be made plenty secure. Just set up an admin password, force others and yourself to use standard accounts for regular use, and encrypt your SAM with syskey.

ExAstrisSpes

MBTI Type
ENFJ
And for the windows 7 recommendations, that's really a waste of money if your computer already has windows vista and doesn't have any performance issues.

You don't understand. We're trying to get him to upgrade because that's what all the cool kids are doing. And it would be pretty funny for him to come back and say, "Hey I upgraded to Win7 and guess what my brother did. . . . ."

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You don't understand. We're trying to get him to upgrade because that's what all the cool kids are doing. And it would be pretty funny for him to come back and say, "Hey I upgraded to Win7 and guess what my brother did. . . . ."

Hehe. Gotcha.

A

A window to the soul

lol, omgosh, forgive me, your brother is awesome! Any chance he's Admin on the box too? Type in 'Administrator' and leave the password blank, hit enter....

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Why don't you go to a random password generator, memorize what it displays, and use that?

Be sure to drink your Ovaltine.