• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

China Plans Huge Buses That Can DRIVE OVER Cars

gromit

likes this
My coworker just sent me this. It looks like they're planning to begin construction by the end of this year... I'm really curious to see if it actually happens and, if it does, how the system actually operates in real life. Oh China, if any place can pull something like this off, it is you. The transportation nerd inside of me really hopes you do. :holy:

3D Express Coach: China Plans Huge Buses That Can DRIVE OVER Cars

slide_9151_122514_large.jpg

Be sure to check out the slideshow images at the bottom of the article.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I pictured a bus with monster truck wheels! And was thinking it's a great solution to the Fung-Wah buses flipping over all the time.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I saw this too... pretty cool idea, but.... well, what if the road turns?

gromit

likes this
I pictured a bus with monster truck wheels! And was thinking it's a great solution to the Fung-Wah buses flipping over all the time.

:laugh: I like that imagery. I actually love taking the Fung Wah. So many... characters... on that bus. Heheheh.

I saw this too... pretty cool idea, but.... well, what if the road turns?

I imagine it would be the same as if a railroad track turns. Only the wheels actually need to be in contact with the tracks. I would be curious to see some more of the design side of it rather than just the pretty renderings. You have to admit, though, the renderings ARE pretty.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
But I mean, the bus is straight, and the cars below it would be on a curvy road.... so wouldn't the bus hit them? Maybe it the bus were segmented like a train it would work....

I'm sure they have all that stuff worked out though. Cool idea.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm sure they have all that stuff worked out though. Cool idea.

I hope it works better than the Seattle Monorail! :doh:

I love the idea though.

I was born in Germany, and lived there until I was 9.
My brother and I used to take the buses, Strassenbahn (street train), and U-bah (subway) all over the city of Frankfurt.
We'd get our allowance, escape from the military police in getting off the base, and go get loaded up on Gummy Bears and chocolate. :rock:
Mass transit is great. It keeps personal expenditures down and is good for the environment.

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
This sounds...disasterous.

But then again, this could be a drastic plan of population control. :devil:

Lark

I think that the these are the things which the Thatcher governments right wing wanted to replace the trains with, they wanted to pull up all the track in the country and lay special roads which would be exclusively for buses or fraighters and truckers.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It's a rather interesting idea. I do hope it works well.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
dude, that's fucking GENIUS- if it can be implemented right. I wish we still had the motivation for that level of innovation here in the US. We screw ourselves over with short-sighted patent laws and over-encumbering litigation.

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP
Part of me is very skeptical and would rather just stick to the left lane... a 30% reduction in congestion just seems outlandish, but if it works...

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
That looks both amazing and horrifying.

Makes me wonder again what happens when it turns. I mean, you have cars under it that might not be turning, and a bus that's turning... seems... bad.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
That looks both amazing and horrifying.

Makes me wonder again what happens when it turns. I mean, you have cars under it that might not be turning, and a bus that's turning... seems... bad.

It either reduces the congestion problem or reduces the overpopulation problem (which reduces the congestion problem). Win win!

I'm sure engineers will be queuing up to work on it.
Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
It either reduces the congestion problem or reduces the overpopulation problem (which reduces the congestion problem). Win win!

I guess so. I mean, the point of having a bus would mean that it was more manoeverable than a light-rail or something, right? But if it's on tracks anyway, and cars would have to wait for it to turn before they could turn, thereby making angry drivers... it seems more cumbersome than a sky-rail, which has a similar purpose, so the only reason I can see for such an idea would be that it's less expensive. Or, they already have a sky rail that's overcrowded and they're just trying to cram in more people.

Innovation is good, but sometimes people don't go through with ideas because they're, well, bad ideas.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype

well I think you hit a good point Haph....

precisely how many people are gonna die (on average) when one of these puppies derails? Can a large van or SUV knock it off alignment?

and a derailment WOULD happen..... one of those questions of when, not if.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
well I think you hit a good point Haph....

precisely how many people are gonna die (on average) when one of these puppies derails? Can a large van or SUV knock it off alignment?

and a derailment WOULD happen..... one of those questions of when, not if.

Let's see, that bus is huge, about the size of a subway. Depending on which way it derails, it would crush a whole bunch of cars in its wake, or it might crush into a building, causing building damage and killing a bunch of people inside.

What makes the fatalities increase would be the size of the bus, and also the fact that there are people below it in all directions, not just side to side of it. The center of gravity of it looks like it would be really high, too :/

Also, there's the question for the picture -- how the hell do people get into that bus, anyway? The doors are so high up! They'd have to build loading platforms!