• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Computers: What do you need them to do that they won't do now?

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Hmm yes.

A rock solid media centre. One that shares all the media in the house, all over the house, effortlessly archiving and storing everything until, if and when it is needed. There are a lot of "nearly" tries at this, but all of which end up just being a little too much hassley.

-Geoff

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Well, I was thinking more along the lines of one that could have a conversation with me about any topic I chose and have realistic responses, rather that one that would try to talk me into giving it money. You know what I mean?
You could write to ME if you want to. :)

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
What do you or your organization need software or computers to do that they currently won't do now?

I'm making a list of projects I'd like to do someday which I'll never get around to actually doing.
The application has reached the dead end.
What is left is cosmetics.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
You want a computer to apply your makeup for you?

Couldn't resist. I'm just teasing.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
You want a computer to apply your makeup for you?

Couldn't resist. I'm just teasing.

He means making the interface and appearance better, making things more accessible, not really making computers do anything new...

He's saying that all that can be done in terms of functionality has been done, and everything that's being added is superficial improvement/optimization on existing structures.

I never would have thought to interpret the comment that way... I love those "interpret metaphors literally" jokes. :rofl1:

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
He means making the interface and appearance better, making things more accessible, not really making computers do anything new...

He's saying that all that can be done in terms of functionality has been done, and everything that's being added is superficial improvement/optimization on existing structures.

I never would have thought to interpret the comment that way... :rofl1:

Heh yes. I don't agree with him though. I can think of lots of potential applications, and some that are started but need way more in the way of functionality. Sure... word processors are pretty much "there". But what about...

speech recognition
modelling of systems (eg atomic level interactions)
AI

etc (they all need more than just cosmetic work)

-Geoff

file cabinet

the project/business ideas I have currently leverage open source in some way. mainly... take Awesome-open-source-app then put a more user friendly interface on it.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
You know I think that in terms of doing new things that people should really stop when it comes to computers. The drive for ever faster and more complex apps is fine but what's the point when you have inefficient code running, bloat ware from the OS and up, bandwidth that is never accessed due to archaic basis for code.

What's the point of having a piece of software which does everything if the basic hardware, firmware and OS aren't capable of running it all reliably?

To really advance they need to revise computers from the ground up but to do that would be expensive and a huge task. Not something that I see anyone tackling any time soon unless Linux receives some kind of huge backing.

I was worried about one combined MS and Linux project. I could just see Mr Gates buying it all up and then squashing it.

Anyhow Linux hasn't got the polish of Windows nor the hardware and software support. Windows is flawed to hell and trying to get a list of applications which don't stuff it up is very much a matter of opinions, caveats and rumour. As for Macs... well they seem doomed to wallow in their own little cult.

It'd be soo nice to rebuild the PC from ground up and see what the little suckers can really do when you remove all of the stops and bottlenecks. That'd be something to see.

Vivid

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Adobe Illustrator needs a fill tool. Who designs art programs without a decent fill tool? o_O
Plus the gradient mesh tool sucks.

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
Does anyone have any new thoughts?

Computers will of course become more powerful, leading to new applications that were previously beyond the limit of practical computation. But I still see agree with Wildcat - the major developments in computing that we are yet to see are those to do with interfaces. The fact is that our current methods of interfacing with computational technology is still rather primitive.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Here are a few things that additional computing power could do (with some additional hardware) and would be nice:
  • Assisted reality: have glasses (or some other means) that overlay additional information. Highlight my driving route, show me the online price and reviews of things in stores, remind me of people's names, tell me if I'm dominating the conversation, boring others, etc.
  • Drive my car - take the tedium out of driving so I can watch a movie or read. Have my rental car (or ZipCar) come to me, and then return itself when done. Make car sharing far more practical and convenient.
  • Coordinate various devices in my life (would require additional electronics in various devices). Notice when groceries are low and add them to my shopping list (or order them to be delivered). Automatically notice patterns and adjust the environment (like the thermostat or lighting) accordingly. Notify me when appliances are acting erratically and about to fail. Warn me if my energy usage spikes (did i leave a window open and I'm AC-ing the neighborhood?), or the water runs at an odd time of day (hot water heater leaking?). Warn me about my cash flow or changes in spending habits.
  • Assist with notification about home maintenance. Notice when the caulking needs to be redone, paint is peeling, water is leaking, etc. Could be integrated with a general contracting service that could offer estimates or find bids to fix issues before they become critical.

Clearly I'm a lazy INFP with lots of ideas for ways to be even lazier.