• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Did you know...?

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[YOUTUBE="4Q75KhAeqJg"]Future Technology[/YOUTUBE]

Words of Ivory

facettes de la petite mor
MBTI Type
INFJ
That was... mind-blowing.

I'm utterly lost for words right now. There's a first time for everything, I guess.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I know, right? :shock:

Words of Ivory

MBTI Type
INFJ
Modern technology as it is already blows my mind.

With a smart phone such as the iPhone I can already track my location, destination and route with the click of a few buttons, check train times for anywhere in the world, remotely access my computer from a completely different city and store my entire music collection... in the palm of my hand.

Upcoming gaming technology allows you to use your own *body* as the controller. Minority Reports style interfaces are only a matter of time. The internet is going to eventually be plugged into everything we do. It practically already is - the technology already exists, it just hasn't penetrated into everyone's lives yet.

People have already invented holograms controllable through computer A.I. At the current speed of technological advancement, we could have functional holographic games and holographic people with functional artificial identities by 2025.

There has to be a saturation point for this. My mind can't even comprehend what it's going to be like in 10 years. But I'm extremely plugged into technological advancement, so it's its also incredibly exciting to watch.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
There has to be a saturation point for this. My mind can't even comprehend what it's going to be like in 10 years. But I'm extremely plugged into technological advancement, so it's its also incredibly exciting to watch.

It worries me actually because I don't think our minds and bodies can keep up with it. Unless it slows down I can't see how we'd become nothing more than pretend robots just to keep up. Humans are not as perfect as machines.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Oh yeah and an affordable flying car, those things are taking forever!

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
It worries me actually because I don't think our minds and bodies can keep up with it. Unless it slows down I can't see how we'd become nothing more than pretend robots just to keep up. Humans are not as perfect as machines.

It was interesting the part about the single newspaper containing an entire 18th? century lifetime's worth of information.

It's amazing how much we have to ignore just to get by.

Words of Ivory

MBTI Type
INFJ
Oh yeah and an affordable flying car, those things are taking forever!
I think they call those... airplanes.

50 years ago, the concept of portable communication and information devices was the domain of science-fiction. Not only has real technology since done that, but out-striped the technology previously only dreamed of in that medium.

As I pointed out in my previous post, the technology already exists to directly control holograms through computer-enabled coding and algorithms. Given another 10 or 15 years, you could fit a competent A.I. into a small microchip. It's not going to be quite the Holodeck, but it comes close.

Abstract Thinker

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I think they call those... airplanes.

Not to split hairs (I like your posts), but with airplanes, we still have to use controlled explosions to get off the ground. Hence the inherent danger.

Once we quantify gravity we'll get off the ground effortlessly, and when our "machine" fails, we can just float back down to earth - no harm, no foul.

Yeah, I'm an armchair physicist. :huh:

Pixelholic

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
Not to split hairs (I like your posts), but with airplanes, we still have to use controlled explosions to get off the ground. Hence the inherent danger.

Once we quantify gravity we'll get off the ground effortlessly, and when our "machine" fails, we can just float back down to earth - no harm, no foul.

Yeah, I'm an armchair physicist. :huh:

Pretty sure contragravity is still way off in the realm of superscience.

Unless they come up with Mass Effect fields or something fun like that.

I'm ambivalent about the latest neo-futurist tech worship. I think there are other social issues that need to be addressed first...

MBTI Type
INTJ
It worries me actually because I don't think our minds and bodies can keep up with it.

Me too. I know this video is supposed to be uplifting and wondrous, but it just makes me recoil and want to go churn some butter.

Your point is something I think causes us distress in many ways. Science isn't a virtue by nature, but only situationally. Just as an example, our nuclear technology has created destructive weapons that our wisdom and maturity have not caught up with. Similarly, our food and manufacturing technology have created an abundance of fatty foods that far outraces our evolutionary ability to stop craving these once-scarce fats.

Abstract Thinker

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I'm ambivalent about the latest neo-futurist tech worship. I think there are other social issues that need to be addressed first...

Oh, agreed completely. Was just musing about unifying the four fields. Yeah, we've definitely opened Pandora's box, technologically speaking.

The thing that scared me about that video was the number of babies being born. IMO, overpopulation is near the root of all of our problems, especially the social ones.

foolish heart

MBTI Type
ISTP
"inspiring" video but the implications made by those statistics are a load of crap and there is nothing futuristic about them.

china has always had a massive population and it is not rising at any greater rate than before.
Google - public data

I have no idea what IQ is mentioned as a relative statistic when 25% of any country with at least 4 times the population of the US would have the same statistic. "translation" riiight. the population of bermuda is only about 65,000 ("penetration" is users/total population). most of the statistics after that are indirectly tied to moore's law which again is nothing new. a supercomputer can never be built that transcends the human brain that built it in terms of computation power divided by the time taken to compute

so what does it all mean? 3 people grabbed a bunch of statistics and blew them out of proportion to fuel the idea that something about the development of technology itself will change and the reality of the future will be radically different.

the truth is, reality doesnt change even if human technology does. in 2000, we had a computer crisis, not flying cars. ironically, this kind of sensationalism about the future is a very familiar thing from the past. :D

Moonstone3

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
9, 5
Me too. I know this video is supposed to be uplifting and wondrous, but it just makes me recoil and want to go churn some butter.

Your point is something I think causes us distress in many ways. Science isn't a virtue by nature, but only situationally. Just as an example, our nuclear technology has created destructive weapons that our wisdom and maturity have not caught up with. Similarly, our food and manufacturing technology have created an abundance of fatty foods that far outraces our evolutionary ability to stop craving these once-scarce fats.

Yep, me too! It is scary. I've often contemplated living off the land, and becoming solely self-sufficient. I think life is less taken for granted that way. If you cook your eggs in the sun(not possible in most climates) then you worked for them. You appreciate them more. The same goes for everything from washing clothes by hand to developing film in a dark room. We are starting to live a virtual existance. I had a great start at becoming an artistic photographer, but now everyone's a photographer with their kodak easyshares and photoshop to edit out the talent they lack. What can education and specialization offer us if everyone can become an expert online just with Google? How could they train for jobs that don't exist? They exist if there is training for them.

Overall, an interesting video to ponder. Glad you shared, Giggly.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
i didnt know those things, but they didnt surprise me at all

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You know, I'm more afraid of the scales here than the technology itself. If only there was a way to scale things way back and still keep the technology.

Call me morbid, but I've said in the past that maybe the best thing that could happen to the human race is a huge calamity that kills most of the population but somehow doesn't get rid of our technology.

I have a suspicion that such a scenario is not even possible, however.