• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Mac or PC - N or S

Mac or PC - N or S

• N Mac (all Operating Systems)

Votes: 27 34.6%
  • S Mac (all Operating Systems)

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • N PC (all Operating Systems)

Votes: 48 61.5%
  • S PC (all Operating Systems)

Votes: 11 14.1%

• Total voters

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I have just been peeking at some of the old messages on Post your Desktop.

I am a Mac user since 1984 and was constantly harangued with "It's a toy!" until Windows was released sometime around 1987.

Then the responses were "It's too expensive!" or "Apple is going to the Wall!" or "it can't run my PC software"

These days, none of these apply! A usable, funky Mac can be competitively cheaper than a Sony Vaio for instance, Apple has now overtaken Microsoft in capital value and, without compromising its awesome OS integrity, I can run a full PC on my quad core Mac as well as my industry Mac software!

My Macs (and Adobe software) have provided me with a fantastic career and good income doing what I enjoy.

Over the years I have had only 4 component failures on my 6 Macs. My PC owning friends using Windows can make no such claim. I rarely, if ever, corrupt files, and on the occasion that I do it has been my own fault for working directly to a cross platform storage device or trying to open a file that is being copied.

Among users on TC I am interested to see what proportion of Ns use Macs or PCs compared to the proportion of Ss?? I hope silly, uninformed prejudices will not prevail in any discussion. :newwink:

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
N- Windows user. Mac is pretty bleh, imo :thumbdown:

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
N - both :p PC for usual use and Macbook Pro for university. However I must say if I had to buy now my notebook, I would probably buy instead a Thinkpad or something cheaper. I am not so happy with the Mac OS, but maybe I just don't use it enough, since with Windows I have so much more experience.

However, the battery life and the overall quality of the Macbook is good, so it is even for price decent. Could use it with Windows after all too if I really have to.

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
N - both :p PC for usual use and Macbook Pro for university. However I must say if I had to buy now my notebook, I would probably buy instead a Thinkpad or something cheaper. I am not so happy with the Mac OS, but maybe I just don't use it enough, since with Windows I have so much more experience.

However, the battery life and the overall quality of the Macbook is good, so it is even for price decent. Could use it with Windows after all too if I really have to.

I think it is what you get used to ;) although many of my students move over to Macs after working on them throughout their course. When they first come in they are all up in arms as to why they have to use Macs LOL :alttongue:

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ

Actually, if I could use Mac OS X on a normal PC computer I would. The reason why I like the Mac is just the OS. I've used several distros of Linux and Windows for years and years, but since I bought a Macbook Pro 5 years ago, I've fallen in love.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
PC because it takes more than pretty pictures to get me to pick something.

FalseHeartDothKnow

MBTI Type
INFP
What do you guys think of the theory that a lot of people (of course not all) stick with the first OS they learned to use?

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I :heart: my Hackintosh. My INTP built it for me. :wubbie:

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
90% of my use has been Windows for two reasons:
1. Work
2. Cost

I have always preferred Macs and am using one right now

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My first computer was an Apple IIe, bought in 1984, when I was 10.
I was programming in Basic by the time I was 11.
I played Castle Wolfenstein, Epix Games (like the Olympics), and Questron.
Then we bought an Apple IIc.

Then my Dad bought a 386. :dry:
I lost interest in computers at that point.
Then I got into playing electric guitar, lifting weights, and girls. :cheese:

My first computer was a Pentium III with Windows 98.
Then I bought a Pentium IV with Me. :sick:
Then I got sick of it all and didn't buy a new system until an HP Pavillion a250, w/ a 2.4 GHz processor, 2 GB RAM, with Windows XP.

After that I was using my PC for work, school, and now my biggest hobby, home music production.

I have invested a shameful amount of money on digital audio interfaces, nearfield monitor speakers, and software (sequencers, DJ applications, and virtual instruments) to allow me to record my guitars, vocal tracks, bass, Access Virus KC synthesizer, etc. and still have the flexibility of using digital software based instruments in a multi-track environment.

I am open to using a Mac, but will not have an opportunity to do so until I buy an iPad later this year. :newwink:

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
My first computer was an Apple IIe, bought in 1984, when I was 10.
I was programming in Basic by the time I was 11.
I played Castle Wolfenstein, Epix Games (like the Olympics), and Questron.
Then we bought an Apple IIc.

Then my Dad bought a 386. :dry:
I lost interest in computers at that point.
Then I got into playing electric guitar, lifting weights, and girls. :cheese:

My first computer was a Pentium III with Windows 98.
Then I bought a Pentium IV with Me. :sick:
Then I got sick of it all and didn't buy a new system until an HP Pavillion a250, w/ a 2.4 GHz processor, 2 GB RAM, with Windows XP.

After that I was using my PC for work, school, and now my biggest hobby, home music production.

I have invested a shameful amount of money on digital audio interfaces, nearfield monitor speakers, and software (sequencers, DJ applications, and virtual instruments) to allow me to record my guitars, vocal tracks, bass, Access Virus KC synthesizer, etc. and still have the flexibility of using digital software based instruments in a multi-track environment.

I am open to using a Mac, but will not have an opportunity to do so until I buy an iPad later this year. :newwink:

My SIL is a Jazz musician and head of performing arts at a private boys' school. He has just installed a couple of Mac labs with Garage Band and accessories as a starter plus all of the other fruit for the older boys.

He showed me an amazing DVD - multimedia presentation put together by a 10yo on Chick Correa complete with sound, video and transitions. ;)

Can't wait to play with the iPad but I'm looking forward particularly to the iPhone 4s arrival downunder later this month. :cheese:

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
My SIL is a Jazz musician and head of performing arts at a private boys' school. He has just installed a couple of Mac labs with Garage Band and accessories as a starter plus all of the other fruit for the older boys.

He showed me an amazing DVD - multimedia presentation put together by a 10yo on Chick Correa complete with sound, video and transitions. ;)

Can't wait to play with the iPad but I'm looking forward particularly to the iPhone 4s arrival downunder later this month. :cheese:

I kinda work for Apple right now and I signed a NDA but but....Apple is good because of its Mac line.

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I kinda work for Apple right now and I signed a NDA but but....Apple is good because of its Mac line.

How lucky are you - Steve Jobs would have to be the hottest nerd on the planet! Great mind and vision. So what if he is picky! ...but I don't have to work with him.

Best I could do was a Cert. Developer at the end of the 80's. LOL I work, teach and develop online learning resources in a totally Mac environment (10 labs of 24 plus lecturer machines and overheads and a machine on each lecturer's desk).

How cool is it to have all of your creative SW provided and a tax deduction for your hardware - my work is also my play ;)