• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Mac or PC - N or S

Mac or PC - N or S

• N Mac (all Operating Systems)

Votes: 27 34.6%
  • S Mac (all Operating Systems)

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • N PC (all Operating Systems)

Votes: 48 61.5%
  • S PC (all Operating Systems)

Votes: 11 14.1%

• Total voters

Blossom500

MBTI Type
ENFP
Thanks! Of course you can use it, and no credit required... don't care about that. Just care about being understood. :hug:
:hug:

Thanks! Of course you can use it, and no credit required... don't care about that. Just care about being understood. :hug:
:D

Okay, back to battling code, when really I'm a video editor. But I'm also the de facto Drupal guy cuz I know more about it than anyone else here. Shouldn't have told them that! :doh:
You fool! :rofl1:

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I had a student who formatted her external drive into a Time Machine drive (since it prompts whenever you plug any drive in) and lost all of her video files because of it. I had another student who was wondering why his mac was slow. His hard drive had something like 8mb of space left on it. No amount of idiot-proofing is going to help some poeple.

Or the student who runs out of space and says "...but I trashed all of the files I didn't want???"

Me: "Have you tried emptying the trash?"

Blossom500

MBTI Type
ENFP
Meanwhile, all the Sensors out there are like :coffee: and :popc1:, and all the NFP Mac users are out there either like... :static: or :rolli: and here I am in the middle again.

(Well, at least that's how the whole thing is playing out in my half-drunk head. Loving this tasty little IPA from Charlottesville.) :headphne:

And now I'm gonna either go back to making my short, warm, mushy (but sincere!) posts... or I'm gonna figure out how I can use even more emoticons in one sitting. :D

This is nothing you should read the "Do ENFP's like psychopaths" I had to leave! :yes::angry: ... I got hungry and had to chase down some dinner. To be honest about the debate I am :static: and :rolli: at the same time but that must be because I have ENFP tendencies. I LOVE MY MAC and really don't care what anyone else thinks so long as they don't force me to use a PC then my Fi, lead by my, Te will kick their butt or I'll shoot them with my ray gun. :spam_laser: Then the PC :spam_laser: and then problem solved :headphne:

I'll have a beer too thanks. :cheers: cheers!

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
I just don't really see much of a point in using personal experience as a basis for an argument of the effectiveness of two platforms. I would turn it into an extensive study that tested multiple brands of PC's, multiple system configurations of both platforms, intended uses, and then use a controlled group of users to measure stability, performance, upgradeability, efficiency, and user friendliness. I'd also likely run surveys targeted at mainstream, enthusiast, business and development users.

I'd just want the absolute truth. :)

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I really hate Mac, I think Apple is just a "trendy" type of PC. As far as cell phones go, I think Android is vasly superior to iPhone's software. I started with an MS-DOS 386 at 8. By the way, this doesn't mean I support Microsoft. What makes a "normal" PC superior to any Apple piece of hardware is how you can easily have 2 or 3 OS installed.

Apple has now overtaken Microsoft in capital value and,

That's market capitalization, which is vastly different from capital in terms of balance-sheet accounting, where Microsoft is still almost double the size of Apple.

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I really hate Mac, I think Apple is just a "trendy" type of PC. As far as cell phones go, I think Android is vasly superior to iPhone's software. I started with an MS-DOS 386 at 8. By the way, this doesn't mean I support Microsoft. What makes a "normal" PC superior to any Apple piece of hardware is how you can easily have 2 or 3 OS installed.

Did you not know that the Mac can run Mac OSX PLUS Windows at the same time??

Blossom500

MBTI Type
ENFP
I just don't really see much of a point in using personal experience as a basis for an argument of the effectiveness of two platforms. I would turn it into an extensive study that tested multiple brands of PC's, multiple system configurations of both platforms, intended uses, and then use a controlled group of users to measure stability, performance, upgradeability, efficiency, and user friendliness. I'd also likely run surveys targeted at mainstream, enthusiast, business and development users.

I like how you think... and would sponsor the study the for you to run study if I had the dosh (running a study like that is a nightmare for me!). For my purposes, and based on my experience at this time in my life, a MAC suits me. I appreciate that there is stuff they can't do and don't do well but it is about user need and preference.

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram

That would be ideal if everyone chose their computers that way still - but the personal experience and existing prejudices PLUS industries' preference are what really drive a computer these days.

If you look at the computer choices in the same way as you look at the comparability of cars. It is only a relative few who want to see the speed trials etc. Most people just want comfort, price, fuel consumption, looks and safety and wouldn't need half of the attributes tested for.

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I've never really understood this because if you're going to get a Mac just to run Windows in bootcamp or whatever, what's the point of the Mac.

It is really a pain in the rear end but in the Graphics Industry the creative work is done on Macs but is then served via a PC based digital workflow to a digital platemaker or direct to a digital press.

From a training perspective, the majority of development tools for learning resources are Mac based bar one or two that are important, hence both platforms.

I guess it also means that those who wish to use Macs for their work or personal use can also have access to gaming on a wider basis. Who knows???

The Mac has always had the capacity to read PC files and formats and to write PC files and formats without additional hardware or software from day one so I guess it is an extension of that.

This is also one of the reasons that creatives have preferred Macs - an Annual report can be produced using original data from a PC based network's Finance programs, Spreadsheets and WP programs but also can use graphics and files directly from Mac platform.

Pixelholic

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
It is really a pain in the rear end but in the Graphics Industry the creative work is done on Macs but is then served via a PC based digital workflow to a digital platemaker or direct to a digital press.

From a training perspective, the majority of development tools for learning resources are Mac based bar one or two that are important, hence both platforms.

I guess it also means that those who wish to use Macs for their work or personal use can also have access to gaming on a wider basis. Who knows???

The Mac has always had the capacity to read PC files and formats and to write PC files and formats without additional hardware or software from day one so I guess it is an extension of that.

This is also one of the reasons that creatives have preferred Macs - an Annual report can be produced using original data from a PC based network's Finance programs, Spreadsheets and WP programs but also can use graphics and files directly from Mac platform.

This is changing though. Adobe's creative suite is cross platform and there are a number of open source programs like Gimp and Audacity that are gaining in popularity. We aren't in the days of Avid or Siggraph anymore where you were tied to one specific computer for your creative needs.

Also with steam releasing on Mac, Macs can start to be used for gaming again. So dual booting on a Mac really doesn't make too much sense to me.

And you can get OSX to work on non-mac hardware (I got Leopard working on my Asus G2S a couple years back, never tried snow leopard.)

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
This is changing though. Adobe's creative suite is cross platform and there are a number of open source programs like Gimp and Audacity that are gaining in popularity. We aren't in the days of Avid or Siggraph anymore where you were tied to one specific computer for your creative needs.

Also with steam releasing on Mac, Macs can start to be used for gaming again. So dual booting on a Mac really doesn't make too much sense to me.

And you can get OSX to work on non-mac hardware (I got Leopard working on my Asus G2S a couple years back, never tried snow leopard.)

Ahhh but you don't have to contend with the creatives the majority of whom won't consider working on PCs. There was an attempt in the late 90s, before Steve Jobs returned, to move away from Macs when John Scully nearly ruined Apple. Creatives around the world were resigning en masse.

There are still benefits in using Macs for creatives. Font management in particular is far more easily managed and accessed by keyboard modifiers rather than having to go to glyph menus. This is one of the main issues cited to me PLUS the ability to read cross platform files and formats.

Adobe's programs have been equivalent cross platform since the early 90's but as much as you and I might want to debate the issues, that is not going to be the catalyst for creatives to give up their Macs yet.

Pixelholic

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
Ahhh but you don't have to contend with the creatives the majority of whom won't consider working on PCs. There was an attempt in the late 90s, before Steve Jobs returned, to move away from Macs when John Scully nearly ruined Apple. Creatives around the world were resigning en masse.

There are still benefits in using Macs for creatives. Font management in particular is far more easily managed and accessed by keyboard modifiers rather than having to go to glyph menus. This is one of the main issues cited to me PLUS the ability to read cross platform files and formats.

Adobe's programs have been equivalent cross platform since the early 90's but as much as you and I might want to debate the issues, that is not going to be the catalyst for creatives to give up their Macs yet.

True enough, though Apples switch to on the mobile market might be such a catalyst. I've had friends already grumbling about the Final Cut rumors that it's going to get dumbed down to resemble something closer to iMovie. Adobe's not going to be the main change but if Apple and Adobe keep sparring and Adobe scales back their support (like not adding 64bit support for example) then it will have some effect.

Honestly I don't want Apple to screw over their creative users. I like the competition because it makes all creative software better in the long run. Premiere wouldn't be the program it is today if Final Cut wasn't there and they both forced Avid to change and become cheaper etc.

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
True enough, though Apples switch to on the mobile market might be such a catalyst. I've had friends already grumbling about the Final Cut rumors that it's going to get dumbed down to resemble something closer to iMovie. Adobe's not going to be the main change but if Apple and Adobe keep sparring and Adobe scales back their support (like not adding 64bit support for example) then it will have some effect.

Honestly I don't want Apple to screw over their creative users. I like the competition because it makes all creative software better in the long run. Premiere wouldn't be the program it is today if Final Cut wasn't there and they both forced Avid to change and become cheaper etc.

I couldn't agree more!!! Adobe InDesign and Illustrator would not be what they are if not for the original competition from Quark & Freehand - and Adobe's development of PostScript.

Look, despite the spats over Flash (and some of the IT guys at work say Apple is correct about its security, and that new web protocols address the lacks in Flash???), Adobe, Microsoft and Apple have always been necessary for each other but aggressively so. :devil:

It is that aggression that has driven the competitiveness to our benefit. We have all been speculating recently whether/when Apple might not release OSX for the PC platform ;)

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I don't know who said aesthetics were important about mac, but I own a mac and I don't even like Mac aesthetics. If I chose a computer solely on aesthetics, I would have a cute little red Acer netbook.

Then again, one thing I like about Macs are the keyboards, but I think the vast majority of everyone hates their "chicle" keyboard.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
I can think of four people right now who are dealing with random sut-downs on Windows PC's (well, one isn't anymore because she just went out and bought a new Windows computer).

I work with a group of people who all have Mac's and every one of them says they'd never go back to Windows. I've never known of a person who had a Mac who went back to Windows. Maybe that's anecdotal, but it's pretty convincing anecdotal evidence for me. If I could afford a Mac, I'd get one. Since I can't, I have Linux. I'm happy with it except for the few things it can't do because they require software that only runs on Windows or Mac.
That's like asking someone who owns a Mercedes if he'd ever go back to a Ford. He probably wouldn't unless economic circumstances forced him to.

I'll never own a Mercedes either. Waste of money for me, but some people aren't so cheap.

Pixelholic

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
That's like asking someone who owns a Mercedes if he'd ever go back to a Ford. He probably wouldn't unless economic circumstances forced him to.

I'll never own a Mercedes either. Waste of money for me, but some people aren't so cheap.

To continue the analogy, the Mercedes would also have no access to the engine and the only way you could get it fixed or changed is by taking it to a specialized mercedes mechanic. Also cupholders would be sold separately and cost a fortune.