• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

"Slowing aging with semen"

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I'm not making this shit up.
Well, it makes sense in terms of sexual competition, especially in non monogamous species to have ways to keep the semen alive longer while remaining mobile/fast to get the best ratio of survivors at 'the end of the road' and therefore more fecundity. While there's no incentive (well, more with a slow growing cultural social species such as humans but still relatively few) to hold aging in a population (in terms of natural selection).

So, yeah.

Hold your laughter. It's not the setup for a joke. Austrian researchers believe that a compound in human semen can have a dramatic impact on life span. Biochemists Frank Madeo and Tobias Eisenberg at the University of Graz led a team to test the effects of a substance known as spermidine. In yeast, spermidine was shown to increase life span by as much as a factor of four; in fruit flies, up to 30%; and in worms, up to 15%. When spermidine was applied to human immune cells, they too lived longer, with three times as many surviving after 12 days as in a comparison batch.

Spermidine works, the researchers show, by promoting the cellular process of autophagy — a kind of self-cleaning that, Eisenberg says, "removes cellular garbage such as clumped proteins or damaged or defective cellular organelles." Those things might otherwise harm the body.
Slowing Aging ... With Semen - Health Checkup: How to Live 100 Years - TIME

Cheshire Grin

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
^Maybe you're supposed to drin - nevermind :cheese:

Of course they would isolate the compound prior to putting it on the mass market for human consumption, although you men could use this little nugget of gold to your advantage :p

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Of course they would isolate the compound prior to putting it on the mass market for human consumption, although you men could use this little nugget of gold to your advantage :p

Oh, they'd probably find a way to produce it in recombinant bacteria or yeast or something. Don't get anyone's hopes up. ;)

And, the effect seems to decrease with more complex organisms, so it may have to significant effect on humans at all. Slowing aging in a human being is a different matter from increasing the life span of a cell.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's kind of funny that this "comes" from Arnold Schwarzenegger's hometown of Graz, Austria. :laugh:

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hey, this is why women statistically live longer.
Well, at least those who swallow :laugh:

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
Why do I picture a scientist trying to convince his girlfriend to do certain things? :laugh:

wolfy

awsm
It's kind of funny that this "comes" from Arnold Schwarzenegger's hometown of Graz, Austria. :laugh:

It's a satisfying to me as coming is...

[YOUTUBE="rfDwTNU6dzU"]Arnold Schwarzenegger - coming day and night [/YOUTUBE]

I remember reading about this bodybuilder that was worried about losing the little protein in semen. Funny.

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I remember reading about this bodybuilder that was worried about losing the little protein in semen. Funny.

Heh. I remember some girl (on Yahoo! Answers maybe?) who was worried about the amount of calories in a "serving" of semen. She'd heard it was around 1000 and was freaking out.

T

ThatGirl

No wonder women outlive men........

I should have known someone would beat me to it.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Damn. I was reading "Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex" today, by Mary Roach, and she talked about some people's beliefs in the rejuvenating power of sperm... but can't for the life of me find it now in the book.

Maybe tomorrow.

F

figsfiggyfigs

Well, lets be honest here. This will definitely globally-increase the number of "facials"...:ninja: