First 12

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by thea View Post
    So the question is would intuitives naturally produce more dopamine in their brain than sensors and what about right brain dominant people over left brain doms?
    Well, for weirdness, I'm typically full/right-brained and Wellbutrin was the medication I successfully used to curb my depression (it's an inhibitor of dopamine and norepinephrine intake).

Quote Originally Posted by InsatiableCuriosity
    What interests me more is that ADD and ADHD, when we peel off the layers that are caused by poor nutrition and too many chemical additives, are likely to prove to be NPs and SPs being taught in a manner largely suited to the greater proportion of students - ISTJ.
    I agree with the basic premise, I think the basic misdiagonses that have occured have fallen into this category. However, it's not fully that. My ESFP kid had trouble in any environment, regardless of structure level, and he felt relieved when he'd take his meds; it was like part of his brain finally turned on and he could focus on and accomplish things. Before, he was like a dune buggy splashing around in circles aimlessly, throwing mud everywhere, and now he could drive toward a goal he wanted to achieve.

I've actually had people off the cuff drop the ADD comment in regard to me, just because I don't organize easily IRL. I hate that stuff. Just because someone organizes spatially or has a mind that can fire in many directions at once doesn't mean there's something wrong with it or that focus cannot be applied when one desires. Linear thinking tries too hard to categorize everything.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    *has nerdy subscription to TED on Youtube*
    Me too
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I'm actually pretty severely right brained according to the tests on that

and I'm a sensor....

in the poll we had here attached to that test it correlated most heavily that ExxPs almost all fell into the right brained category, regardless of S or N and IxxJs almost all fell into the left brained category regardless of S or N
    This is interesting because I am considered in testing to have left brain/right brain balance yet I write and draw with my right hand and could not turn a door knob the proper way with my left hand until I was 24 .

I am in all likelihood XNTP tho most testing has shown a slight preference for I and an extreme iNtuitive???
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Well, for weirdness, I'm typically full/right-brained and Wellbutrin was the medication I successfully used to curb my depression (it's an inhibitor of dopamine and norepinephrine intake).

I agree with the basic premise, I think the basic misdiagonses that have occured have fallen into this category. However, it's not fully that. My ESFP kid had trouble in any environment, regardless of structure level, and he felt relieved when he'd take his meds; it was like part of his brain finally turned on and he could focus on and accomplish things. Before, he was like a dune buggy splashing around in circles aimlessly, throwing mud everywhere, and now he could drive toward a goal he wanted to achieve.

I've actually had people off the cuff drop the ADD comment in regard to me, just because I don't organize easily IRL. I hate that stuff. Just because someone organizes spatially or has a mind that can fire in many directions at once doesn't mean there's something wrong with it or that focus cannot be applied when one desires. Linear thinking tries too hard to categorize everything.
    I agree with you 100% on your last statement!!

So you have experienced both sides of the coin then - I think abstraction is frequently misdiagnosed as ADD when society needs that abstraction and leaps of association to come up with hypotheses and solutions.

I know that the scientists among us believe that something doesn't exist until it is proven but without the insane (as they were seen in their time) and as yet unproven theories of their times, the world's genius throughout history would not have brought us so far.

As an aside - While I understand the need by most for "proofs" I think all proofs require a waiver clause that says that this has been proven based on what we know at this time.

Reading Feynman's lectures in "The Pleasure of Finding Things Out", Feynman saw his cousin struggling with a calculus problem and asked if he wanted to know a quick way to solve the problem. His cousin told him that he had to do it via the steps shown him in the book. Feynman then said he experienced something of an epiphany realising that those who need to do the step-by-step process in solving a problem do so for a reason.

It is so they can correctly solve the problem regardless of whether they understand what they are trying to achieve or not!
    — Richard P. Feynman

author unknown

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

yeah... I'm right handed and left footed... which can be confusing

and if your Ne beats your Ti you could be an E (lol... that rhymes! )

as far as the idea of ADD with Ne... try being an ESxP child... they positively chase you down the hallway with ritalin because you're too EVERYTHING for their tastes :steam: (ok... they chased me down the hallway because I liked to wander off during class, but that's a different matter!)
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

as far as the idea of ADD with Ne... try being an ESxP child... they positively chase you down the hallway with ritalin because you're too EVERYTHING for their tastes :steam: (ok... they chased me down the hallway because I liked to wander off during class, but that's a different matter!)
    Cool - I like the Maverick in the class!!
    — Richard P. Feynman

author unknown

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by InsatiableCuriosity View Post
    Me too
    I got TED on my bookmarks table at my browser! *checkmates*
    Oh yeah?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by thea View Post
    I got TED on my bookmarks table at my browser! *checkmates*
    Have you seen and/or subscribed to Charter for Compassion? - link on the TED website. Fellow TEDders unite!
    — Richard P. Feynman

author unknown

MBTI
    INTP

I also used to wonder off during class.
    They never found me in the hallway. I had left the building.

The school dinner cost thirty cents.
    Orchestra sandwich cost 19 cents in a nearby restaurant.
    It was better.

Senior Member compulsiverambler's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by InsatiableCuriosity View Post
    A discussion I was involved in a few years ago posited that on a continuum, introspection and Judging would possibly throw up Autism spectrum disorders while on the extreme P side it would possibly be Schizophrenia then on the extraversion side, perhaps bipolar disorder on the P side and OCD on the extreme J side. This is quite a simplistic model to start with but there is further information on likely psychiatric disorders associated with type.

What interests me more is that ADD and ADHD, when we peel off the layers that are caused by poor nutrition and too many chemical additives, are likely to prove to be NPs and SPs being taught in a manner largely suited to the greater proportion of students - ISTJ. :rolli:
    And how does your theory accommodate the fact that many OCD patients also have AD/HD?

OCD often cormorbid with ADHD | Clinical Psychiatry News | Find Articles at BNET

Link between OCD, ADHD, and hoarding