• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Hallucinating after surgery

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Tell me everything there is to know about hallucinating as a result of the side effects given to a person before, during, or even after surgery. What kind of drugs can cause hallucinations, how vivid can they be, and can they really drive a person to kill themselves. Seriously, this is important.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
You'll most likely be put under general anesthesia. With these drugs, hallucinations after you wake up from surgery are rare, and would be short-lasting. Plus you'd be too sedated to really care. And the kind of meds you might be given after surgery, like vicodin for pain, won't cause hallucination.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Well that just doesn't make sense then. Alright thanks. Hmmm.

edit: What about hallucinations from lingering effects of Morphine?

spin-1/2-nuclei

MBTI Type
INTJ
Tell me everything there is to know about hallucinating as a result of the side effects given to a person before, during, or even after surgery. What kind of drugs can cause hallucinations, how vivid can they be, and can they really drive a person to kill themselves. Seriously, this is important.

This is not unheard of - SpringerLink - Journal Article

morophine can also cause this - Morphine Side Effects | Drugs.com

I would suggest talking to a medical doctor immediately and going to the ER if these hallucinations are currently happening.

If you're just looking for some general information on this I can probably do some research into this topic for you at a later time. My best friend is an MD, but I'm on vacation with him and we're at a NASCAR race right now so I don't think he'll have time do look into this any time soon. I also don't have access to my university's scifinder here so I can't read the data in that article for you, but if you or someone else has access to scifinder they can easily get the full paper.

Honestly though if someone is experiencing hallucinations I would suggest going to the doctor or at least phoning the ER and asking if you should come in (phoning them is at least free).

hopefully you find the articles useful. Good luck.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
This is not unheard of - SpringerLink - Journal Article

morophine can also cause this - Morphine Side Effects | Drugs.com

I would suggest talking to a medical doctor immediately and going to the ER if these hallucinations are currently happening.

If you're just looking for some general information on this I can probably do some research into this topic for you at a later time. My best friend is an MD, but I'm on vacation with him and we're at a NASCAR race right now so I don't think he'll have time do look into this any time soon. I also don't have access to my university's scifinder here so I can't read the data in that article for you, but if you or someone else has access to scifinder they can easily get the full paper.

Honestly though if someone is experiencing hallucinations I would suggest going to the doctor or at least phoning the ER and asking if you should come in (phoning them is at least free).

hopefully you find the articles useful. Good luck.

Thanks, I'll read them articles and then get back to you. I don't want to push anyone out of their way to investigate.

And it's too late for that. Sorry to say..

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
My INTJ friend was given morphine once, when he had a back operation, and he had an out-of-body experience. He said it was cool though.

Personally have no experience with any kind of hallucination (aside from my intrinsically skewed perception of reality that is).

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
So, what kind of medicine is given to someone after surgery? What kind of medicine would be effecting a person 5 days after back surgery?

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
So, what kind of medicine is given to someone after surgery? What kind of medicine would be effecting a person 5 days after back surgery?

As far as I know no drug lasts that long. You should talk to your doctor.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Yeah, I did. But is morphine the only thing they'll give you?

I'll check with him next time we chat. But I believe after the operation it was only morphine yeah. The actual anesthetic to induce his coma , during operation, was different though.

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
Friend of mine got Opium pills, as painkillers, after surgery. It contains a lot of psychoactive substances (including morphine and codeine), and might be capable of causing hallucinations as a side effect. I'm not sure, but my friend didn't have them.

As for hallucinations causing you to want to kill yourself. The human psyche/neurology is incredibly complex. My experience with hallucinations is that they are an extension and an enforcement of your mood rather than the cause of it.
I think something else could be causing a depression (serotonin deficiency due to medicines, Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome etc.), which is made stronger by the hallucinations.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
My Dad had very traumatic hallucinations with morphine after bowel surgery ... he relived some graphic epsiodes from his life and they seemed incredibly real to him. It took several days for this to abate. So graphic and frightening were the dreams that it brought him to tears ... he didn't want to sleep in case he would dream them again.

I had demerol after surgery and experienced very life-like hallucinations ... although mine weren't frightening as his were, they seemed incredibly real. As real as real-life.

Are you having hallucinations, OWS?