• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Water, Electricity - now Light.

Mole

Permabanned
My Government pumps water and electricity into my home every day.

But soon they will be pumping laser light into my home as well.

Yes, they have set aside 43 billion dollars to connect every home in Australia to laser light.

At this very moment we are communicating largely by electricity, but electricity is so yesterday, while coherent light is tomorrow.

Of course this is only the beginning, for soon our computers will morph from electrical computers to light computers - as some time ago the Australian National University invented a light switch to replace the electrical switch in our computer chips.

And laser light pumped into our homes will lead to all kind of inventions that we can't even imagine.

Connecting the whole country by laser light is like connecting the whole country by railroad.

The railroad only went to our borders, and was then stopped by the oceans. But laser light will connect us to the whole world. It will be like catching a train to Atlanta or St Petersburg or Osaka at the speed of light.

Arthur Schopenhauer

What is, is.
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
a) How can one "pump" laser light? :rofl1:
b) How are they converting light into usable energy, without the use of electricity?
c) How is the Aussie government going to place these cables in everyones house? Impossibly expensive! (43 Billion? Pfft!)
d) Microchips don't work like that.
e) Are you on medicine?

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm sure he means fiber optics.

Mole

Permabanned
a) How can one "pump" laser light? :rofl1:
b) How are they converting light into usable energy, without the use of electricity?
c) How is the Aussie government going to place these cables in everyones house? Impossibly expensive! (43 Billion? Pfft!)
d) Microchips don't work like that.
e) Are you on medicine?

Yes, into the fibre optic channels are pumped laser light.

'Pumped' is appropriate as light has a pressure like water or electricity.

Well, we have done our sums and it came to 43 billion for every home in Oz. However the latest calculations have shown only 37 billion.

And we have already made a start in Tasmania and quite soon it will be rolled out to 97% of Australian homes.

Microchips are electrical switches but we have already invented light switches, and are planning to build light computers.

And also I would appreciate it if you would cease and desist from making ad hominem attacks on me as they are against the rules of Typology Central and may get you permanently banned.

Arthur Schopenhauer

What is, is.
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
That wasn't an ad hominem attack, Victor. We weren't even debating.

It was an honest question.

Thankyou! :yes:

Mole

Permabanned
That wasn't an ad hominem attack, Victor. We weren't even debating.

It was an honest question.

Thankyou! :yes:

Do you mean to say that a common insult like, "Are you on medicine?", is not an ad hominem attack?

What do you take me for? I know it is an ad hominem attack and I ask the moderators to ban you before you make more ad hominem attacks.

Arthur Schopenhauer

What is, is.
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Do you mean to say that a common insult like, "Are you on medicine?", is not an ad hominem attack?

What do you take me for? I know it is an ad hominem attack and I ask the moderators to ban you before you make more ad hominem attacks.

Perceive my question as you wish, Victor. I shan't and don't want to alter your perception of myself either.

Secondly, ad hominem attacks = logical fallacies specifically designed to break down an opponents position in an argument; ad hominem attacks do not = insults, the two are different.

You are perceiving my comment as an insult. Blah, I'm not going to discuss this further. I have better things to do than play word/forum chess.

Arthur Schopenhauer

What is, is.
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram

Just pointing this out. Irony.

Resonance

Energizer Bunny
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
6w5
Technically Victor could be randomly using Latin words interspersed with English, in which case he would be correct since 'ad hominem' translates as 'to the person' so he could be just saying it is a 'personal attack'. He never said it was a fallacy. :yes:

Arthur Schopenhauer

What is, is.
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Technically Victor could be randomly using Latin words interspersed with English, in which case he would be correct since 'ad hominem' translates as 'to the person' so he could be just saying it is a 'personal attack'. He never said it was a fallacy. :yes:

Actually, I believe "ad hominem" translates into, "argument towards the person".

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9

:jew:

Come to think of it, technically speaking, the question about medicine could have been just a random general query about Victor's health, and whether he was taking any kind of pharmacuticals to ease whatever problem he might have had. The word "medicine" is just a synonym for any kind of pharmacutical drug. He never actually said he was using the expression perjoratively.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
yep... lasers coming through your faucets really CAN set you off your rocker can't they? :laugh:

and if you continue using the words ad hominem attacks you're just furthering your stereotype, dahling :coffee:

Mole

Permabanned
A Utility provides me with water. And a Utility provides me with electricity. And now a Utility is rolling out light.

Quite soon coherent light, laser light, will be connected directly to my house.

We can feel an electric current but we can see light. So all I need is a hologram machine to see you in the round. You would be like a moving sculpture of light.

There is something magical about light. We see it in a sunset, in another's eyes or simply at the movies as that great beam of light hits the screen in front of us.

And light is part of our mythos when we speak of the Enlightenment.

Fortunately my Government seeks the greatest good for the greatest number, so not only will light be provided to my home but to every home in Australia.

The roll-out has already started in Tasmania and we are looking for 8,000 more technicians for the rest of Oz.

But probably the most interesting thing is that we don't know what the effect will be of connecting every home in Australia to coherent light.

Who knows?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
If you switch off your TVs receiver and let it show only white noise, you see in that moment, in a wider sense of definition, the light of the cosmic background radiation hammering thru the tubes of your television with around 60 particels per second.

Thats cool isnt it ? :D

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There is something magical about light. We see it in a sunset, in another's eyes or simply at the movies as that great beam of light hits the screen in front of us.

:yes: The idea of something travelling at ridiculously high speed, that is both a particle and a wave but has no mass, and can interact as both a wave and particle is mind blowing. Light is probably the most purest form of energy you can find (apart from maybe space?), it makes sense to use it as a means of transfering data.

If you switch off your TVs receiver and let it show only white noise, you see in that moment, in a wider sense of definition, the light of the cosmic background radiation hammering thru the tubes of your television with around 60 particels per second.

Thats cool isnt it ? :D

Except that we block off that signal because it's just an annoying noise :mellow:... Hey, how does background radiation come about? I think it was produced by the big bang... There was more to the story...

Mole

Permabanned
Light is probably the most purest form of energy you can find (apart from maybe space?), it makes sense to use it as a means of transfering data.

How odd we would describe light as transferring data. We might as well say a sunset is transferring data, or the light in our lover's eyes is transferring data, or that the light on a movie screen is merely transferring data.

We could say we are having a conversation or say we are merely transferring data.

And I think it is the 'merely' that gives the game away. 'Transferring data' is in fact pejorative. It is putting down magic. It hates the magic of light and turns magic into 'transferring data'.

'Transferring data' is something a depressive would say. It depresses us. It saps our spirit. It fits us for a boring job of transferring data, when we could be having a conversation, or sculpting in light, or discovering the unknown.

'Transferring data' immures us in a cubicle entering data into the keyboard.

'Transferring data' is part of the authoritarian, literate world - the linear sequential world. Whereas, to our eyes, light happens all at once. The speed of light is so fast, we can't even see it, yet it enables us to see everything else.

Light burst forth from the dark universe about 13.7 billion years ago, and it has been travelling ever since, right to our very eyes, where it makes itself at home.

No wonder the Australian Government sees it appropriate to bring light to every Australian home.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
Perceive my question as you wish, Victor. I shan't and don't want to alter your perception of myself either.

Secondly, ad hominem attacks = logical fallacies specifically designed to break down an opponents position in an argument; ad hominem attacks do not = insults, the two are different.

You are perceiving my comment as an insult. Blah, I'm not going to discuss this further. I have better things to do than play word/forum chess.

Are you the guy who thinks god is an intj?

Resonance

Energizer Bunny
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
6w5
Actually, I believe "ad hominem" translates into, "argument towards the person".
That wouldn't be the first time someone has incorrectly tried to correct me by misreading the first paragraph of a wikipedia article.

:jew:

Come to think of it, technically speaking, the question about medicine could have been just a random general query about Victor's health, and whether he was taking any kind of pharmacuticals to ease whatever problem he might have had. The word "medicine" is just a synonym for any kind of pharmacutical drug. He never actually said he was using the expression perjoratively.
Yes, there is that remote possibility. However, if you observe their patterns of behaviour, I think you'll find that my interpretation of Victor's meaning is much more relatively likely than your interpretation of MagnificentMind's.

ie.
Victor using words out of context to create new meaning (note: the entire pretext of this thread)
MagnificentMind coincidentally and unrelatedly developing a concern about someone's mental health while trying to correct them.