• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Artificial Life Boots Up: Manmade DNA Created In Lab

erm

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I'm still waiting to hear any application for this beyond what genetic engineering can already do.

erm

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
it's kind of like making artificial diamonds

If artificial diamonds could already be made, that is.

It's not like they made a life form from scratch, not even close, so it has the same weaknesses that genetic engineering has had for a while.

Resonance

Energizer Bunny
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
6w5

erm

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram

:doh: It was an addition to your simile, not a reference to reality.

It would be like making artificial diamond if artificial diamond was already made regularly.

What is 'from scratch'? Atom creation is an extremely taxing process, but not impossible.

What they did was what genetic modification can already do, except they did it in fewer steps.

They did not make the code itself or the cell (or the chemicals, but that is less important). They copied the code of an already genetically altered organism, managed to "persuade" a near identical organism to rewrite its DNA with what is essentially the same DNA.

If one could make a code or cell from scratch, then new applications would really be mind-boggling. Until then, let those scientists says whatever it takes to get more research money. Meanwhile other scientists are making far greater leaps towards making truly beneficial new forms of life.

Resonance

Energizer Bunny
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
6w5
:doh: It was an addition to your simile, not a reference to reality.

It would be like making artificial diamond if artificial diamond was already made regularly.
"A fourth method, treating graphite with high-power ultrasound, has been demonstrated in the laboratory, but currently has no commercial application."

What they did was what genetic modification can already do, except they did it in fewer steps.

They did not make the code itself or the cell (or the chemicals, but that is less important). They copied the code of an already genetically altered organism, managed to "persuade" a near identical organism to rewrite its DNA with what is essentially the same DNA.

If one could make a code or cell from scratch, then new applications would really be mind-boggling. Until then, let those scientists says whatever it takes to get more research money. Meanwhile other scientists are making far greater leaps towards making truly beneficial new forms of life.
I'm sure the first houses looked like caves, too.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It won't be long before scientists create Brundle Fly! :thumbdown:

Brundlefly.jpg

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
The first few times I saw this thread I misread "Manmade" as "Marmalade" :D

themightybob

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
@Lateralus
I think scientist in general are far more conscientious people than oil executives. The scientific community has ethics, which is clearly something the oil industry lacks.

I guess by your logic we should do away with all potentially dangerous technology then?

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
@Lateralus
I think scientist in general are far more conscientious people than oil executives. The scientific community has ethics, which is clearly something the oil industry lacks.

I guess by your logic we should do away with all potentially dangerous technology then?
Ethics? Climategate?

Regardless, scientists do not necessarily control their creations. Do you believe what Monsanto does with its patented genetically modified organisms is ethical? If not, why don't Monsanto scientists step in and stop the company?

You're right, I hate technology. Congratulations on seeing through my facade.

I think we need a greater degree of caution. The products of nuclear engineering are not self replicating.

In that post, it is clear that I want all "dangerous technology" abolished.