• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Your favorite science

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
social psychology? comparative international macroeconomics? linguistics? :thinking: they're ALL so fun! :wubbie:

as for hard sciences, I enjoyed astronomy... I wanted to be an astronomer when I was a kid for a while :laugh:

KDude

as for hard sciences, I enjoyed astronomy... I wanted to be an astronomer when I was a kid for a while :laugh:

So did I. Until I tilted my telescope down and realized I could spy on people in their apartments a mile away.

No really, astronomy and astrophysics. If anything, it's humbling. It paints a picture of a Universe that tells you to go screw yourself. Absolutely mind boggling how huge and dangerous just our galaxy alone is. And yet... so much bullshit in our lives.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
So did I. Until I tilted my telescope down and realized I could spy on people in their apartments a mile away.

No really, astronomy and astrophysics. If anything, it's humbling. It paints a picture of a Universe that tells you to go screw yourself. Absolutely mind boggling how huge and dangerous just our galaxy alone is. And yet... so much bullshit in our lives.

I kind of find staring at the sky and contemplating the size of the universe to be kind of a reality check... it really puts my problems into perspective, because at least I'm not caught in an event horizon or circling a dying star! :laugh:

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Neuro-, cognitive-, analytical psychology, best if these are combined. Astro- and quantum physics are interesting

Unperson

MBTI Type
ENTP
Which one is it?
Astronomy has always been the best.

Why are you fascinated by it?
So many ways to answer... astronomy (together with physics) tells the tale of our beginning, shows us our ends, tells us how we came to be, and helps us know our place in this grand universe.

Would you consider pursuing it as a career?
Nah. I'll let the astronomers do the work and theorize for myself while they do what they do. I'm admittedly not fit for it.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
evolutionary biology

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Volcanology.

I'm not quite sure, I've simply always been interested in it. (since I was a little kid.)

Yeah, I could see myself pursuing a career in it. If I were to go with a science major, something in that direction would be likely. Though, at the moment, a technology or language major seems more likely.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Which one is it?
Astronomy has always been the best.

So many ways to answer... astronomy (together with physics) tells the tale of our beginning, shows us our ends, tells us how we came to be, and helps us know our place in this grand universe.

Nah. I'll let the astronomers do the work and theorize for myself while they do what they do. I'm admittedly not fit for it.

What do you think about the idea that universum was first only 1d(before big bang), then after big parabum it went to 2d(every particle exactly the same distance from each others) and then formed 3rd dimension from tyese particles starting to attract each other and created mass, energy and this place we see around us in the collision. Black holes being holes in the system, which are in some "zero" dimension, where even the time is absent in our current understanding of it, because its away from the dimensions that we live in. And quantum mechanics being the 4th dimension(if you dont count time as an dimension)? And about the possibility of universum developing new dimensions inside ours(something like quantum physics, but more deeper)?

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Virtually all psychology (though, more specifically, but not limited to, Developmental Psychology, Experimental Psychology, Physiological Psychology, Psychometrics, Social psychology, Cognitive Psychology/Personality Psychology/Typology, Biological Psychology, Neuroscience) followed closely by biology (more specifically, Ecology, Evolutionary Biology, and Anatomy/Physiology).

ygolo

My termites win
Interestingly, it seems that I did not answer this myself.

Which one is it?

Right now, biophysics (or biological physics, because some make the distinction that biophysics is the use of tools that physics created to study biology, while biological physics is the study of the actual physics of biology). The physics of biology.

Because, in life, I see the most amazing spontaneous processes that exists in the universe. I would like to understand how it is that the processes in life can be spontaneous, and perhaps even how they came to be.

Yeah, I know in very general terms we know the free energy of the reactions/processes have to add up to be negative.

But I would like to delve a level deeper--into the fluid-dynamics of the cells, tissues, organs, and systems, into the normal modes/general dynamics of molecular machines that carry out the processes of life, into the energetics of biological processes (like respiration), and even into the quantum mechanics that makes electron transport in mitochondria and chloroplasts possible.

Also, I believe biotechnology is poised to transform society as much as semiconductor/integrated-circuits did in the last half-century (my former career was as a circuit designer for a maker of CPUs/chipsets).

I am pursing it now. I am currently a biophysics PhD student (working for the chemistry department of my school).

Once I graduate, I will have degrees in Mathematics, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, and Biophysics. If I cannot come up with something for society after that much education, I will consider it a failure of my notion of the value of education.

If you don't think this is cool, I don't know what you would:
http://vcell.ndsu.nodak.edu/animations/etc/movie-flash.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbJ0nbzt5Kw
[YOUTUBE="xbJ0nbzt5Kw"]Cellular Respiration (Electron Transport Chain)[/YOUTUBE]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y1dO4nNaKY
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y1dO4nNaKY"]Gradients(ATP Synthase)[/YOUTUBE]

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Interestingly, it seems that I did not answer this myself.

Which one is it?

Right now, biophysics (or biological physics, because some make the distinction that biophysics is the use of tools that physics created to study biology, while biological physics is the study of the actual physics of biology). The physics of biology.

Because, in life, I see the most amazing spontaneous processes that exists in the universe. I would like to understand how it is that the processes in life can be spontaneous, and perhaps even how they came to be.

Yeah, I know in very general terms we know the free energy of the reactions/processes have to add up to be negative.

But I would like to delve a level deeper--into the fluid-dynamics of the cells, tissues, organs, and systems, into the normal modes/general dynamics of molecular machines that carry out the processes of life, into the energetics of biological processes (like respiration), and even into the quantum mechanics that makes electron transport in mitochondria and chloroplasts possible.

Also, I believe biotechnology is poised to transform society as much as semiconductor/integrated-circuits did in the last half-century (my former career was as a circuit designer for a maker of CPUs/chipsets).

I am pursing it now. I am currently a biophysics PhD student (working for the chemistry department of my school).

Once I graduate, I will have degrees in Mathematics, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, and Biophysics. If I cannot come up with something for society after that much education, I will consider it a failure of my notion of the value of education.

If you don't think this is cool, I don't know what you would:
http://vcell.ndsu.nodak.edu/animations/etc/movie-flash.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbJ0nbzt5Kw
[YOUTUBE="xbJ0nbzt5Kw"]Cellular Respiration (Electron Transport Chain)[/YOUTUBE]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y1dO4nNaKY
[YOUTUBE="3y1dO4nNaKY"]Gradients(ATP Synthase)[/YOUTUBE]

This is quite interesting subject, human body is quite amazing thing, all the things going on when action potential travels through axons etc.

And here is an interesting video, but you propably know this stuff

Eruca

78% me
MBTI Type
INxx
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Whichever science did this.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
[YOUTUBE="GYW5G2kbrKk"]Man Flies[/YOUTUBE]

This is pretty excellent, I dont know what science contributed to it, but I like it.

Chaotic Harmony

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
Which one is it? Sociology is my favorite by far. Astronomy and geology are close second and third.

Why are you fascinated by it? I've always been fascinated by the way people act in groups...and how the group acts as a whole.

Would you consider pursuing it as a career? Working on it now actually!