• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

computer not seeing USB drives???

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Is it possible to change a computer, security, firewall, or norton security setting so that your computer no longer sees or responds to your USB ports???

My digital camera used to auto-connect and have the option of downloading new pics. I've done that on a number of occasions. Now they don't see each other. My "auto play" lists still recognizes my camera, they just don't sync.

Any ideas? I think the only change I've had is that comcast switched its free anti-virus/firewall provider form AVG I think it was, to now Norton.

Thanks.
-Scott

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Take norton off your computer immediately. Microsoft Security Essentials is actually very, very good.

You can do this manually in the device driver...but as far as I know it seems like you want your USB ports ON, not off.

In My Computer you should be able to open your camera's SD card by double clicking on the picture of the camera and brows photos that way. Not sure what camera and software you have.

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Take norton off your computer immediately. Microsoft Security Essentials is actually very, very good.

You can do this manually in the device driver...but as far as I know it seems like you want your USB ports ON, not off.

In My Computer you should be able to open your camera's SD card by double clicking on the picture of the camera and brows photos that way. Not sure what camera and software you have.

Why do you say that about Norton, and about MSE??? I've heard from IT people that Microsoft can't do security for squat.

I've got a canon power shot sd500, and windows vista 64 bit. Alas, CD with drivers for SD500 is not vista compatible.

Can you elaborate for me what you meant about manually changing something in the device driver? Vista has a "scanners and camera" option on the control panel. It "claims" I have a scanner that I most assuredly don't, and doesnt see the camera. But again, my "autoplay" tab on the control panel does have my specific camera on it.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Why do you say that about Norton, and about MSE??? I've heard from IT people that Microsoft can't do security for squat.

I've got a canon power shot sd500, and windows vista 64 bit. Alas, CD with drivers for SD500 is not vista compatible.

Can you elaborate for me what you meant about manually changing something in the device driver? Vista has a "scanners and camera" option on the control panel. It "claims" I have a scanner that I most assuredly don't, and doesnt see the camera. But again, my "autoplay" tab on the control panel does have my specific camera on it.

Microsoft Security Essentials Ranks as Best-Performing Free Antivirus - Malware - Lifehacker

In Device Manager [control panel>System>Hardware Tab] you can disable/enable USB ports if you don't want them on, but it just sounds like you DO want yours on, their just not working. I would try to eject the hardware using the the icon on the bottom right of the toolbar, then just try to plug it in.

You don't want to go to the control panel to "see" your camera, you want to go to My Computer. It will list all your drives [C:, D:, Etc] as well as any attached hardware. It might consider your camera to be a hard drive, but it's just referring to the memory card. Double click the camera or SD card icon in My Computer and it should let you browse the photos.