• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Morphogenetic Fields

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Today I am looking at consciousness in science and my journey happens to take me to the subjects of morphogenetics.

Now The Morphogenetic field is curious.

Sheldrake has hypothesized a field of morphic ("pattern-related") resonance in which patterns of knowledge, structure or behavior of a certain kind of thing (whether a salt crystal or a human mind) become increasingly embedded as a "habit," an ingrained pattern of information which influences and is accessible to other members of that category of thing. In commenting on the rat experiments, Sheldrake said: "If rats are taught a new trick in Manchester, then rats of the same breed all over the world should show a tendency to learn the same trick more rapidly, even in the absence of any known type of physical connection or communication. The greater the number of rats that learn it, the easier it should become for their successors."

A minority of biologists have been suggesting the possibility of morphogenetic (form-generating) fields for decades. Sheldrake's unique contribution has been to create a testable hypothesis regarding such fields. Despite the fact that it seems to violate all broadly-accepted principles of science, the experimental evidence is rapidly mounting that, indeed, something of this kind is at work.

Sheldrake has ventured some guesses as to the relationship between morphogenetic fields and our individual memory and intelligence. He suggests that our brains may not contain memories and knowledge, per se, but may be devices for tuning in to relevant sections of the morphogenetic field for human memory, much as a radio tunes into radio waves. Our own personal memories would naturally be more accessible than those of other people or cultures (since, in morphogenetic resonance, like resonates with like), but theoretically the memories of every human (and other entities?) would be available to anyone capable of tuning in.

Sheldrake further wonders if natural laws are the evolving habits of the physical universe. An increasing number of scientists are believing that, ever since the Big Bang, the contents and processes of the universe have been evolving, and are evolving still. Sheldrake notes that it is an act of incredible faith to believe that all the laws governing the universe are so eternal and immutable that they existed prior to any of the contents of the universe. It is much more "natural" to believe that the readily-observable evolution of life, culture and our own selves are merely manifestations of an evolutionary tendency deeply embedded in the very nature of things.

We are all learning. Not just we people -- but we, everything in the universe. And our learning is shared. That's the bottom line of Rupert Sheldrake's work

Does this mean consciousness is changing, our awareness is expanding to encompass our past, present and future experiences. I've always thought that in todays technological society we as a people need to take in so much more than our previous generations, and how does that become possible to process so much information without encountering some kind of stress response, a shock to the system. How can this transitional information seep in and let the conscious mind adapt so well, might morphogenetic fields explain it.

[youtube="RB1OhJBbzkM"]Rupert Sheldrake[/youtube]

Does telepathy exist, the extended mind beyond consciousness or pseudoscience?

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
just one comment: how much you wish something could be true has nothing to do with it's likelihood. For more references, see religions.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
just one comment: how much you wish something could be true has nothing to do with it's likelihood. For more references, see religions.

Yeah, yeah probably, a nice thought to entertain but ultimately occam razor, magical thinking etc.

I dunno wouldn't the collective mind sphere be privy to familiarity of pattern of some sort from past experiences that get passed along through our gene code, you know like a switch, like disease does too. Imagine the gene legacy that passes on whether you are more susceptible to disease states or not. Wouldn't there be some sort of mechanism in place to have this total recall ah ha moment dejavu, that wow this seems familiar although I've never really done it before, how peculiar. That intense feeling of discovery, can't explain why it feels right, why they think it is, but it fits.

Who knows I'm in an exploring kind of mood. I thought it was cool all of yesterday and now well, why do people put so much effort into these things. guh. storms away in a fuss.

Tries to dream of scientificy things.

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1

You're right in the sense universal perception (i.e. everyone sees the chair the same way). Individually, though, perception is very flexible. See: Hallucinations.

Reality is a collective hunch (or something like that).

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Have you played the DS game 999? It's kind of based on that theory.

W

WALMART

The mind has a very high saturation point in regards to modeling the universe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punctuated_equilibrium

The spur to develop language launched us past the stars.

I am very fond, also, of fields and the mind... popular attitudes over the years have whittled at my interest, but I cannot shake the images I've seen.

Have you played the DS game 999? It's kind of based on that theory.

Seems interesting.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
[MENTION=14840]Hypatia[/MENTION] and [MENTION=15886]superunknown[/MENTION]: You basically play as this all around bro named Junpei and you're trapped on a ship with 8 other people. There are doors numbered 1-9 on the boat and you have to go through them by combining with other people to make the proper digital root (5 + 6 = 11, 1 + 1 = 2 and so on) to reach the number 9 door which is the only way to escape. If you can't escape before the 9 hours are up, the boat will sink. :D