User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    type

Default Ducks and sex "arms race"

Some of you know about bird sex. Some of you don't.

Most male birds don't have external genitalia. Waterfowl seems to be the exception. Why?

Duck penises show "arms race" between sexes

For some reason, I've been discussing bird sex with several people lately. I guess it stands to reason that there would be an article about it.
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Whaling is illegal in Oklahoma.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Me thinks you've been watching too much Dogma... either that or standing too close to the guys with the sweet smelling cigarettes

Duck sex? Next thing you know your going to be peeling labels off your beer!!!
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Duck sex? Next thing you know your going to be peeling labels off your beer!!!
    Where do you think baby ducks come from? Not from duckweed, nor from barnacles....
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by rivercrow View Post
    Where do you think baby ducks come from? Not from duckweed, nor from barnacles....
    Can't say I ever thought about it that much. I've never really taken to ducks, aside from Jemima that is.

MBTI
    type

You don't have parrots with hormones in the house, either. :/

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

You don't have parrots with hormones in the house, either. :/
    Well at least your bird doesn't mind being refered to as such!!

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

So I learned that:

1. Ducks "bump" (without the grinding) with the same orifices they piss and dump with. [Let's hope they don't get confused. That could really put a damper on an otherwise romantic evening.]

2. Female ducks have decoy openings, so even the typical mallard rapist might aim for the wrong spot. (BTW, is duck rape a sexual act or merely an act of aggression by disgruntled male mallards? What is the psychology of the typical duck rapist?)

I have to hand it to you, RC -- you've probably surpassed me in knowledge of varied arcane topics and might even beat my ENTP "Jeopardy material" friend as well. He'll be crushed.

(But boy am I learning a lot!)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    So I learned that:

1. Ducks "bump" (without the grinding) with the same orifices they piss and dump with. [Let's hope they don't get confused. That could really put a damper on an otherwise romantic evening.]
    And eggs come from the same place. Care for an omelet?

2. Female ducks have decoy openings, so even the typical mallard rapist might aim for the wrong spot. (BTW, is duck rape a sexual act or merely an act of aggression by disgruntled male mallards? What is the psychology of the typical duck rapist?)
    Feeding over-processed baked goods to ducks skews their hormones, leading to increases of duck gang rapes that sometimes result in death.

I have to hand it to you, RC -- you've probably surpassed me in knowledge of varied arcane topics and might even beat my ENTP "Jeopardy material" friend as well. He'll be crushed.

(But boy am I learning a lot!)
    LOL!

Looks like I blew my post fast.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Feeding over-processed baked goods to ducks skews their hormones, leading to increases of duck gang rapes that sometimes result in death.
    etymology of
    Mallard

mal-lard
    mal = bad (Latin)
    lard = fatty material often used in over-processed bakery items

SO....
    mallard ducks = ducks gone bad due to fatty over-processed baked goods.

Makes sense to me.

Looks like I blew my post fast.
    So fast, you could be a male mallard.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP

"So if it is such a handy tool, why don't they have them any more?"

lol