• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ducks and sex "arms race"

rivercrow

shoshaku jushaku
MBTI Type
type
Some of you know about bird sex. Some of you don't.

Most male birds don't have external genitalia. Waterfowl seems to be the exception. Why?

Duck penises show "arms race" between sexes

For some reason, I've been discussing bird sex with several people lately. I guess it stands to reason that there would be an article about it.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Me thinks you've been watching too much Dogma... either that or standing too close to the guys with the sweet smelling cigarettes ;)

Duck sex? Next thing you know your going to be peeling labels off your beer!!! ;)

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Where do you think baby ducks come from? Not from duckweed, nor from barnacles....
Can't say I ever thought about it that much. I've never really taken to ducks, aside from Jemima that is.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So I learned that:

1. Ducks "bump" (without the grinding) with the same orifices they piss and dump with. [Let's hope they don't get confused. That could really put a damper on an otherwise romantic evening.]

2. Female ducks have decoy openings, so even the typical mallard rapist might aim for the wrong spot. (BTW, is duck rape a sexual act or merely an act of aggression by disgruntled male mallards? What is the psychology of the typical duck rapist?)

I have to hand it to you, RC -- you've probably surpassed me in knowledge of varied arcane topics and might even beat my ENTP "Jeopardy material" friend as well. He'll be crushed.

(But boy am I learning a lot!)

rivercrow

shoshaku jushaku
MBTI Type
type
So I learned that:

1. Ducks "bump" (without the grinding) with the same orifices they piss and dump with. [Let's hope they don't get confused. That could really put a damper on an otherwise romantic evening.]
And eggs come from the same place. Care for an omelet?

2. Female ducks have decoy openings, so even the typical mallard rapist might aim for the wrong spot. (BTW, is duck rape a sexual act or merely an act of aggression by disgruntled male mallards? What is the psychology of the typical duck rapist?)

Feeding over-processed baked goods to ducks skews their hormones, leading to increases of duck gang rapes that sometimes result in death.

I have to hand it to you, RC -- you've probably surpassed me in knowledge of varied arcane topics and might even beat my ENTP "Jeopardy material" friend as well. He'll be crushed.

(But boy am I learning a lot!)

LOL! :D :blush:

Looks like I blew my post fast.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Feeding over-processed baked goods to ducks skews their hormones, leading to increases of duck gang rapes that sometimes result in death.

etymology of
Mallard

mal-lard
mal = bad (Latin)
lard = fatty material often used in over-processed bakery items

SO....
mallard ducks = ducks gone bad due to fatty over-processed baked goods.

Makes sense to me.

Looks like I blew my post fast.

So fast, you could be a male mallard.

Veneti

MBTI Type
XNTX
Actually, sexual selection in the animal kingdom is quite interesting if you look at the psychology of it all.

Why? because you can see the various traits being displayed in various individuals. Quite interesting.

toluene

hmmm yes. duck sex may yet be among the most terrifying phenomena in the animal kingdom. have some isabella rossellini

ps. i am pretty sure that you can be confident that male birds, including waterfowl, do not have external genitalia. reptiles in general seem to have missed out on this amazing feature