• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Biological Clock

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Only a third???

It blew my mind a little that if you carry a daughter you are also carrying your grandchildren. Meaning women are born with all our eggs, they get made while we're getting made in the womb. Deep.

I don't know. More and more women are having babies closer to 40 - healthy babies. I wonder if we've learned so much about maintaining health that this whole thing about having kids when you're younger is a crock of shit. Really.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I was thinking that maybe a woman radically changes her lifestyle later in life. What genes would be turned on/off because of this lifestyle change and would they be passed on to the child if the baby is conceived before or after the mother's lifestyle change?

I would honestly think that many women in their thirties have healthier lifestyles than women in their teens and twenties who might be partying more, drinking more, taking drugs, getting less sleep, etc. All of that plays into reproductive health, I know.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I don't know. More and more women are having babies closer to 40 - healthy babies. I wonder if we've learned so much about maintaining health that this whole thing about having kids when you're younger is a crock of shit. Really.

Have you talked to many of these women? Most women I know who have their first babies in their late 30's and into their 40's end up having a lot of trouble. It's not across the board, but it is very, very common to have trouble when you wait that long.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Have you talked to many of these women? Most women I know who have their first babies in their late 30's and into their 40's end up having a lot of trouble. It's not across the board, but it is very, very common to have trouble when you wait that long.

I know a woman who had three kids in her late thirties. She and her husband waited because they wanted stability. She didn't have any problems that I'm aware of. I know a woman who is 24 who can't get pregnant because of obesity-related health issues. I think it's all relative.

I will agree though that waiting until past 40 is pushing it.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ

To some degree I think you're right; Taking care of your health does help a lot. But I think the age issue has more to with the eggs sitting around too long.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Exactly. It's biological, not some plot to keep women having babies in their 20's.

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
To some degree I think you're right; Taking care of your health does help a lot. But I think the age issue has more to with the eggs sitting around too long.

Not to mention that the eggs are (can be) damaged by what the woman has done to her body, and there are the environmental factors up until that point as well.

So yes, a woman may be at a healthier point physically in her late 30's than in her twenties, but the damaged sustained in her twenties would still be there in her eggs.

ElizaJane

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5

Yeah, the older you get, the less stable the DNA is in the eggs, which is why older mothers are more likely to have children with chromosomal problems.

There seems to be a lot of promising research about the role antioxidants play in protecting the egg DNA from free radicals. Also, a lot of people swear by royal jelly (a bee product) for increasing egg health. Sounds like an old wives' tale (literally), but even IVF doctors recommend royal jelly in the months leading up to the procedure.

I'm 29 myself. I got the baby urge at 25, which I soothed by getting a cat. But now my biological clock is almost audible... :shocking:

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Pregnancy in the 20’s

Women in their twenties have a good chance of becoming pregnant as a result of a relatively greater number of eggs in their ovaries. Additionally, a larger percentage of those eggs are normal genetically. Since a woman is born with all of the eggs that they will have in their lifetime, the older she gets the fewer eggs are left. In addition, as women age the percentage of genetically normal eggs remaining decreases. This is why women have a decreasing fertility rate, increased miscarriage rate and increased chance of birth defects like Down syndrome as they age.

The pregnancy rate per month of a woman in her 20’s is about 20-25%. The spontaneous miscarriage rate is only about 5-10% and the incidence of a genetic abnormality like Down syndrome is about 1/1200.

Pregnancy in the early 30’s

Women in their thirties will experience a decline in their fertility such that the fertility rate per month is about 15%. The risk of miscarriage at thirty is about 20%. It is important for all women contemplating pregnancy to start prenatal vitamins at least one month prior to starting to try to become pregnant since there is evidence that extra folic acid prior to pregnancy decrease the incidence of certain types of birth defects. There is also some data suggesting that there is benefit to taking extra omega 3 fatty acid supplements during pregnancy as well.

Pregnancy over Age 35 and Related Risks

A number of different problems characterize the ability to achieve pregnancy over 35. There is a noticeable decline in the fertility rate starting at age 35 to a level of about 10% per month. The pregnancy risk over 35 is higher as well as evidenced an increase in the miscarriage rate and the incidence of genetic abnormality in pregnancy. At 35, the miscarriage rate is 25% and the risk of Down syndrome becomes about 1/350.

Pregnancy over 40 and Related Risks

There is a sharp decline in a woman’s ability to achieve pregnancy over age forty. The fertility rate per month is only about 5% and even with in Vitro Fertilization (IVF), the most successful infertility treatment available, the pregnancy rate is only about 10% per try. This is due to the greatly reduced number of normal eggs remaining in the ovaries of a woman over forty. Estimates from embryo biopsy reveal that at least 90% of a woman’s eggs are genetically abnormal when a woman is over 40. This explains the increased pregnancy risk over 40. The miscarriage rate is 33% at age 40. Genetically abnormal pregnancies are more common as well with an incidence of 1/38 at age 40. As women get older the risks of medical conditions complicating pregnancy increase. Complications of pregnancy that increase with age include elevated blood pressure, gestational diabetes, premature labor and bleeding disorders such as placental abruption.

Pregnancy over 45 and Related Risks

Pregnancy over 45 is a very difficult proposition. Women over 45 have less than a 1% chance of getting pregnant using their own eggs. This is because virtually all of their remaining eggs are genetically abnormal. Successful pregnancy over 45 is therefore nearly always the result of egg donation. Many high profile women who have become pregnant in their forties, especially after the age of 45 did so with the help of donor eggs. The pregnancy risk over 45 is also increased. In the unlikely event that a woman over 45 becomes pregnant with her own eggs, the pregnancy risk over 45 results in a miscarriage rate of at least 50% and the incidence of a genetically abnormal pregnancy of 1 in 12. There is also a significantly higher risk of maternal and fetal mortality with pregnancy over 45 compared to younger women. It is especially important to make sure that a woman’s body is able to tolerate the stresses that pregnancy places on it prior to becoming pregnant. This means that a woman should be checked for problems like high blood pressure, heart disease and diabetes before trying to become pregnant.

Pregnancy over age 35 and Pregnancy Risks

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
In that article one of the women they mention as making a good choice looks like she said she used IVF and felt lucky that her eggs were still viable.

Marcia Cross, the actress, is one of the few celebrities to acknowledge, last year in a USA Today article, that older women may use donor eggs, “which doesn’t make the baby any less beautiful or perfect. One’s own eggs only last so long, and sometimes at 43 or 44 you can have your own baby, but statistically it’s very difficult and expensive. You don’t want to wait that long.” In a People cover story published after her twin girls were born, Cross was described as having “beat the odds” of conceiving via I.V.F. at age 44 using her own eggs.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/15/magazine/15egg-t.html?pagewanted=6&_r=1

I didn't keep looking at the other women in the article. At least one other went to a fertility clinic.

The American Academy of Reproductive Medicine would agree — by their estimate, at age 41, 29% of women are infertile.
Celeb Fertility | Famecrawler

I am in a generation that was told to wait to have kids till after college and after you have a job and after you.... And I know too many women who waited and ended up regretting their decision.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Like most things, a balance is likely wise.

However, if you are over 45, the chances of conceiving with your own eggs is very unlikely.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
In that article one of the women they mention as making a good choice looks like she said she used IVF and felt lucky that her eggs were still viable.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/15/magazine/15egg-t.html?pagewanted=6&_r=1

I didn't keep looking at the other women in the article. At least one other went to a fertility clinic.

Celeb Fertility | Famecrawler

I am in a generation that was told to wait to have kids till after college and after you have a job and after you.... And I know too many women who waited and ended up regretting their decision.

I think it's a good idea to have kids before 40. People can always adopt, too, if they want children that badly at a later age.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
There is also the option of cryogenically freezing eggs.

I was thinking this too. Store them from the younger years for when you're ready, but I think there's still a shelf life that needs to be taken into account.

ObeyBunny

MBTI Type
INTJ
I watched the movie Baby Mama with Tina Fey and Amy Poehler, and it sort of terrified me a little bit. Is this biological clock thing fer rills? Does it turn women into these crazed, will-do-anything-for-baby people? Have there been any studies done studies to confirm or disprove that it is in fact a biological clock and not some sort of socio-cultural clock?

Uhh- yes and no. I've heard of women who become depressed if they hit the magic number 40 without having a kid. Although, it doesn’t seem to hit them as hard if they are married or recently divorced. I think it’s more of a matter of being lonely then a sudden drastic increased desire for children.

A lot of woman who have never had kids view the child/parent bond to be the same as a best-friend/best friend-bond.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
A lot of woman who have never had kids view the child/parent bond to be the same as a best-friend/best friend-bond.

I wonder why, because that's inaccurate. Loving a child is more like platonically being in love. It's like falling in love with someone, without any adult physical element. As an aunt, I would kill anyone who messed with my favorite nephew. The feelings I have toward him are the closest thing I've ever experienced to parent-child love, and I assume that if I had actually given birth to him the feeling would be even more intense. My range of comparison includes the fact that I have been pregnant before (late term miscarriage) and have experienced the intense, inexplicable emotional sense of loss of losing a pregnancy at sixteen weeks and observing other women, including my two sisters who have children.

leosmith678

MBTI Type
sfsf
Enneagram
dfds
Well this would the best way to save source of energy. Its really good and natural. Also I would say the best natural and very i like is Sand clock. I hope this biological clock give fruitful results.