• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Cold weather creature question

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
How do cold weather creatures (Arctic fish, tundra insects, etc.), keep their metabolism going at the low temperatures they will likely have?

This just occurred to me recently. I have heard about how hypothermia in humans will really slow most body processes down (possibly because of hormones or nerve signals, but still slower.), how chemical reactions, diffusion, etc. sometimes change speeds quite a lot with temperature, and it also seems that smaller creatures in cold water or cold air with no fur and such will pretty easily get cold enough to cause things to slow down.

Usehername

On a mission
How do cold weather creatures (Arctic fish, tundra insects, etc.), keep their metabolism going at the low temperatures they will likely have?

This just occurred to me recently. I have heard about how hypothermia in humans will really slow most body processes down (possibly because of hormones or nerve signals, but still slower.), how chemical reactions, diffusion, etc. sometimes change speeds quite a lot with temperature, and it also seems that smaller creatures in cold water or cold air with no fur and such will pretty easily get cold enough to cause things to slow down.

they slow down the heart rate a ton, that's really all that I know.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
-because fish are cold-blooded, their body temperature in cold water is very low, so their metabolism is slowed
-most of them have molecular specializations on the cellular level that allow them to survive without molecular damage from the cold
-all the chemical reactions that occur are much, much slower, although a lot of species have evolved specialized enzymes which help compensate for the effect of the cold
-a lot of arctic fish barely eat anything, and have to wait a long time for it to digest, but they have low energy needs so it balances out.
-they also move more slowly, but since predator/prey fish would also be moving slowly, it wouldn't be that huge of a disadvantage
-basically everything in their body happens in slow motion, maybe with some exceptions I'm unaware of

It's much harder for warm blooded creatures, who have to maintain a constant body temperature that's far higher than the environment in order to survive. Especially on land, which is far colder than the water.

sundowning

MBTI Type
ISTP
This reminds me of a type of worm they found living in glaciers that - as the story goes - actually 'melts' if removed to a warmer environment.

It's interesting because one of the things scientists are look at when talking about the earliest occurence of life (or extraterrestrial life) are these extreme environments where life amazingly exists.

(...that doesn't have much to do with complex organisms or the OP for that matter, but I thought I'd just throw it out there anyway.)

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I was thinking of the creatures that live near the undersea vents, where the temperature and pressure is so high. I think I remember reading that they have always died when brought to areas of "normal" temp/pressure.