• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

And they wonder why some people fear vaccines?

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
"CDC estimated that about 36,000 people died of seasonal flu-related causes each year, on average, during the 1990s in the United States."

I would suggest (without any further evidence), that you have much lower odds of dying from the flu shot, than of getting the flu and dying from it, in my opinion, therefore...it's worth it. Feel free to research, but realize that means the number of people that die from the flu every year, is around the number that die from car accidents a year.

What many might not consider though is that the people who die from getting the flu include the old, very young, possibly pregnant women, people with immunodeficiency issues, and even seemingly healthy people who have caught it and just ignored the symptoms, going out and running marathons or working two jobs like they would if they were healthy. Not giving your body good treatment, nutrition, and rest and ignoring what your body is telling you will most likely weaken your immune system enough for the flu strain to strengthen.

I just feel like it's a waste if everyone gets the flu shot. The people listed above should, but if you're usually chipper then don't worry about it. I personally don't think I'll ever get a flu shot, since I never had the flu before. :yes:

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
yeah I think I'll take vaccinations over polio/smallpox/measles/mumps/etc.

Anti-vac stuff in the media is sensationalist and alarmist and far more dangerous than the actual vaccine.

To put it another way, 30,000 people a year die in car crashes, but we aren't pulling cars off of the street.

It sucks when something like what happened to that girl in the video happen, but you can't make anything 100% safe, but the alternatives are far worse.

+1252463

If you are against vaccines, then you are implicitly and passively alright with humans/yourself dying of smallpox, hepatitis, typhoid, polio, whooping cough, yellow fever, measles, mumps, rubella, rabies, tetanus, the flu, shingles, [insert disgusting deadly pathogen here]. All you fools have fun with your diseases.

Pixelholic

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
What many might not consider though is that the people who die from getting the flu include the old, very young, possibly pregnant women, people with immunodeficiency issues, and even seemingly healthy people who have caught it and just ignored the symptoms, going out and running marathons or working two jobs like they would if they were healthy. Not giving your body good treatment, nutrition, and rest and ignoring what your body is telling you will most likely weaken your immune system enough for the flu strain to strengthen.

I just feel like it's a waste if everyone gets the flu shot. The people listed above should, but if you're usually chipper then don't worry about it. I personally don't think I'll ever get a flu shot, since I never had the flu before. :yes:

This is a much better reason to skip a flu shot than basing your decision on a sensationalist news piece though.

H1N1 was worrisome because the people who were dying from it weren't the usual flu victims. Healthy adults between 19 and 30 were being affected the most.

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Another reason why it became such a scare is because no one knew if it had the potency to wipe out millions of people of like the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic, since healthy adults were dying from it.