• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Genographic Testing

Loxias

MBTI Type
INxj
Enneagram
4w5
I know that I2b1 is mainly associated with Germanic people and Lower Saxony, but you can find it in other places too.
However, it indeed doesn't contradict your genealogical work, then it's good.

What made you think you were French, originally?

alexx

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
2w1
My mother who was told that we were and passed it down lol.

And if anyone is thinking of getting the testing done, I would advise against genebase. They screwed with my markers once and it was a mess. For someone that didn't know what to look for or that something was off it might have never been resolved.

On top, its not compatible really with Ysearch and Mitosearch - you have to play with your markers to make it work. I used FTdna for my fathers DNA and they were GREAT!

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I2B1 is a Germanic haplotype, represented most in Lower Saxony.

Actually, I2b1 is fairly common in many French provinces, especially in the Val de Loire area...

So according to your Y and mt DNA haplogroups, well... you're like a typical person born in Western Europe. It could be either Germany, northern France, Benelux, southern Britain or Tuscany: a very wide choice.

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Anyway. Because of my odd family genetic background, I had my genes screened to detect possible anomalies.
The good news is that curiously, I seem to have escaped to most known genetic disorders, despite the curious layout of my internal organs. For instance, my liver, heart and spleen aren't exactly where they are supposed to be, according to human statistics. Just 5 or 10 centimeters away, sometimes more... But for a surgeon, this is a nightmare. Mines always said they had never experienced something like that in their entire career, even if it reminds them of an obscure technical souvenir during their Medicine school days. My caecum was not placed near the lower half of the abdomen, but directly behind my liver: this mutation occurs extremely rarely, and almost exclusively in a few remote Eastern Siberian tribes.

But do not worry for me, these organs are 100% functional. :D

---

So:

My father Y haplogroup is R1b2a1a2 (P312, according to the current nomenclature). That's normal, it's one of the most common Y haplogroups in Western France (if not the most), and especially in Celtic/Atlantic populations.

But what's curious is my mtDNA haplotype... It is supposed to be... Y!
This is another big clue that leads to a direct Eastern Siberian maternal ancestor. But how those genes managed to cross all Eurasia to end in an Ashkenazic family... well... This is surely an amazing journey. We're probably the only family in France with such a mtDNA.

As a matter of fact, lots of my genetic markers are close to the Ainu tribe of northern Japan. But they are mixed with typical, Western European/Ashkenazic markers, so it's a really odd combination. But I also probably inherited some odd genes from my father's, because my paternal aunt has the same issue with her heart layout.

My blood type is A2B.

My elder brother, on the other hand, seems to be more "typical". Unfortunately for him, he has haemochromatosis, while I haven't. And his blood type is O: he's a universal donor (well, he has to regularly give it now!), while I'm an universal receiver.... Curious isn't it? ;)

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Anyway. Because of my odd family genetic background, I had my genes screened to detect possible anomalies.
The good news is that curiously, I seem to have escaped to most known genetic disorders, despite the curious layout of my internal organs. For instance, my liver, heart and spleen aren't exactly where they are supposed to be, according to human statistics. Just 5 or 10 centimeters away, sometimes more... But for a surgeon, this is a nightmare. Mines always said they had never experienced something like that in their entire career, even if it reminds them of an obscure technical souvenir during their Medicine school days. My caecum was not placed near the lower half of the abdomen, but directly behind my liver: this mutation occurs extremely rarely, and almost exclusively in a few remote Eastern Siberian tribes.
Wow, i was never interested in the screening side befor, but if the screening can also relate to genetic background then that puts a whole new spin on it

But do not worry for me, these organs are 100% functional. :D
:happy:

---
So:

My father Y haplogroup is R1b2a1a2 (P312, according to the current nomenclature). That's normal, it's one of the most common Y haplogroups in Western France (if not the most), and especially in Celtic/Atlantic populations.

But what's curious is my mtDNA haplotype... It is supposed to be... Y!
This is another big clue that leads to a direct Eastern Siberian maternal ancestor. But how those genes managed to cross all Eurasia to end in an Ashkenazic family... well... This is surely an amazing journey. We're probably the only family in France with such a mtDNA.
Thats so interesting, my imagination is racing with possibilities.... A tribe that travelled the distance but only two made it to their destination (France) and hid in a cave and started their own family only to mix with the general population a hundred years ago....In my mind it's a much more elaborate story, thats the short version.

As a matter of fact, lots of my genetic markers are close to the Ainu tribe of northern Japan. But they are mixed with typical, Western European/Ashkenazic markers, so it's a really odd combination. But I also probably inherited some odd genes from my father's, because my paternal aunt has the same issue with her heart layout.

My blood type is A2B.

My elder brother, on the other hand, seems to be more "typical". Unfortunately for him, he has haemochromatosis, while I haven't. And his blood type is O: he's a universal donor (well, he has to regularly give it now!), while I'm an universal receiver.... Curious isn't it? ;)
Haha, curiouser and curiouser! I am blood type A- but i don't quite know how that relates to genographia, do you?

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Thats so interesting, my imagination is racing with possibilities.... A tribe that travelled the distance but only two made it to their destination (France) and hid in a cave and started their own family only to mix with the general population a hundred years ago....In my mind it's a much more elaborate story, thats the short version.

Actually, we have no clue since the archives of my family were destroyed either by the Nazi and the Soviet governments.

But one elaborate hypothesis relates to a possible meeting which could have occured in Birobidzhan, between a Jewish exile and a native Nivkh woman (they lived in almost the same area, near Khabarovsk).

Birobidzhan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nivkhs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Who knows what really happened, then?
Birobidzhan was a kind of early Stalinian gulag (1928). People were deported there by force, and not a lot survived to the rigors of Siberian winters.

It could be interesting, yet the time index doesn't fit very well. Too recent.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So if I were to do this, could I find out anything about my mother's dad?