• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How to make a test?

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm not sure in which topic to put this question... but here goes.

I want to make a test (a MBTI one indeed).
I want to put it on my website. If necessary, I'll use a link, but I'd prefer to incorporate it into my website.
I want to use questions with five answering possibilities: "absolutely not", "not really", "neutral", "rather yes" and "absolutely yes". These should score -2, -1, 0, 1, 2 points towards a trait. (eg. J, then "Minus J" = "P"). Of course, if I can use 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 instead that's not a problem.
I want to show the result in two different ways: the type and the percentages.

Examples:

You are an ESTJ. [description]
You score 30% E, 50%S, 40%T and 20% J.

You are an ENTP [description]
You score 30% E, 50%N, 40%T and 20% P.
- OR -
You score 30% E, -50%S, 40%T and -20% J. (but preferably the former... I don't want to curse the INFPs with totally negative results :newwink:)

I've created the test already in Excel.

Any ideas how to do it?

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I wouldn't use negative percentages. Also, I'd try to include individual N vs S and T v F explanations.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Please?
I didn't ask advice on the content or the presentation. I just want technical advice.
I've made the thing in Excel. It doesn't show negative numbers (though it uses them for calculating).
I want either to incorporate the Excel thing in my website, OR make a web-based test. So that people who visit my website can take my test. I don't care if the web-based thing uses negative numbers or not.
I just don't want it to show eg. "you're 10%J" when the person is a P... something which would happen if you score on a scale from 0% to 100% with "50% J" actually meaning "balanced".

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Oh oops! Seems like something you'd build in Java, or maybe use the "build your own" quiz thing in Helloquizy or so.

Sorry about that.

am_i_evil666

Well, the only suggestion I can give you is to use Okcupid or Helloquizzy. Actually, this wouldn't be to hard to make in C++. Unfortunately, I have no idea how you could use a C++ program on a website.

MBTI Type
INFP
This would be pretty easy with a simple XHTML form and some PHP. Of course, it's easy for me to just say "learn PHP lol" but to be quite honest it would be the best way.

You might try Okcupid as suggested earlier. It's the only off-site quiz engine I've ever really experimented with.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Thanks for moving, Trinity, I wasn't sure about it...
Thanks for the php hint, Sketch. I've googled php and found a nice tutorial... it IS easy! (well, I've been programming in Basic since I was three, so I'm familiar with computer programming...)

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
No. Three years old. (I'm probably exaggerating, but not really much...) My program was:

10 print "XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX"
20 goto 10

makes the screen full of pretty crosses :D
(of course, I had to hit break to stop the program running...)