• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Antivir

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Okay, this isn't actually a fluffy post, I really do need help.

Antivir has managed to worm its way into my computer system, and for some reason I cannot seem to uninstall programs via control panel.

What is more, all my desktop icons have disappeared.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Microsoft Security Essentials is one of the best free antivirus/antimalware programs out there right now. Also, something like Antimalware bytes is good too. I'd give it a good scrub. If not, reformat time baby, since it doesn't sound like you'll be able to do a system restore.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If I download Antimalware bytes, does it matter if I just get the free version, or the full one?

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Not sure but it should be fine. Really the microsoft one is the best, and most complete utility I've used. I'd try that one first.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Okay, I downloaded it, but it says I need to open the link with a file...?

(I am sorry, you are going to have to hold my hand through this)

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Okay, I downloaded it, but it says I need to open the link with a file...?

(I am sorry, you are going to have to hold my hand through this)

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Well save it to disk. Open and run. I'd do a full scan, might take a while if you've got a lot of stuff saved.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Opening, or actually not. It won't open. It does the same thing as the uninstall programs: nothing.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Might have to try it in safe mode. You'd need to restart your computer, and as it is turning on, press f8 and it'll bring you to a screen. I'd select safe mode with networking. Hopefully it will allow you to run it in safe mode. If not...reformat.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Okay. How do I reformat?

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
Yikes. Which antivirus have you been using to date, out of morbid interest? Name it and shame it.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
We had been using spybot, but I have no idea if it is still on here. Haven't searched. I am kind of concerned about getting this bastard off of my computer. It is rather humbling. I really need to look more into computer stuff.

Also, I am really worried it is just my ignorance that is disabling me from getting rid of this. Time to try safe mode.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I had a virus like this...some of the malicious viruses pose as antivirus software. Then they disable your REAL antivirus, which appears to be happening with the Microsoft thing you downloaded. I had to just keep running my antivirus over and over until it finally caught the thing. Good luck :)

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thanks! I appreciate it.

Okay, for anyone who knows how to get around it, I can finally open change/remove programs, but unfortunately, the little "change" is proving to be annoying, because as soon as I click it, it brings up the antivir. I am going to run microsoft essentials, because for some reason it wouldn't let me run it in safe mode.

MBTI Type
INFP
We had been using spybot, but I have no idea if it is still on here.

Spybot isn't an anti-virus software.

JocktheMotie said:
Microsoft Security Essentials is one of the best free antivirus/antimalware programs out there right now.

Sorry, but I wouldn't touch a Microsoft anti-malware product with a 10 foot pole. I would suggest Avast! for Windows XP/Vista/7. It is free for home use, and quite user-friendly.

Honestly, though, I would recommend backing up all your important files and completely re-installing Windows, as Jock suggested. Even if you get "rid" of the malware, it might still lurk on the system. To perform a re-install, you will need either a Windows XP/Vista install disc, or the "system restore" CDs that came with your computer. Do you have either of the aforementioned?

Are you able to back up your files to an external hard drive? Or maybe burn them to DVD?

If you need help with this, let me know either via this thread, wall post, or PM. I'd be happy to help.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
While we're on the topic, is AVG free version any good? I'm running that on Windows 7, along with Malwarebyte anti-malware and Superantispyware. I just can't bring myself to trust Microsoft. I'd pay money for anti-virus software if I thought it was worth it, but as far as I've read the free stuff does just as good a job as long as you have a few of them.

MBTI Type
INFP
While we're on the topic, is AVG free version any good? I'm running that on Windows 7, along with Malwarebyte anti-malware and Superantispyware. I just can't bring myself to trust Microsoft. I'd pay money for anti-virus software if I thought it was worth it, but as far as I've read the free stuff does just as good a job as long as you have a few of them.

AVG was good back about 5 or so years ago. At the time it was best of its category. Today, it's been rendered obsolete, if you ask me. It's too bulky and obnoxious compared to some of the newcomers on the market.

Avast! is better on memory usage and less extroverted when it comes to its communication with the user. It's fantastic on Windows 7. I've been running Windows 7 64-bit and Avast! together for a good 8 months, without a single flaw. Combine Avast! with the improved Windows Firewall in 7 and it makes for a worthy setup.

Comodo Internet Security is another good freebie. Anti-virus, anti-malware, and firewall all bundled into one. A tad bit more for the power user (but not much more advanced, still quite easy to figure out).

Honestly, if you're going to use an anti-spyware application, don't keep it running at all times. It will prove to be a memory hog and an unnecessary annoyance. Just have it run a periodic scan, maybe every other week or so. Use a good browser (Opera, Firefox) and be smart about what you download, and you will rarely have problems with spyware.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Sorry, but I wouldn't touch a Microsoft anti-malware product with a 10 foot pole. I would suggest Avast! for Windows XP/Vista/7. It is free for home use, and quite user-friendly.

Microsoft Security Essentials Ranks as Best-Performing Free Antivirus - Malware - Lifehacker

Lifehacker said:
Out of all the products tested, Microsoft Security Essentials was the best-performing free antivirus solution, and one of only two that received "very fast" on each of the real-world tests, earning it their top award: an "advanced+" ranking. We've been telling you for a while that you don't need to pay for Windows security, and now with MSE ranked alongside the top paid apps in both malware removal and performance, you might want to consider making the switch.

I understand the trepidation against Microsoft, but it really is the best free software out there. Non-intrusive, light on resources, fast, and quite comprehensive.

Granted, I used to have myself completely unprotected and I've never had problems. Mostly comes down to smart internet use, and most virus problems are the result of clever uhh, social engineering [basically, people are idiots and will click on anything].

But, whatever makes you feel comfortable.