• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Bodies the Exhibition

rivercrow

shoshaku jushaku
MBTI Type
type
From what I was reading, the Body Works/Nazi guy invented the process and The Body/Chinese Prisoners guy was his protege who split off to do his own thing.

LOL. This whole convo is getting crasser by the moment.

What I meant to comment before was that all exhibitions of human remains have an ethical component. Even if we don't know the person, shouldn't we respect the dead? If the person is anonymous, does that raise the stakes on how we should treat the body?

Displays of humans as objects.... It's dehumanizing by default.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Yeah, I think that NPR piece referenced their working together. I had originally heard that the Body Works guy took only volunteers (people who willed their bodies to him specifically) which I have no ethical issue with whatsoever. I'm a little more squeamish about the whole "unclaimed bodies" part of the equation, even if they weren't Chinese dissidents. Not squeamish enough to stay away, I guess.

rivercrow

shoshaku jushaku
MBTI Type
type
Yeah, I think that NPR piece referenced their working together. I had originally heard that the Body Works guy took only volunteers (people who willed their bodies to him specifically) which I have no ethical issue with whatsoever. I'm a little more squeamish about the whole "unclaimed bodies" part of the equation, even if they weren't Chinese dissidents. Not squeamish enough to stay away, I guess.

Yeah, that nails it. The Nazi show it is.

There's a brat stand down the street we can hit for lunch, too.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Yeah, that nails it. The Nazi show it is.

There's a brat stand down the street we can hit for lunch, too.

I believe the original guy used unclaimed bodies as well, but he promises he got them ethically from universities. Still, questionable ethics are better than almost certainly bad ones. :)

Wolf

only bites when provoked
MBTI Type
INTJ
The Body Works guy has a disclaimer on his website about how he would never get bodies from Chinese prisons. I think there's a rivalry between him and the Bodies: The Exhibition guy. How bizarre, how bizarre.
Reminds me of this one CEO I know...

Wolf

only bites when provoked
MBTI Type
INTJ
I find it strange that those with no claimed religious morality find this wrong in a distinctly religious way, while they should not care.

Why do you need to respect dead bodies? That's a totally archaic mentality.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
I find it strange that those with no claimed religious morality find this wrong in a distinctly religious way, while they should not care.

You know, I'm going to agree with you. They're dead, they don't care. Funerals are for the living, not the dead.

My mother tells us to bury her in a pine box and send her flowers while she's alive. It makes so much more sense.

rivercrow

shoshaku jushaku
MBTI Type
type

You mean me, personally? Or do you mean "you" in the generic sense?

rivercrow

shoshaku jushaku
MBTI Type
type
Generic. See post.

See post. See post stand. Stand, post, stand.

I'll take a stab.
  • We respect our dead in recognition of our mortality.
  • We respect our dead to show how we ourselves would prefer to be treated.
  • Respecting the dead deobjectifies them. Objectifying humans is a slippery slope--do we objectify only the dead ones, or extend that to the living as well? Only some of the living? Sure, it's a matter of degree.
  • Objectifying living creatures in general carries some risk. Objectify only the lower life forms? How far up can we objectify? Some argue that objectification of any living being forces us to be desensitized to our own objectification.

etc....

:D

starla

MBTI Type
INTP
I saw the one in Durham. It was interesting. People are made of steak, it seems. I highly recommend it.

C.J.Woolf

respect the brick
MBTI Type
INTP
There appeared to be some kind mold or mildew on one side of the brain stem, which made Toonia really sick. But I explained to her, That's what the Science Museum is for; molding young minds. It didn't seem to help.
BWAH!

I'm surprised that your compassion did not for Toonia mushroom into courage for her to continue.

I went with my friend Augustus once, and when we left, I remember chortling to him, "Boy, that was fun Gus!"
Damn you, beat me to it.

Still, it reminds me of the utilitarian's motto "WWMD?": What Would Mill Do?

Dansker

MBTI Type
INTP
There is a similar exhibition on in Sydney at present.

http://www.amazinghumanbody.com.au/

Last night there was a TV show on with Dr Gunther Von Hagens and he took the skin off a body to show how muscles and tendons in the body work, allowing us to move.

It was interesting, but I have to admit I lasted only about 30 minutes into it. There was something about seeing a body hanging there with no skin on it that made me feel a little ill.

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
I saw one of these body things once at science and industry. It didn't gros me out at all, it mostly looked like really good plastic models of body parts rather than the actual body parts, the only bad part was when my mind drifted to the fact that some of the people were pretty young, or in other worse than normal situations for dying.

rivercrow

shoshaku jushaku
MBTI Type
type
For some reason I have advertisements for fruit and produce running through my mind--only the ripest tomatoes, fresh off the vine....

Jezebel

MBTI Type
intj
I went to Body Worlds a couple of years ago. My boyfriend and I were both fascinated, but one of our friends walked out halfway through the exhibit.

I also recommend the mutter museum in Philadelphia. I enjoyed it mostly for the same reasons, but it has more of a focus on oddities and medical history.

rivercrow

shoshaku jushaku
MBTI Type
type
Oh, yes. The Mutter Museum is on my short list of pilgrimage sites.