• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The suprising science of motivation

Tantive

MBTI Type
INFP
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrkrvAUbU9Y"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrkrvAUbU9Y[/YOUTUBE]

He states his case well. Makes me wonder if I ever find myself a place with this kind of a business model ;P

KDude

Thanks for the link..

I knew Google operated this way somewhat (I'm referring to the "20% Time" he mentions in the vid), but I always thought it was just some quirky thing that came from the Open Source culture. Didn't know that there was an actual business model they were following.

Anyhow, this would be perfect for me. In my experience though, I can't think of a job where I didn't meet some resistance to even the slightest level of autonomy or creativity. And I did get creative at all, I had to sort of keep it a secret.

Mole

Permabanned
Autonomy

So the question is - how can we be autonomous on Typology Central?

Or how can we free ourselves from control on Central?

Well, the prime means of social control is ideological. The prime means of social control is MBTI.

So how can we free ourselves from MBTI?

The answer is easy - we free ourselves from an ideology by thinking about it.

This is not as easy as it sounds because thinking about it means not doing it.

For doing it stops us from thinking about it.

But once we start thinking about it, we can see it is a pernicious confidence trick, a way of gaining control over others.

There are many here who will not wish to give up control over others. And there are many here whose lives are chaotic and who are looking for control.

And there are some here who when they discover they are wrong and they have been hoodwinked, are too embarrassed to change their minds.

But for those who want to be autonomous, we can take off the ideological blinkers simply by thinking about MBTI rather than doing it like a rat running forever in a rat-race and getting nowhere.

KDude

I thought this was about.. jobs and management style. Are you sure you're in the right thread?

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
I thought this was about.. jobs and management style. Are you sure you're in the right thread?

You're asking Victor if his head's on right. If you can decipher his reply, then you have your answer. Heck, even if you can't you have your answer.

Let Victor be Victor and if you don't agree with him, leave him be.

Back to OP:

Basically: Rewards cause a person to think about the reward more than the problem. If the problem is only mechanical, then the distraction helps by keeping them from thinking too much, but if there is thinking involved, then that part will be distracted by the fact of the Reward, hindering performance. Heck this could be useful for parenting!

I read a large part of a book about Google. Their business plan seems to involve keeping their geniuses in the company and pumping out new ideas for the company. The 20% time allows the geniuses to focus their work on something interesting to them, boosting their morale.

... not to mention you're never more than 100 feet away from free food (at the Googleplex, according to my friend who worked on-site for a while since he works for a company that was hired by Google at the time for some reason).

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Basically: Rewards cause a person to think about the reward more than the problem. If the problem is only mechanical, then the distraction helps by keeping them from thinking too much, but if there is thinking involved, then that part will be distracted by the fact of the Reward, hindering performance. Heck this could be useful for parenting!

Plus rewards require spending! If you could convince them all to work for the love of it rather than wages... :devil: