• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Apple iPad

Timeless

Playnerd
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
It's official.

It's called the iPad, and it looks like a big ass iPhone.

apple-creation-0097-rm-eng.jpg

image_thumb176.png

Source: SiliconANGLE — Blog — Breaking: Apple Tablet IPad - Apple is Biggest Mobile Device Company

apple-creation-0141-rm-eng.jpg

apple-creation-0132-rm-eng.jpg

apple-creation-0123-rm-eng.jpg

Source: Live from the Apple 'latest creation' event - Engadget

Usually, I see the bright side of things, but I don't really see much potential with this. Of course I could be wrong, but the thing is, who will this market to? And will that be profitable?

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Dammit. I thought for sure it was going to be iTablet, that was the latest consensus. I bought iTablet.cm (.cm Cameroon domain), getiTablet.com, and freeappleitablet.com yesterday. Good thing I can cancel the domains. Fuck. :doh:

Looks awesome though, I want one soon.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My vote was for "iStrain." :doh:

This thing will CRUSH the Kindle.
Publishers are already drooling as Amazon has been telling them that an e-book is only worth $9.99 and that's it. The publisheers want to set their own proce, and desire to offer behind the scenes photos, interviews, etc. to create different pricing tiers. I like that idea actually. I always watch the extra stuff on DVDs when I have them.

I'm buying one as soon as my Stafford Loan kicks in this semester. :cheese:

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Seems like a stink-bomb, but I can't find any tech specs yet or pricing.

So, it's more unwieldy and cumbersome than an iPhone but less functional than an actual laptop? Is it more like an e-reader? Gaming platform?

However you can't underestimate the power of the fanbase. GF got an iPhone, downloads a couple fart apps, thinks Apple is the greatest company ever and can't wait to get a Macbook.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP

So, it's more unwieldy and cumbersome than an iPhone but less functional than an actual laptop? Is it more like an e-reader? Gaming platform?

However you can't underestimate the power of the fanbase. GF got an iPhone, downloads a couple fart apps, thinks Apple is the greatest company ever and can't wait to get a Macbook.

The first reviews just came in, really positive so far. Good gaming specs apparently, we'll see. Maybe it's just new release glee.

First Apple Tablet Reviews (UPDATED): 'Terrific,' 'Best Gadget Ever Made'

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

I will only buy one if it's a viable substitute for a laptop. I bought a bad ass Dell laptop 2 years ago, loaded, in the hopes of using it for a mobile music recording rig. I blew the firewire port out, had to get a new motherboard, fried the hard disk, etc. Now I realize that to do the shit I want to do I might as well just drag my PC around with a small LCD monitor and be done with it if I want to go mobile. So, all I need a laptop for is Internet, MS Office, and MP3s, videos, etc. This might be able to do all that without a hitch. I'm hoping. We'll see. If not, fuck it. :D

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
The first reviews just came in, really positive so far. Good gaming specs apparently, we'll see. Maybe it's just new release glee.

First Apple Tablet Reviews (UPDATED): 'Terrific,' 'Best Gadget Ever Made'

Hmm, I find it odd how anyone can review it at this point: there's barely any kind of software out for it yet. When anyone starts throwing out superlatives like that, just screams fanboy to me. If they REALLY open it up to 3rd party developers they could have something special, thought they probably won't. Does it run OS X, or iTouch/Phone OS? Still trying to figure out how I'm going to use this thing.

I will only buy one if it's a viable substitute for a laptop. I bought a bad ass Dell laptop 2 years ago, loaded, in the hopes of using it for a mobile music recording rig. I blew the firewire port out, had to get a new motherboard, fried the hard disk, etc. Now I realize that to do the shit I want to do I might as well just drag my PC around with a small LCD monitor and be done with it if I want to go mobile. So, all I need a laptop for is Internet, MS Office, and MP3s, videos, etc. This might be able to do all that without a hitch. I'm hoping. We'll see. If not, fuck it. :D

Yeah, I can see it spelling doom for the Netbook demographic. Myself, I've had an HP tablet laptop for about a year now and I like it alot...but it still has a keyboard, good video card, great processor so I can still do any kind of computing task I need to. But, personally, I think this and the iPhone might be stepping on each others toes a bit too much.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Hmm, I find it odd how anyone can review it at this point: there's barely any kind of software out for it yet. When anyone starts throwing out superlatives like that, just screams fanboy to me. If they REALLY open it up to 3rd party developers they could have something special, thought they probably won't. Does it run OS X, or iTouch/Phone OS? Still trying to figure out how I'm going to use this thing.

I guess these couple reviewers were Apple Tablet beta testers, and are high profile in the tech world. Could be sucking up though.

As for usage, could replace need for laptops, being more portable and easier/faster to use with the touch screen. There is some open source talk, that'd be great if it followed some kind of open model.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Yay... yet another over priced, attractively designed, nick knack from apple which will no doubt be buggy as all hell on first release. More importantly, it will take a few months for the price to drop, and a few more after that for the smaller faster less buggy 'nano' version to be released to squeeze yet another dollar out of an already over saturated consumer base.

EDIT: just have a small grudge against apple :D

EDIT2: the name makes it sound like an electronic feminine product... :D

Timeless

Playnerd
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
My vote was for "iStrain." :doh:

This thing will CRUSH the Kindle.
Publishers are already drooling as Amazon has been telling them that an e-book is only worth $9.99 and that's it. The publisheers want to set their own proce, and desire to offer behind the scenes photos, interviews, etc. to create different pricing tiers. I like that idea actually. I always watch the extra stuff on DVDs when I have them.

I'm buying one as soon as my Stafford Loan kicks in this semester. :cheese:
I forgot about that; the eBook industry. They might have a selling point there. Then again, just holding that thing looks uncomfortable for long periods at time, then again (yet again), people have been buying that Kindle...

So yeah.

Yeah, I can see it spelling doom for the Netbook demographic. Myself, I've had an HP tablet laptop for about a year now and I like it alot...but it still has a keyboard, good video card, great processor so I can still do any kind of computing task I need to. But, personally, I think this and the iPhone might be stepping on each others toes a bit too much.
By the looks of it, I think it's a fusion of Snow Leopard and the iPhone OS. If I had to choose one though; iTouch/iPhone OS.

Yay... yet another over priced, attractively designed, nick knack from apple which will no doubt be buggy as all hell on first release. More importantly, it will take a few months for the price to drop, and a few more after that for the smaller faster less buggy 'nano' version to be released to squeeze yet another dollar out of an already over saturated consumer base.

EDIT: just have a small grudge against apple :D

EDIT2: the name makes it sound like an electronic feminine product... :D
dellguy1.jpg

Dude, you're getting a Dell!

:laugh:

Yeah though, all their first releases will be fucked up one way or another. I'm happy with my MacBook Air (Rev. 3) big improvement from a heavy slower MacBook ('05) that was slowly chipping away due to the cheap ass plastics they were using.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
apple-tablet-keynote_180.jpg

Ehh...

That's a lot of SKUs. Although lets the user determine what they want to use it for. Warming up to it myself seeing the keyboard dock and the 3g inclusion. Maybe when I'm ready to get a new laptop I can look into this thing.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This might be my next laptop...

I've never purchased an Apple product for myself. Not even an iPod.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
This might be my next laptop...

I've never purchased an Apple product for myself. Not even an iPod.

Depends on what the OS is like...if it's more like the iTouch, no multitasking, no flash support [though HTML5 hopefully will be picking up steam by then], the 4:3 aspect ratio pretty much blows for entertainment purposes...it's a little more than an e-reader but not as good as a netbook.

Very conflicted, personally.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
This seems like the sort of product where, it seems like the best thing ever before you buy it. But once you do, you realize you have two other gadgets that do the same thing in either a faster or more portable manner.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
^exactly. Sometimes the excitement I see over apple stuff seems so fan boy.

Gish

Which side are you on?
MBTI Type
PTSD
I love the idea, but, NO MULTITASKING IS THE DUMBEST THING EVER.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
...in other news the next generation of iPhone has been code named iTampon.

:shock:

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ
I think it looks ugly. But I'm going to the apple store in a little while, so I will post my final verdict when I get back! :yes:

P.S.- No, I'm not going to the apple store to look at them, but since I am going to be there, I might as well. :)