• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The future of Robotics??

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
When you see the advances humanity has been making in the robotics field, do you feel a bit of fear?

Have movies made it impossible for you to eagerly usher in the new era, or are you looking and thinking "woah, soon robots will take over the world"?

Are you somewhere inbetween, slight fear because you've seen the movies and believe in the possibility, and yet eager because it's the future, and it's amazing?

I'm just wondering because a fair few people, myself included although I fall in the mild fear but major anticipation field, take these advances and think of scifi nightmares, so I was wondering how many others do? :laugh:

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
The only type of robotics that I'd be scared of is the kind that is developed by the military. However that doesn't have much to do with robotics itself. Technologies developed by the military are scary in general (at least they are scary to me).

I'm not afraid of any robotics developed by a business. Businesses want to make money and they don't do it by making products that are scary.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm more worried about biotechnology, petrochemicals, and nuclear weapons probably.

StrappingYoungLad

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w8
I'm no robotics geek but frankly I don't see that much advances in robotics. It seems to me that the only advances related to robotics are computing power, sensors and glorified toys, but there is a lack of convincing artificial intelligence advancement that would make me fear the future of mankind. :thinking:

I think though that in the future there could be some interesting out of control military autonomous spy cyber-insects accidents. :D

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
I'm more worried about genetic engineering (non-human species) than I am robotics. Science fiction is so far from reality when it comes to robotics, it has no effect on me.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hmmm.

You might want to read Digital Soul: Intelligent Machines and Human Values, by Thomas Georges.

If you get me started, I can rant about a handful of things in that book that really annoyed me, but I never the less think it's a recommendable read.

Timeless

Playnerd
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Come on, it'd be cool.

What's the worst that could happen?

terminatorwar.jpg

:laugh:

Seriously though, I'm neutral right now and anything can happen. I think one of the greatest thing robotics and AI can do for us is (from a space exploration article I've read) help mankind "spread life" across the universe.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
From a more technical standpoint there isnt much as neat as the roboters one may know from movies yet.

Creating artificial intelligence would still be the biggest challenge of them all.

I think the next thing that will invade daily lifes are household service roboters. That of course will destroy some jobs, but from a purely technical standpoint something more intelligent than a service roboter playing a routine on loop aint possible yet.

The biggest challenge is still to generate reasoning skills or problem solving skills for the robots (what prolly will result in them taking over).

I am not versed with all of the latest breakthroughs so far, but from what I know there isnt something yet, better than a service roboter playing a program on playback.