• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

PS3

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
So I bought a PS3, and I hooked it up to the wireless network, its connected. The problem is it keeps dropping the connection or is really slow, now I have fairly fast internet and it's secure so I know, no ones stealing it, I've trouble shooted but is their anything I can do to make the connection faster/not drop the router is like eight feet from the system so I suppose I could do I direct connect but I really rather not.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Hmm, make sure your router supports UPnP and is enabled, or you might have to open up some ports. Other than that, do a network connection test [it's in your settings somewhere] and see what the values are for upload and download speed, and report what your NAT settings are.

Kra

Black Magic Buzzard
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
It's probably what Jock just mentioned, but it could also be co-channel interference. Do you live in an apartment complex or some place where there are a lot of other access points nearby?

Edit: Then again, if you haven't had problems with that on other wireless devices, I don't think it would start now. Sorry, sensotard moment there.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I can't do anything because theirs a person asleep on my couch, well I could but I don't want to wake her/sit on the floor. But I know how to do a connection test on the ps3 I just didn't know what I was looking for and I don't think my router supports UPnP its a D-link Wireless N dir 615. I think I know what port I need to open but I'm not changing anything until I get the NAT info.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I can't do anything because theirs a person asleep on my couch, well I could but I don't want to wake her/sit on the floor. But I know how to do a connection test on the ps3 I just didn't know what I was looking for and I don't think my router supports UPnP its a D-link Wireless N dir 615. I think I know what port I need to open but I'm not changing anything until I get the NAT info.

You may want to change the channel of your wireless network. You can use a tool like NetStumbler (may be a similar tool included on Windows these days, not sure) to see what other wireless networks are in range and what channels they are on. Ideally, you should choose an unoccupied channel that is two numbers away from any other network (so, 8 is okay if someone is on 6, for example).

Also, it's possible for metal in walls or furniture to block a wifi signal, so you might try repositioning either your PS3 or your wireless router to see if something is blocking the signal between those two points. You can also try temporarily moving everything to one room, just to make sure things work well normally.

Another issue can be other electrical devices (some cordless phones, baby monitors, microwaves, etc). If the network is fast sometimes and slow others, you may want to try to look for a pattern that might be a clue about where the interference is coming from.

Still another issue is that occasionally certain combinations of hardware don't work well together. I did find this link: Solved: My D-Link DIR-615 wireless N router is really problematic. - Tech Support Guy Forums which involves someone reporting a problem with that router and the PS3 specifically. So you might try following the directions there and upgrading your firmware. (Do be cautious when upgrading firmware, because it's possible that unplugging the device at the wrong time can force you to mail it off to be repaired.)

Finally, you may want to try pinging your PS3 from your PC (using the command-line "ping" command) and see what the network latency is and whether packets are being dropped. If not every packet is making it through consistently, the sender has to resend packets which slows everything down greatly.

Sorry to throw a bunch of random suggestions at you, but sometimes wireless issues can be complicated to track down.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
UPnP is is available accorrding to the ps3 and the NAT type is type 3. I also updated the firmware.

Willfrey

MBTI Type
IsTP
the NAT has to be type 2 for it to work well. What router are you running? Also, welcome to the nightmare that is PS3 wireless networking.

Also what mode is your wireless secuirty set at?

I used to have a belkin router and I kept trying to hook it up using WAP/WEP encoding, and it never worked right. I switched it over to a type of encoding (I forget what specifically) that just used a password only and it worked fine after that.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
WEP. I think I just need to figure out how to change the NAT

I believe you can do manual port forwarding for the applications/games you have in mind and make things work... it's just a pain in a butt. Plus, you'll need to assign a static IP address to your PS3, so you don't have to change your port forwarding every time you reboot.

See portforward.com for particular games/applications and step-by-step instructions on what do your for your router. I believe you can set up "PlayStation Network" ports as a starting point.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Or you can just give your PS3 a static IP address [192.168.1.10 for example] and then put that on a DMZ in the router settings. Though to be honest if it's really 10 feet from the router I'd just run the cable.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Or you can just give your PS3 a static IP address [192.168.1.10 for example] and then put that on a DMZ in the router settings. Though to be honest if it's really 10 feet from the router I'd just run the cable.

Agreed. DMZ is in theory more dangerous, but WAY simpler. It's considered more dangerous because if there are any exploits involving other ports, those ports are now exposed to the outside world. You may not have critical data on your PS3, but in theory a hacked PS3 could be used to gain access to the rest of your network.

In reality, it doesn't seem like a terribly likely scenario. I don't believe there are any known exploits for the PS3 at the moment (despite rumors). Using DMZ with a PC is far more dangerous.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Agreed. DMZ is in theory more dangerous, but WAY simpler. It's considered more dangerous because if there are any exploits involving other ports, those ports are now exposed to the outside world. You may not have critical data on your PS3, but in theory a hacked PS3 could be used to gain access to the rest of your network.

In reality, it doesn't seem like a terribly likely scenario. I don't believe there are any known exploits for the PS3 at the moment (despite rumors). Using DMZ with a PC is far more dangerous.

Yup, I typically DMZ my 360 or PS3 because they really can't do anything to damage my existing network or the clients. And as far as I know CC numbers for marketplace purchases aren't stored client side so I think personal information should be fine. But I agree, never do it for PCs, heh.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
my router crapped out yesterday so I'm going to call support see if its totally busted and I need to go buy a new one or what. My internet was also down all night. but now it works thank god I was about to call AT&T

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
my router crapped out yesterday so I'm going to call support see if its totally busted and I need to go buy a new one or what. My internet was also down all night. but now it works thank god I was about to call AT&T

Huh... I've gotten my router fried a couple of times, but usually my cable modem got fried along with it (fried modem... mmmmmm). I think both times it happened to me it was around the time of an electrical storm, so I assume power came in through the cable line (since no other electrical equipment was affected, and I've got surge protectors on everything).

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
so I had to buy a router but its set up and I think I'm going to try to get the ps3 on the wireless network and if it comes up with nat 3 I'm just going to run a cord.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
the cable isn't long enough and I have to go either buy a longer cable or figure out the wireless. I also had to buy a new router since my old one got fried last night.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I gave the ps3 a static ip and turned on DMZ for the device but its still NAT 3

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Hmm, that's odd. Don't know what to tell you really. You might have to call your ISP and if they have you as "private" they need to make you public. If you're on the DMZ it should allow all traffic, so that's very bizarre.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
yeah, I hate calling at&t i even set up the ports but its still in type 3 I think I'm gonna go buy a longer cord and have it wired cuz at this point I don't know what else to try.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I looked at my isp info and it is set to private. I'm scared to change anything because I don't want to lose internet totally so I'm just going to live this alone for the day