• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Web Design

TopherRed

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
So...I'm looking to start a website for a business, but I have very limited knowledge on how to do that. I don't know HTML yet. I'd love to learn, though.

So Here's What I'm Looking For:
1. Tips on Getting Started
2. Books to Read
3. Software to Use
4. Domain Sites to Purchase A Site From
5. Anything Else You Think of That Would Be Helpful

Thanks guys!
--Fuzzy

MBTI Type
INFP
1a. Don't look for the easy way out. Not saying you are, but there are many times where you will be tempted to do so. Don't give in. Learn everything thoroughly and you will be glad you did.

1b. When I first started out, I used tables to organize everything. It's a good way to start because it teaches you how you can use width, height, and position attributes to make things look the way you want them to. But later on, you'll need to learn CSS and how to use them with divs and spans.

1c. W3Schools Online Web Tutorials

2. Google. Srsly. You can find out anything you want using this as your launchpad. Even Google everything you think you know. You'll learn more.

3. I use Notepad++. It's free, open-source n' stuff. Has my favorite syntax markup (colors the attributes to make it easier for the developer to read). Works well for coding HTML/XHTML, CSS, PHP, and Javascript if you want to get into that. (Browse Notepad++ Files on SourceForge.net)

4. GoDaddy is a popular one. Some hosting plans (MochaHost :: cPanel Hosting | JSP Hosting | Linux/Windows Hosting | PHP MySQL Hosting | ASP.NET Hosting | MS SQL Hosting | Frontpage Hosting, Affordable Web Hosting at Lunarpages) will help you get a domain name when you buy a hosting plan for them. Remember you need to buy a domain name (the www[dawt]whatever[dawt]com) and also figure out a way to host the web site files for the world to access. Paying a company in return for guaranteed uptime and service is the de facto standard, but you can host from your home if you really want to.

5. Click here and begin: HTML Tutorial

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I agree with the OP!

Also, sometimes you find great workshops here for free.

CreativeTechs Classes

Oh yeah, and my domain site is in some scandinavian country so I don't have to worry about americans deciding they don't like what I store on my site and deleting stuff. It's pretty much as cheap as godaddy (last time I looked) but you can't hide your whois info. (I just don't put the right info for my public site) One.com Web hosting

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I sent him a PM (different place) asking about it.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
For actual designing you can try to paint a website in photoshop or any other respective painting program and then slice the page in different images that you then try to align with html code on a webpage.

You wont need much html knowledge to do that and that way you will pretty fast have a first design to be proud of :).

There are programs that do the slicing for you too, but I am a bit out of the loop, back in my days the program was called Dreamweaver I think.

Good luck tho with your idea, best way to learn is to rengineer written code you find on the internet, like for example a readymade forum. That in combination with a PHP starter guide you can learn, how code works.

All of my bookmarks on the topic are in german, maybe this site is good for you: (PHP Tutorial), any other respective site with a php/html starter guide will do tho too.

Just never buy books, they are far too expensive, too much to read and boring :D

Permabanned
A 10 year old can do HTML in Word.

Try dynamic content with C# .NET framework and Flash 10.
AJAX.
Google. Srsly. If you want to start your own company you shouldn't be waiting for our posts.

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
gotta decide somethings first:
-is it to make yourself public? so you are gonna need a good design with a nice look and feel to it?
-is it gonna have content that is gonna change every so often? an inventory list like best buy?
-both of the abve?

i ask because both involve different kind of technologies
first one (sweet design, look and feel) involves CSS, HTML, and maybe even flash and other things

second one requires programming knowledge. you will have to script a lot of things. but once you have things up and running, minimlal maintainance requried
scripting is USUALLY done through php or c# or vb.net
because you might have a inventory thing, your gonna need a database to back it up...use mysql.....personally recommend php and mysql cuz of the milllions of tutorials out there and ease of learning

i got a job as a freelance developer making a soccer site for this guy. then i started learning php and mysql...not hard to pick up at alll...although basic programming knowledge is required

Timeless

Playnerd
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Are you on a Mac or PC?

I can give you a list of good software, both free and commercial.

simpleamazement

MBTI Type
istj
Enneagram
So...I'm looking to start a website for a business, but I have very limited knowledge on how to do that. I don't know HTML yet. I'd love to learn, though.

So Here's What I'm Looking For:
1. Tips on Getting Started
2. Books to Read
3. Software to Use
4. Domain Sites to Purchase A Site From
5. Anything Else You Think of That Would Be Helpful

Thanks guys!
--Fuzzy

Before You Start a Website - Preparing for a Web Presence

For web design, try an into to web design class at your local college. Or there are plenty of beginner's books on web design. Check out your local bookstore. See which book tickles your fancy.