• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Headphones!

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
Hello one and all!

I'm looking into buying a really good pair of headphones. I'm not talking about crappy earbuds, I'm talking about around-ear, padded, high quality headphones with rich sound range.

So far, the headphones I like the best are Bose Around Ear Headphones. Although a bit expensive, supposedly they are incredibly comfortable and deliver very rich sound quality.

I've also heard good things about Sennheiser headphones.

Anyone have any experience with either of these? Anyone have any other suggestions?

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I can't really say from experience but I don't think you'll go wrong if you buy a higher end pair of Bose headphones.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
you should check out headroom.com at least i think that's the site.

i have a pair of grados myself and i like.

i prefer sennheiser to bose for headphones. those pxsomethings are awesome portable ones.

but really, opinions and tech talk don't mean much if it the actual headphones don't sound good to you. I would say try as many as you can if possible and then just get whatever sounds best to you.

Noel

MBTI Type
INFP
I've had these SENNHEISER HD 280PRO for about three years now. I've tried my friend's quietcomfort headphones and have found these to sound the same (if not better) and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Pros:
-Closed headphones or rather noise canceling. No need to blast these suckers ever, meaning increased longevity for the headphones.
^--Details, details, Details! Familiar music sounds new.
^---Longevity due to lower volumes
-Comfortable
-Great price
-Flexible

Cons:
-Bass is a little low. Having a good sound card on your computer or an amp for your mp3 helps substantially.
-The headband plastic starts to break after about a year, but has yet to inhibit my comfort in anyway.
-People touching you to get your attention because you won't respond to them may give you a mild heart attack.

Neutral:
-The cord. It's spiral and long. Great for plugging into your computer, but lugging the massive cord around because of your mp3-not so good. Your millage may vary.
-Big

JonJT

MBTI Type
INTP
I'm listening to a pair of Sennheiser HD650 pros as I type this. I'm also using a VERY expensive headphone specific amplifier I built to power them, but thats a different thread.

I also owned the HD280s and I have to say they are far inferior to the 650s.

Now, choosing a good pair of expensive headphones is a difficult task, especially if you plan on spending more than 300 dollars. There are different types of headphones and many manufacturers, each with their own sound signature and style. Because of this, and the fact that you didn't provide any information about the music you listen to, your audio sources, your amplification source, your preference for headphone size and your intended use, I cant really give you a cut and dry recommendation.
Now, over the last few years I have owned 4 headphones and 1 pair of earbuds ranging in price from 150 to 600 dollars MSRP. I would be willing to help you directly if you so desire. Feel free to send me an instant message, a PM or shoot me an e-mail. I'd also recommend you join Head-Fi.org: Headphones, iPod earphones, portable audio, MP3 players, high-end audio and make a post, but only after doing some research (which I can help you with).

Goodluck!

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Sennheiser are supposed to be good but so are a lot of things. Personally I wanted 5.1 surround sound and ended up with the Medusa's. They seem fine to me but I don't think they are ultra high quality.

What's it for? If it's for a computer then that's different to a HiFi (though why you'd want the latter is beyond me).

JonJT

MBTI Type
INTP
Sennheiser are supposed to be good but so are a lot of things. Personally I wanted 5.1 surround sound and ended up with the Medusa's. They seem fine to me but I don't think they are ultra high quality.

What's it for? If it's for a computer then that's different to a HiFi (though why you'd want the latter is beyond me).

For a long time now, fantastic sound quality has been achievable on a computer, just as good as those expensive "HiFi" components that some people spend thousands on.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
For a long time now, fantastic sound quality has been achievable on a computer, just as good as those expensive "HiFi" components that some people spend thousands on.
That was my point. It's got even better since I splashed out on an XFi, though reliability is right out of the window it seems.

JonJT

MBTI Type
INTP
That was my point. It's got even better since I splashed out on an XFi, though reliability is right out of the window it seems.

OOo, pardon me.

I dont know if you game or now, but Im very pleased with my EM-U 0404 pro sound card. Fantastic sound quality, but it was designed with professional recording in mind so it has 0 gaming capabilities.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
OOo, pardon me.

I dont know if you game or now, but Im very pleased with my EM-U 0404 pro sound card. Fantastic sound quality, but it was designed with professional recording in mind so it has 0 gaming capabilities.
I think I've heard good things about those (if it's the model I'm thinking of). More pricey than an XFi though isn't it?

I still don't get what the difference is between a gamers sound card and a normal one. It's not like you get a free aimbot with the gamer's version.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not quite what you're looking for, but I use a pair of KOSS open-ear titanium driver headphones (~$20-40 depending if it's on sale) and absolutely love them. The sound response on these are always noticeably superior to cheap headphones or earbuds and even most average speakers. This includes bass and treble. I have a pair at home under the Radioshack brand but recently bought another pair for work which were sold under the KOSS brand.

as for sound cards, my SB Audigy2 ZS sounds very nice too, and I like the built in bass/treble boost 'cause it actually sounds good... doesn't clip the audio like software EQs usually do.

aeon

Potoumchka
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Sony MDR-7506. Just under $100. A professional audio standard for a reason.

cheers,
Ian

JonJT

MBTI Type
INTP
I think I've heard good things about those (if it's the model I'm thinking of). More pricey than an XFi though isn't it?

I still don't get what the difference is between a gamers sound card and a normal one. It's not like you get a free aimbot with the gamer's version.

I *think* it cost me about 130 dollars. In the grand scheme of recording technology, thats DIRT cheep. Comparing it to an XFi isnt fair because its not designed for the same purpose. And there in lies the difference between gaming cards and pro audio cards. The pro audio cards contain no hardware dedicated to creating special audio effects for in game audio. And they're usually not able to decode high def audio and DVD movie audio codecs. Traditionally, gaming cards were sonically inferior to pro audio cards because gamers and nearly all computer users were people who didnt care about high fidelity audio.

Thats changed for the most part and you can get gaming sound cards with fantastic tech specs and fantastic quality. Although, they are still lacking in recording capabilities, but thats to be expected. Most people dont need to record anything period, let alone record and mix multiple channels at once.