• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Hey GeekSquad, Help well not geek squad but someone who knows something about macs.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
So my ipod's stuck in diskmode and is refusing to update, also when I tell it to quit being in disk mode. It tries to erase it's self saying only one ipod can be hooked up to the computer, except I only have one :doh: I don't want to lose all my music. I guess I could back up my music but I have over 2,000 songs so that would take too long and I don't want to. But right now I don't know what to do, btw I never actually put anything on the ipod in diskmode. I thought I was going to update to new OS but changed my mind last minute. I really would like to put the 3 new songs on my ipod. and the only thing I was worried about losing was some documents. and I know how to do the ipod rip thing, but I'm hoping someone will be able to offer a less tedious solution.

Eicr

MBTI Type
INTJ
you should have your music backed up on your computer :) as far as I know, the only way to changed from disk mode to normal mode involves erasing the iPod

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Putting iPod into Disk Mode

How to reset iPod

As far as I can tell from official documentation, resetting the I-pod wouldn't cause it to be erased.

To return it to its normal operating state [from disk mode], you will have to reset iPod.

When you reset iPod all your music and files are saved, but some customized settings may be lost. Date and time is preserved (unless the iPod reset itself because it had no power and then was reconnected to power). Other customized settings, such as Bookmarks, On-The-Go Playlists, Shuffle, Backlight timer, and so forth are preserved from the last time the hard drive turned on.

I offer no guarantees, however, as I've never owned an I-pod.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Assuming the infernal fashion accessory is the same kinda tech as everything else then it'll have a firmware based operating system and solid state storage. Resetting the firmware should do nothing to the storage. You probably will lose some of your settings (most devices say this but manage to keep them anyway) is more of a warning that in resetting this device it will set some settings back to the default.

Of course knowing Apple they'd have to do something different. Best idea would be to find yourself and iPod forum and ask the real hardcore geeks.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If you don't have space for your music on your computer, you should invest in a hard drive and keep it on there. 2000 songs sounds like ~10-15 gigs, which would be a real pain to replace if something else happens to your ipod (for example, I lost mine to a river a few months ago). For your sanity, I would strongly suggest backing it up, even if you resolve this problem.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
^^^ Seconded.
It's always best to back it up.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Yeah, and I know they are not that expensive anymore. I'll probably buy one next time I go to walgreens, because I know they have them their I've seen them. I need one anyways yet I always lose them. So even if I lose everything I doubt I'd be able to find my drive.So I think my only option is to back up my music and restore my ipod and put everything back on.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Just get an internal hard drive....unless you keep losing the whole computer in which case online storage is your only hope!

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I have yet to lose my whole computer *knock on wood* but I was able to put my songs in an another file away from itunes, and I think they may have been backed up but I wasn't sure. Well then I told it to restore and it did not delete my music from itunes like I thought it would. So now I'm in the process of adding everything back on.