• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Vista users: Feel like you were used for beta testing?

Feel like you were used for Beta testing?

• Yes

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • No

Votes: 14 43.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 11 34.4%

• Total voters

Atomic Fiend

I knew shit like this would happen, I too was happy on XP till my computer broke down a ways back the new Computer I bought had Vista already installed as well...

I feel cheated.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I don't know enough about computers and micro technology to really judge it either way.

I have Vista on my laptop, which I do most of my stuff on, and it works fine for me. I can't think of a problem I've had, but then again, I'm not looking for one.

Computers aren't my think. Nor is Software.
So I can't give you an answer, really. I voted other.

qwertsquirt

MBTI Type
INFJ
Its windows, feel glad your OEM license is free.
Honestly vista isn't THAT bad unless you have a slow computer. As long as you have 2GB of ram your fine.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So why should I swap to Windows 7 from XP?

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
Vista came with my computer, so I can't really complain. Its not like I shelled out for Vista. Either way I'm not performance crazed like a Thinker.

As long as you have 2GB of ram your fine.

Eh, 3GB covers it better, thankfully RAM is usually the cheapest part of the CPU and getting cheaper.

So why should I swap to Windows 7 from XP?

According to a lot of what I read, XP still runs smoother than Win7, Win7 is just prettier, and less clunky than Vista.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Also if you haven't seen this video yet, then yes it is for real, and yes it is totally creepy:

[youtube=1cX4t5-YpHQ]Creepy Windows 7 comercial[/youtube]

I want to live in their world. I would be SO popular there, and my social skills would be as good as everyone elses.

It's totally unrealistic, but if people really acted like that, I'd have a really easy time keeping people interested and having stuff to talk to them about. Yes, I'm such a geek that the things they described are my idea of fun, but the difference is that I know other people don't think that's fun. Apparently they don't. :doh:

If only people had things like "Windows launch parties" on a regular basis...

I think the problem with the commercial is that it's too idealistic about people's interest in computers.

Its windows, feel glad your OEM license is free.
Honestly vista isn't THAT bad unless you have a slow computer. As long as you have 2GB of ram your fine.

That's a poor way to look at it. I have enough RAM, but it still bothers me that it operates in a clunky way, and that I'm stuck with poorer performance than the next version of Windows offers unless I upgrade. Upgrades always used to be about adding new features, but now they're asking me to shell out for better performance on essentially the same features. They're charging us full price for a service pack and a bugfix.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I got the sense that Windows 7 was like a reversion of sorts due to complaints about Vista. Vista was supposed to be this whole new generation of OS, and a lot of features I used to hear about were scaled back by the time it came out (more graphical stuff using transparency, etc). So it looks like they kept biting off more than they could chew, to the point now of having to revert to the old number series. (Not sure how the graphics and other features compare to Vista or the older versions).

But who knows. Maybe it was a beta test, and they just made it look like the new system was an afterthought. Never know what these geniuses will do to make the profit charts go up.
I was one of thsoe trying to hook a Vista laptop up to a home network of XP computers. The laptop had the internet connection through the router, but could not "see" the XP's. the Xp's could access the Vista, however. A lot of people had this problem, and the information was hard to find. It seemed to show that Vista was poorly thought out to the extent of being so incompatible with XP. I think 7 is supposed to fix this.
What solved my problem: one of the suggestions mentioned the LPT1 (?) drivers for the XP (apart of XP sp3), but I found that it already had this. What's needed is the hotfix, mentioned on the same Microsoft help page. Now, the XP appeared on the vista network map, though it still could not be clicked. Right at that time, the Service Pack 1 for Vista came out. (so there is a service pack being offered as an alternative to the new OS). That got rid of that stupid "Microsoft Publication Service Device Host" that appeared under "Network" where the network map should have first appeared. I also needed to download Vista drivers to the printer to be able to access it from the laptop. Then, all of a sudden, I had full two way access.

Lethal Sage

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Windows 7's best feature is that it has free internet tv.

I'm on episode 6 of MacGyver. I didn't think that I'd enjoy a cheesy 80's series, but here I am.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Windows 7's best feature is that it has free internet tv.

I disagree, it's WDDM 1.1. It makes Vista more memory efficient and gives it smoother graphics performance in the same situations. Vista will never be as good because they won't upgrade Vista to that. Any WDDM 1.1 drivers used will operate in 1.0 mode on Vista, and WDDM 1.0 SUCKS. :(

Clonester

MBTI Type
ENFP
I'm quite happy with Vista. I waited for a while to get it though, after SP1. And I've got 4 gigs of RAM in my laptop. I'd never go back to XP. XP uses less resources but that's not a problem for me. Otherwise Vista is very stable in my experience, the most stable MS OS since DOS. Great GUI. I used Windowblinds with XP before to customize the look but Vista is nice enough I don't need it. The only major complaint I have is there's extra layers to default Vista. Like running the command prompt in admin mode. Or unhiding the extension names of files when you want to change the file type. Well, more the former. I'm pretty sure if you're running the command prompt you know at least a little bit about computers, enough not to totally mess up your OS.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Well, I decided to suck it up and buy Windows 7. I'm using it right now.

I'm actually very glad I did. I did a fresh install, and it's running faster out of the box than Windows Vista did after I optimized it for speed. Although that could be for several reasons:

1. I got the 64-bit version of Windows 7, whereas my Dad had forced me to take the 32-bit version of Vista (I wanted 64-bit, he told me it would break all the plug-ins and any older applications, but when I installed it, it didn't).

2. I have a quad-core processor, which benefits from the new way Windows 7 handles multiple cores.

3. Windows 7 no longer does double-buffering and software-rendering of graphics.

On top of that, I really like the fact that the date shows up on the taskbar now, and the fact that I can now use Aero with almost no performance penalties, where as under Vista, my system ran 10% slower if I enabled Aero. I also love the new unit conversions in the Calculator. No more Google searches for Celsius to Fahreinheit converters!

So, I guess I was wrong. There ARE enough new features in Win7 to justify the price tag. Just barely, but there are.

On top of that, I've noticed that my 3D games are far more stable. The whole system is more stable.

So, to anyone who's suffering with Vista... I can confirm you're better off either downgrading or upgrading. This is much better than Vista.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Athenian, what games are you running?

dorcus0

MBTI Type
INTP
One and a half years ago, I specifically told my computer vendor to install Windows XP instead of Vista. I had to pay a little extra money for this "downgrade", and never regretted it.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Athenian, what games are you running?

Well...

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Dungeon Siege
Risen
Morrowind
World of Warcraft (played until I reached 80 and got the "World Explorer" achievement, then quit).

Aside from that, I occasionally play the 32-bit version of Ski Free, and of course the old Windows standby, Solitaire.

I'm mostly talking about Desktop performance rather than gaming performance, though.