• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Windows 7

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Windows 7 is coming out today by Microsoft and I am musing over whether I should buy it. I have Windows Vista on two laptops. If I get it will it work on installing the OS on both computers or is it limited to one computer? Price looks a little steep for an upgrade but looks cheaper on eBay. Reviews look pretty good but worried that some bugs might show up soon after released to the general populous.

Thoughts

Feelings

Recommendations?

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
lol, well I am not a total computer geek variety and when it comes OSs I tend to be pretty conventional.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I am waiting. I have 4 systems (2 desktops and 2 laptops) with Vista and I hate it, but I am waiting until Service Pack 1 of Windows 7 before I upgrade anything.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
A am admittedly pretty ignorant in this area. Service Pack 1 of Windows 7 would be Windows 7 with a lot of the bugs worked out?

I am not too happy with Vista, especially on how it runs on my "better" laptop but not so much as to go back to XP. I am gonna wait until this weekend to make up my mind, maybe there will be sales on stuff (i.e. bonus stuff on sale if you get Windows 7 at the same time). Part of me wants to do it soon on one of the computers to see how it works and wait to put it on the other computer later.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Pricing doesn't seem too bad, like $100 to $200 if you go for the "system builders" vs. paying extra for packaged "support."

Windows 7 has some nice features and doesn't seem to be as much of a pig
as Vista.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
A am admittedly pretty ignorant in this area. Service Pack 1 of Windows 7 would be Windows 7 with a lot of the bugs worked out?

I am not too happy with Vista, especially on how it runs on my "better" laptop but not so much as to go back to XP. I am gonna wait until this weekend to make up my mind, maybe there will be sales on stuff (i.e. bonus stuff on sale if you get Windows 7 at the same time). Part of me wants to do it soon on one of the computers to see how it works and wait to put it on the other computer later.

Each Windows OS has had "Service Packs" or code updates to fix the screwed up things, and some new code to add functionality.

Windows XP stopped at Service Pack 3.
Windows Vista is up to SService Pack 2.
Windows 7 will have Service Packs too.

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
The rule used to be to wait until service pack 1 until upgrading to the next windows OS. I'm transitioning to Linux from XP myself and probably won't ever use Windows again.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
+1 Halla
I was clueless on the Service packs not being automatic. This might address my slugishs "better" laptop issues.

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I downloaded 7 yesterday. I like it so far. It seems to run a little smoother than vista.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Windows Vista works fine for me.

I'm not sure I can justify the expense unless new applications I want won't run on Vista.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I never bothered to get Vista so I'll be upgrading directly from XP to 7. I'm thinking first SP should be out by next spring and that's when I'll pick it up.

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
If you are a college student, MS is offering a special, you can get Win 7 for about $30. You need a .edu email though, and you'll probably have to download it and burn an iso.

Which reminds me, they gave away their "Expression" suite, which is kind of like Adobe suite (Flash, Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.), for free a while back. Once again only to students. I'm not sure if they are still offering that deal though. It's full of bugs, too.

I also got MS Office 2007 for dirt cheap (~$50) when it came out. Once again full of bugs but not so bad since they released the latest update for it.

I love the perks of being affiliated with a University.

Feops

MBTI Type
INTx
Hoping to hear more about Win7 in the near future. The bits I have heard were cautiously optimistic. Vista was a trainwreck. Little reason to upgrade and many reasons not to. Very poor adoption rate.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My boss bought one of those mini laptops about a week ago from Best Buy for us both to use. It had Windows XP. A few days after that, he decided that he didn't like it because it was freezing during the anti-virus scans (which Best Buy recommended he put on the computer) and wanted a more powerful computer. We went there on Tues to trade it but they had stopped selling computers with the old versions of Windows and now he HAS to trade it for one with Windows 7. I guess it was just bad timing.

The Decline

(☞゚∀゚)☞
MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
5w4
Win 7 is good. Been using it for a year for gaming and such. Much cleaner/smoother than Vistaids. It's like an improved XP.

Bushranger

MBTI Type
INTP
Too damn expensive. I don't believe in pirating software (biting the hand that feeds. I'm a computer programmer), so I'll hold off until it is a necessity.
Since I haven't booted into windows in over a month it is likely to be a long time before I need to upgrade to Windows 7.
Besides, it has no new features that interest me.