• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Random math question for you

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
Okay. I'm completing an action 5 times. Each time I complete the action, it has a 50% chance of having the result that I want. My goal is to achieve the desired result twice. What is the percentage chance that that I will achieve the desired result twice after completing the action 5 times?

Qre:us

Binomial Probability: P(X = 2) = 0.3125 thus, multiply by 100 = 31.25% chance
Cumulative Probability: P(X < 2) = 0.1875
Cumulative Probability: P(X < and/or = 2) = 0.5
Cumulative Probability: P(X > 2) = 0.5
Cumulative Probability: P(X > and/or = 2) = 0.8125

Edit: am I doing your homework for you? :thelook:

Prototype

THREADKILLER
MBTI Type
Why?
No replies!...Are people afraid of being wrong?... I want to say 33% off the top of my head..

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
only twice, or at least twice?

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
Binomial Probability: P(X = 2) = 0.3125 thus, multiply by 100 = 31.25% chance
Cumulative Probability: P(X < 2) = 0.1875
Cumulative Probability: P(X < and/or = 2) = 0.5
Cumulative Probability: P(X > 2) = 0.5

Edit: am I doing your homework for you? :thelook:

No. You're not doing my homework. Let me elaborate on why the question is here. It's taken from Pokemon actually. I've been playing it a lot lately, and been doing a lot of things that are just left up to doing something over and over relying on probability. I was doing something today and it sparked some curiosity.

I'm breeding Pokemon in the game. They have a nature attribute that I care a lot about. There are 25 possible natures, and with certain conditions, you can raise the possibility of it having the nature you want to 50%. So, I'm sitting here hatching Pokemon eggs over and over again until I have a certain amount of Pokemon I want with the nature that I want. If I have 5 Pokemon eggs and I only need 2 of them to have the nature I want, but each one has a 50% chance to have it, what is the chance of me having 2 Pokemon of the nature I want after hatching all 5 eggs?

There's where the question originated. :)

redacted

Okay. I'm completing an action 5 times. Each time I complete the action, it has a 50% chance of having the result that I want. My goal is to achieve the desired result twice. What is the percentage chance that that I will achieve the desired result twice after completing the action 5 times?

I'm assuming more than 2 times is okay too.

So you're basically asking for 1 minus the chances that it will happen 0 times or 1 time.

chances it will happen exactly 1 time: 5*1/2^5 = 5/32
chances it will happen 0 times: 1/2^5 = 1/32
chances it won't happen 1 or 0 times: 1-(5/32+1/32) = 26/32

i think.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
At least twice you're looking at 4 occurances out of 6 possible outcomes, so around 66 or 67%.

redacted

At least twice you're looking at 4 occurances out of 6 possible outcomes, so around 66 or 67%.

huh?

There are 32 possible sequences of 5 coin flips (which is equivalent to what he's talking about). One of those sequences has 0 heads. Five of them have 1 heads. The rest have two or more heads. 81.25%

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
Have none of you people done Finite/Statistics in highschool? This is highschool level bullshit.

Binomial probability - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mathwords: Binomial Probability Formula

Quit in 8th grade sir and have a GED. Furthest math I've done so far in college is intermediate Algebra. Wait, so did we have an answer? Explain it for us newbies, please. :D I'll check back tonight after work. I was actually curious about this because it became annoying after I'd hatch like 5 eggs, and none of them had the nature I wanted. :p

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP

This is correct.

I'm assuming more than 2 times is okay too.

So you're basically asking for 1 minus the chances that it will happen 0 times or 1 time.

chances it will happen exactly 1 time: 5*1/2^5 = 5/32
chances it will happen 0 times: 1/2^5 = 1/32
chances it won't happen 1 or 0 times: 1-(5/32+1/32) = 26/32

i think.

So is this.

Prototype said:
I just needed an excuse for my weak math skills...lol... When I look at numbers I see letters.

What? When you see an X you think that is a letter? Everyone knows that X is a number lol. :D