• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Online University

Schizm

MBTI Type
INTP

ygolo

My termites win
I am working on an online Master's degree now. I will likely finish in the spring of this school year.

I couldn't actually attend my university if it weren't online. I also work full-time, so the online format is more convenient.

Even the top-notch schools have online classes. The HW, projects, and grading for the one I'm in are exactly the same as for on-campus students (except for one class w/ an in-class participation component). So I don't think there is a drop in quality of material covered.

Some other programs:

Free Online Course Materials

Autumn 2007-2008

We do miss the face-to-face interaction with professors, and peers.

Schizm

MBTI Type
INTP
I am working on an online Master's degree now. I will likely finish in the spring of this school year.

I couldn't actually attend my university if it weren't online. I also work full-time, so the online format is more convenient.

Even the top-notch schools have online classes. The HW, projects, and grading for the one I'm in are exactly the same as for on-campus students (except for one class w/ an in-class participation component). So I don't think there is a drop in quality of material covered.

Some other programs:

Free Online Course Materials

Autumn 2007-2008

We do miss the face-to-face interaction with professors, and peers.

How seriously do you think it will be taken by an employer? In your case, you already have an employer so it seems you have already proven yourself to you company and will receive future reward for this accomplishment. I, on the other hand wonder if a future employer will take an online university seriously due to how easy it is for students to cheat.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
How seriously do you think it will be taken by an employer? In your case, you already have an employer so it seems you have already proven yourself to you company and will receive future reward for this accomplishment. I, on the other hand wonder if a future employer will take an online university seriously due to how easy it is for students to cheat.

I also am working on a degree online, except through a public school... I'm not sure how the US accreditation works, but the public schools here are funded through the government and are controlled to ensure the transfer of credits... so essentially it is the exact same course. From what I understand, it's a lot more transparent up here... that makes it easier to explain!

But I also work full time so the risk is different - this is just for advancement. I think that it does pose something of a risk. The best solution (IMO) is to find a university that has a campus that you could attend, but are able to take most, if not all, courses online. The degree will be roughly the same on paper.

There is still a phobia about hiring people who have only online degrees... but there is also a phobia of hiring people without experience. If you can show that you took it online because you were doing something else, like working and such, then you'll probably end up ahead, not behind.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
From my experience, while it may be more convenient to get your degree from an online university, you have to be very sure they keep their accreditation up-to-date by a recognized accrediting body or your degree is useless.

Accreditation in the United States is a voluntary, non-governmental process, in which an institution and its programs are evaluated against standards for measuring quality.

An unrecognized accrediting agency should be viewed with caution until its reputation can be determined. Although these accrediting agencies are unrecognized, it does not mean that they do not have high standards of quality. Likewise, because the Secretary or CHEA does not recognize an accrediting agency does not mean that the institutions accredited by that agency do not provide a quality education.

Here's some info from the U.S. Department of Education -- Diploma Mills

Here's a link to check if that school is accredited or not (looks like it is :)).

ETA: Oops, I should have finished reading the OP. Oh well.

ygolo

My termites win

True, I'm already past the point where the degree will gain me anything for this employer. But I think a degree is good to have for when you are looking for a new job.

As far as accreditation goes, if you stick to a well known school, and make sure the material and degree awarded is exactly the same as for students who take courses on-campus, future employers will take it seriously (and can make no real distinction from you physically attending that school).

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I'm wondering, how does the grading system work? You get the material online, and then go to the campus to take the exams? It surely looks like an awesome options for students in the USA that are usually highly indebted if they do not work while getting their degree. I'm wondering though, how do you handle the mental fatigue of working and studying? I do too work approx 30 hours a week and go to school, but work is exclusively from home, and thus I can exercise freely to clear my mind.

ygolo

My termites win
I'm wondering, how does the grading system work? You get the material online, and then go to the campus to take the exams? It surely looks like an awesome options for students in the USA that are usually highly indebted if they do not work while getting their degree. I'm wondering though, how do you handle the mental fatigue of working and studying? I do too work approx 30 hours a week and go to school, but work is exclusively from home, and thus I can exercise freely to clear my mind.

For me, the lectures are online. Lab projects, simulations and program submissions, and so on are done by logging into computing machines on campus.

Exams are proctored by someone at the company, and faxed back to the school.

As far as mental fatigue. I am not sure. I take far fewer classes than the full-time students. I do get tired from time to time, and despite the fact that this is a master's program, I am one again experiencing "senior-itis" as I get to the last year of taking classes online.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP

Similar to me, but my exams are on campus.