• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

laptop

targobelle

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~
MBTI Type
enfp
I splashed coffee on my laptop and it shut down. UGH! SHOOT ME NOW!

I wiped it up, there was more on the table then the laptop. Unhooked it and tipped it side to side I will be lucky if a 1/2 tsp came out. Then took my hair dryer on cool settings to the front of it. It was mostly on the mouse pad...

I am such an idiot. It's still off apparently you should wait an hour UGH!

what are the chances that it's okay or should I kill myself before my husband gets home.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
Break out a window of your house and say someone stole it. Then, throw it away and call insurance. :nice:

targobelle

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~
MBTI Type
enfp
while that is all cute and funny and you made me at least crack a bit of a smirk, I don't see it as an option..... *sigh*

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Well, does it work? Wait a few hours for it to dry, and then try turning it on to see if it still works. If so, I would suggest backing up all the data on it IMMEDIATELY, and watching it for signs of failure over the next few days. It may well be fine. Sometimes they are, sometimes they aren't.

If it comes on, but the keyboard or mouse doesn't work, you can usually plug another keyboard/mouse in through the USB port, or possibly a PS/2 port depending on the model/age.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
I don't really know much about these kinds of things, but I would assume that if the harddrive isn't damaged that you could at least get your stuff recovered somewhere even if the computer doesn't work as a whole.

targobelle

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~
MBTI Type
enfp
it's brand new we have had it all of what 2 weeks

It's an HP Pavilion there is hardly anything on it to back up

my husband is gonna hate me... great..... like I really need this on my plate as well right

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
it's brand new we have had it all of what 2 weeks

It's an HP Pavilion there is hardly anything on it to back up

my husband is gonna hate me... great..... like I really need this on my plate as well right

Relax, you don't even know that the coffee ruined it... I spilled coffee on a keyboard once, and turned off my computer and waited for it to dry. It still worked, although the keys were sticky for a long time after that.

Sometimes laptop keyboards have a mechanism that keeps things spilled from going into the circuitry, and sometimes even if they do get into the circuitry, and you wait for it to dry, it can work again. Just try it before you panic.

targobelle

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~
MBTI Type
enfp
is there a reset button on it??

it's been an hour and it won't turn on

Heero

MBTI Type
ITNP
Do not wait a few hours, wait a few -DAYS-.

You need to keep it in a well ventilated area. Water isn't kryptonite for electronics, but the short circuiting -IS-. You need to be absolutely positive about two things.

1) It is dry
2) There is no corrosion

Other than that, it should be fine as long as you shut it off immediately after you spilled it, though it may be quite sticky.

Also, keep it unplugged, batter removed.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
is there a reset button on it??

it's been an hour and it won't turn on

Uh... if it won't turn on at all, and it's plugged in... that means it's fried. Sorry. But if you really don't want your husband to know, do you think you could get down to the store and buy another of the same model without them knowing, maybe having the hard drive swapped out between the original and the new one? You seemed worried about your husband finding out, so I'm offering this suggestion for that reason.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
it should still be under manufacturer's warranty if you've only had it for 2 weeks (the warrenty generally lasts for a year)- in which case you shouldn't really be worried at all. And if laptops are anything like cell phones it should be fine once it's dried out.

Usehername

On a mission
Do not wait a few hours, wait a few -DAYS-.

You need to keep it in a well ventilated area. Water isn't kryptonite for electronics, but the short circuiting -IS-. You need to be absolutely positive about two things.

1) It is dry
2) There is no corrosion

Other than that, it should be fine as long as you shut it off immediately after you spilled it, though it may be quite sticky.

Also, keep it unplugged, batter removed.

+1

no sense in NOT waiting a few days to be certain it's dry.

targobelle

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~
MBTI Type
enfp
I splashed a lil coffee on it and it won't turn on

the blue light comes on when I plug in the power... I am awaiting the arrival of my husband and then we have to go to a family birthday party which at the moment is stressful enough in and of it's self b/c firstly we're late.... secondly his mother hates me and thirdly I add undue stress to my husbands life and I can't seem to do anything right.... I just would really rather die at this moment then live another day stuck here

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I splashed a lil coffee on it and it won't turn on

the blue light comes on when I plug in the power... I am awaiting the arrival of my husband and then we have to go to a family birthday party which at the moment is stressful enough in and of it's self b/c firstly we're late.... secondly his mother hates me and thirdly I add undue stress to my husbands life and I can't seem to do anything right.... I just would really rather die at this moment then live another day stuck here

Could you just put it away somewhere, and maybe he won't notice until the party's over?

targobelle

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~
MBTI Type
enfp
it's brand new I will have to tell him (oh he's an entp...... )

I am an enfp..... I have been sobbing uncontrollably for the last 20mins.... he's gonna know something is wrong when he gets home......

what sucks is that the amount that splashed on the laptop and the table wasn't even enough to soak a tea towel. I have spashed more on a keyboard and still had it work......

I shall be numb by the time he gets home

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

So there's nothing you could do to hide it in the midst of all the stress? He's going to ask about the computer when he gets in, nothing you can do? You couldn't distract him by directing his attention to something else?

I am an enfp..... I have been sobbing uncontrollably for the last 20mins.... he's gonna know something is wrong when he gets home......

You could always look for something really sad on the Internet, and claim you cried when you read it because it touched your heart... you're probably sensitive enough that he'll believe it.

I don't understand why you would cry, though... I'd be more frustrated and anxious than sad. I guess xNFP's are more sensitive, poor things.

Usehername

On a mission

what sucks is that the amount that splashed on the laptop and the table wasn't even enough to soak a tea towel. I have spashed more on a keyboard and still had it work......

I shall be numb by the time he gets home

1. yes it sucks
2. it could be worse
3. it's gonna be okay i promise :hug:

(in the very large scheme of things, this is quite insignificant...)

Usehername

On a mission
you could turn off reality and watch a movie in your head until he gets home and then just proceed with the tasks that are time-dependent and deal with it later.