• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Famous Lies In Science

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Does wearing glasses or contacts make your eyesight worse?

No. But wearing contacts for a long time (I mean decades) can cause your eyes to get hypersensitive to having contacts in them. As far as I know, your eyesight either gets better or it gets worse, but it has nothing to do with wearing glasses or contacts.

My favourite blacklisted "truth": You get salmonella (as in moderate to severe food poisoning) from eating raw eggs.

Not necessarily true. If you're very young, very old, or already sick you might get full blown salmonella, but in most cases the average healthy person will not get it. If anything, their digestive tract might get a tiny bit whoozy for a day or two depending on what they ate.

Dark Razor

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Wrong. The cold water part is right, otherwise totally incorrect. The worst that will do is it will cause you to get runner's lung or feel tired faster, it isn't wise to exercise in general after eating, if you're out of shape you can have a heart attack. This being said, it has nothing to do with "cramps" and drowning. Even if you were to get a cramp, you won't die, as cramps are not something that paralyzes you and makes you unable to swim. Check snopes, wikipedia, etc.

Sorry, didn't see you'd already posted something about this Jennifer :p!

:blush:

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Did the Holocaust really happen or is it just an elaborate hoax like the moon landing? (In America, I can question this.)

Aven

MBTI Type
INTP
Did the Holocaust really happen or is it just an elaborate hoax like the moon landing? (In America, I can question this.)

Actually, you can question this wherever you want, the repercussions of voicing your questioning might be severe in other countries, but you can certainly question it.

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
The only reason the "Entropy makes evolution impossible" argument works at all is that people learn "entropy=disorder", think "evolution=more complex=less disordered", and than combine the two, so basically, it's a bunch of arguers taking advantage of lack of knowledge and misconceptions.

Oh, and regarding the evolution thing, totally agree. The fun part is they never quote the entire second law, it's -VERY- precise about where it applies, only in closed systems must the entropy count rise. The earth's not a closed system, it has energy input from the sun. I talked to someone about that once, and she told me the sun's energy wasn't productive, so I asked her how plants exist :p

The version I would likely use in an argument is:

All biological processes obey the second law of thermodynamics (Although entropy increase is used for closed systems, there are other conditions for different types of systems that allow people to work out what the most stable state will be.), including reproduction, and evolution over time will just be a bunch of biological processes over and over where the life forms tend to change over time.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Actually, you can question this wherever you want, the repercussions of voicing your questioning might be severe in other countries, but you can certainly question it.

Meet Ernst and Fred. Both have gotten thrown in jail for expressing their beliefs.

The treatment Holocaust deniers receive for expressing their views in most European countries is a violation of basic human rights and quite fascist itself.

Such punishment for denying it leads me to believe that these people are merely cutting further into the truth and hence pose a threat to those who hold power.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
I think I made it clear, the point of this thread isn't to argue about why you disagree with other people unless you have a scientific basis, it's for bitching, kthx :}

Oh, and regarding the evolution thing, totally agree. The fun part is they never quote the entire second law, it's -VERY- precise about where it applies, only in closed systems must the entropy count rise. The earth's not a closed system, it has energy input from the sun. I talked to someone about that once, and she told me the sun's energy wasn't productive, so I asked her how plants exist :p
The weirdest thing about evolution is the beginning. The threshold of the inanimate and the animate. If the sun's energy wasn't productive, how anything came by? And of course we have to rule miracle out.
How many different amino acid combinations do we have? What is the level of sophistication to create enzymes? At the same time there is the apparent simplicity of the nucleotide organism.
Why did it take such a long time to find the DNA? Without Crick they would not have found it. I have always marvelled at the simplicity in complexity. We are confused by astronomical numbers. Yet extreme variation is inbuilt in a simple system.
System is order.
We do not live in a closed order, no. Who does?

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
On evolution: Who knows? Maybe the world was created in 7 earth days.

Evolution has always remained a theory.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
On evolution: Who knows? Maybe the world was created in 7 earth days.

Evolution has always remained a theory.
The world is still being created. Galaxies are born all the time.
The study of the genome has affirmed the theory of evolution. It is basically sound. So is the theory of Mendel.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The world is still being created. Galaxies are born all the time.
The study of the genome has affirmed the theory of evolution. It is basically sound. So is the theory of Mendel.

You have yet to discover that reality plays tricks on you. Don't believe what anyone else says...only believe your own conceptions or admit that nothing is true.

Yes, Uberfuhrer. Holocaust really did happen.
So did moon landing.

Prove it.

History can be very deceitful.

Even if you are a survivor of it or related to a survivor of it, how do I know that you're not part of a secret organization that prints the lies in the history book?

I'm willing to acknowledge that abandoned death camps exist, and I'm even willing to acknowledge that there are bones still in the ground. But I'm also willing to acknowledge that it's an elaborate hoax.

Heero

MBTI Type
ITNP
I'd prefer if we stuck on topic, if you want to discuss the existence or non-existence of the holocaust, please make another thread :} (No offense to either of you intended, it is just a charged subject and completely off the topic here). So, I'm going to start us back on topic...

Okay, so more hatred!

It bugs me that people think you have to be in the sun and have a tan to be healthy. Granted, you require -SOME- sunlight, as recent medical science has shown, mostly for vitamin D production, etc. I totally agree with that. But just because I'm not always out in the "sun" playing with a "frisbee" doesn't mean I'm not healthy :}. Also, akin to this, is when people tell me to OPEN MY WINDOW, WITHOUT THE LIGHT I'M OBVIOUSLY SICK. Yes, some people get depressed without sunlight but...what...does that have to do with me, I'm happy :}?

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
You have yet to discover that reality plays tricks on you. Don't believe what anyone else says...only believe your own conceptions or admit that nothing is true.

Prove it.

History can be very deceitful.

Even if you are a survivor of it or related to a survivor of it, how do I know that you're not part of a secret organization that prints the lies in the history book?

I'm willing to acknowledge that abandoned death camps exist, and I'm even willing to acknowledge that there are bones still in the ground. But I'm also willing to acknowledge that it's an elaborate hoax.
We know that The Big Bang really banged. It was a giant explosion, Uberfuhrer. And how do we know this? Because of the radio wave. It comes of all parts of the sky. It is the Big Bang radiation thing. It is detectable in your television set when you have the tv open but you do not have a channel on. Listen to the lovely sound.

The Holocaust is true also. And how do we know this? Because of the memoirs of the survivors, Uberfuhrer. They cannot have known the exact details the other survivors knew. These books have been written in different languages. Why? Because the Jews spoke very many languages. Some spoke German, some spoke Polish, some spoke Yiddish, some spoke Ladino, some spoke Finnish.. they could not have known exactly the same details.
I have read many of these books, Uberfuhrer.

Sorry, Heero. We go away.