• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Chinese summer camps DNA tests kids ID genetic gifts, careers

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
If the science is sound, that is, if they can really identify genetic advantages, then I'm all for nurturing talents.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Oh you found it, I was thinking about posting this news.

I just have to wonder about kids who excel in areas they don't like. Or that like areas in which they don't excel. Should they be allowed to be mediocre, if that's what they want?

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Oh you found it, I was thinking about posting this news.

I just have to wonder about kids who excel in areas they don't like. Or that like areas in which they don't excel. Should they be allowed to be mediocre, if that's what they want?

I don't know. I mean, there are lots of children who excel in areas they don't like, and their parents find out about this without genetic testing and push them into that field anyway. I don't know if genetic testing for it would make it much worse than it already is for kids whose parents are already so inclined.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
As long as they aren't leading the kids into any careers that aren't actually what they typed out as (like using it as a way of forcing all of the kids into what the government wants), then I find it a great thing.

At least they aren't telling the kids where to go, but seeing what they are naturally good at. Assuming they aren't lying to them.

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
Any Geneticists or people familiar with it know how sound the science is with this? I know they can spot genes that are associated with disease, but can they really identify talents?

S

Sniffles

Any Geneticists or people familiar with it know how sound the science is with this? I know they can spot genes that are associated with disease, but can they really identify talents?

Even assuming the science is sound(which I doubt), there's still the more important ethical issue at play here.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
I don't know. I mean, there are lots of children who excel in areas they don't like, and their parents find out about this without genetic testing and push them into that field anyway. I don't know if genetic testing for it would make it much worse than it already is for kids whose parents are already so inclined.
Really? At least parents have an emotional bond with their children. What does the state have?

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Really? At least parents have an emotional bond with their children. What does the state have?

I'm sorry, I thought the camp was the one doing the testing and then after the camp the parents would have the choice to push their children as they pleased. I did not know that the state was the one who would be continuously pushing these children toward their 'talents' into the far future.