• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

UFOs ?

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
I find unicorns fascinating too.

Unicorns are myths and This guy presents a theory . I am not sure I see The connection..
Now if he said aliens were elves or werewolves.. I might see your reasoning..
Help me out here, Vic

Mole

Permabanned
Unicorns are myths and This guy presents a theory . I am not sure I see The connection..
Now if he said aliens were elves or werewolves.. I might see your reasoning..
Help me out here, Vic

The UFO movement has all the hallmarks of a paranoid obsession.

And paranoid obsessions distract us with their internal consistency, their logic.

They say that if the theory is internally consistent, if it is logical, it is true.

But this is merely sleight of hand to make UFOs plausible.

Unfortunately UFOs are highly implausible.

Theories are like computers. They both work on the same principle - garbage in, garbage out.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Seems to me that in a universe so big, there'd have to be life elsewhere. Have no idea if we have or ever will encounter it and am skeptical about most UFO stories. But the subject does bring to mind that humorous quote:

"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it." -- Jack Handey :laugh:

Mole

Permabanned
Seems to me that in a universe so big, there'd have to be life elsewhere. Have no idea if we have or ever will encounter it and am skeptical about most UFO stories. But the subject does bring to mind that humorous quote:

"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it." -- Jack Handey :laugh:

If there were life everywhere, it would mean the origins of life did not come about by wild chance, but that life arose freely and naturally from non-life.

And if that were true we would find many different origins of life here on Earth.

But we have discovered only one tree of life. We have discovered only one origin of life on Earth.

And as we have found only one form of life, only one form of DNA, on Earth, it is likely we are the only life form in the entire universe.

For the place to look for alien life forms is not in space, but here on Earth. And so far, even with gene sequencing, we have found no alien life on Earth.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
The UFO movement has all the hallmarks of a paranoid obsession.

And paranoid obsessions distract us with their internal consistency, their logic.

They say that if the theory is internally consistent, if it is logical, it is true.

But this is merely sleight of hand to make UFOs plausible.

Unfortunately UFOs are highly implausible.

Theories are like computers. They both work on the same principle - garbage in, garbage out.

Vic.. saying I find a theory fascinating is not in any way saying I believe in it or that I am even distracted by it.
I am interested in possibilities.
No matter how improbable or implausible something is.. Because it has been thought, It is then possible.

Mole

Permabanned
Vic.. saying I find a theory fascinating is not in any way saying I believe in it or that I am even distracted by it.
I am interested in possibilities.
No matter how improbable or implausible something is.. Because it has been thought, It is then possible.

UFOs are derivative of a belief in the Sky God.

But we have now gone above the clouds and even into orbit, but we can see there is no Sky God.

But still we long to be saved from the sky, so we still keep looking for UFOs, although in all this time we have found no evidence whatsoever. So at this point we are only working with blind faith.

I mean there is no more evidence for UFOs than for Poseidon, Zeus or the Trinity.

The Enlightenment of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries replaced blind faith with evidence and reason. However the New Age Movement seeks to return us to blind faith.

However blind faith is not only bad science, it is bad art as well.

Blind faith is simply bad taste, just as the New Age is for those with poor taste, just like UFOs.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
UFO's exist in the sense that we may sometimes see things we can not identify. Doesn't mean it has to be aliens.

I am also pretty certain that there are many, many people entertaining the thought of alien life for many purposes. Differing from public attention to profits.

I can not deny the possibility of other life out there in the universe. And thus I can not deny that we have been potentially visited by alien life forms.

But for as long as my life and theirs do not cross or can not benefit in any way, I see no reason to ponder the fact if they exist. Because you won't find the answer, and you can't believe other peoples so-called sightings or video's, because it's pretty easy to forge.

So unless they come to visit me personally, or my life is affected by them in some way. I have no reason to believe any of it is true. And I honestly don't care.

That's pretty much my stance on it.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5

But we have now gone above the clouds and even into orbit, but we can see there is no Sky God.

But still we long to be saved from the sky, so we still keep looking for UFOs, although in all this time we have found no evidence whatsoever. So at this point we are only working with blind faith.

I mean there is no more evidence for UFOs than for Poseidon, Zeus or the Trinity.

The Enlightenment of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries replaced blind faith with evidence and reason. However the New Age Movement seeks to return us to blind faith.

Blind faith is simply bad taste, as the New Age is for those with poor taste, just like UFOs.

Vic.. saying something is possible does not make it absolute by the very nature of the word possible. It leaves the situation open .. open even to the fact that might also be impossible. I am not seeking to advocate nor discredit anyone or anything on this subject.
You do not need to convince me of your views on the subject, I am well aware of them and also the school of thought that goes along with them.
I respect your opinion exactly for what it is..An opinion. I am old enough, Intelligent enough and experienced enough to know that opinions and facts are not the same thing.. Ever!!!
A simple solution to the angst you encounter with yourself while on these forums could easily be solved by knowing that difference..
I invite you to give it a try.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Aliens and UFO's?... Forget space,... Maybe they come from beneath the surface of the ocean,(Atlantis?) that theory could hold water much better then the idea of them coming from somewhere far off in outer space.

"UFO's" seemingly have a practical design for hydrodynamics as well as aerodynamics, and the typical "ET" is seen as a grey coloured being with large black eyes, almost as if they lived in an environment with very little light and oxygen, if any!...

They could be "fishmen"... In ancient Mesopotamia the Sumerians had metaphorical depictions of men wearing fish as head dressings, and just for the record, we only know about 4% of what is in our own oceans...I have enough faith to assume that the concept alone is responsible for their existence, but seeing is definitely believing.

How would one begin to determine our true purpose if ET's were real? What would be the ET's purpose in comparison to our own?

Or,... It's just the Germans screwing with all of what they call "Die dummkopfs"!

Cool thread BTW!:newwink:

Or military operations. It's not too far stretched to think scientists have created a craft potentially capable of nullifying gravity through creating a certain opposite momentum. And that such technology is not made public because the outcome of such technology in the wrong hands, say terrorist hands, would render everything on earth unsafe.

It's pretty frightening to think such technology could deliver warheads and bombs to any place on earth within seconds. Taking away any chance to counter measure.

I mean, if we're talking about what is more likely. I'd say humans are the most likely source of UFO's. :)

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Personally, I see no reason why there wouldn't be some sort of life else where. I can't say that I believe they look like the aliens that people draw with the big green heads, but I find it hard to believe that we're the only planet with anything actually living on it. If there are lots of other galaxy's and places, why not. We haven't reached the end of this... creation... this Universe we're in. So I wouldn't be surprised.

Mole

Permabanned
Break on Through to the Other Side!

A simple solution to the angst you encounter with yourself while on these forums...

My angst is cognitive dissonance.

And cognitive dissonance is necessary for learning.

Cognitive dissonance is emotionally painful and most seek to avoid it until they learn what is on the other side.

So on this side of cognitive dissonance is emotional pain and on the other side is discovery.

While most here seek to avoid cognitive dissonance and are comforted by stale decay, I seek cognitive dissonance to discover the deep down freshness of things.

So break on through, break on through to the other side!

heart

heart on fire
Maybe the people who like to believe in UFOs are just being delightfully metaphoric?

Mole

Permabanned
The Triumph of the Will

Maybe the people who like to believe in UFOs are just being delightfully metaphoric?

The Gods have abandoned us. We are fatherless children adrift in a universe we don't understand. But there are whispers they have been seen. They have been seen out of the corner of the eye before vanishing.

Of course its all our fault with destroying the environment and ready to destroy everything in one nuclear catastrophe. No wonder the Gods left us in our hubris, perhaps they have come back to save us from our nemesis.

And it is those who believe who will save us. They will save all those who believe hard enough. For if you believe in something hard enough, it will come true. It is the triumph of the will.

tenINsFJ

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w9

Blind faith is simply bad taste, just as the New Age is for those with poor taste, just like UFOs.

You are no more sure than the next person about anything.

Mole

Permabanned
You are no more sure than the next person about anything.

If that were true, science would be impossible.

And if that were true, even art would be impossible.

And for the know-nothings, science and art are impossible.

heart

heart on fire
What does the Enlightenment have to do with art? Art didn't just start with the Enlightenment. Cavemen had art.

lillyofthevalley

MBTI Type
INFJ
I think there is only a very small group of people who can prove the existence or nonexistence of alien visitation.

Interesting! :happy2: More detail, please?

It was a black triangle. I saw it as it went over my house. Big, no lights, no sound, traveling about 35-40 miles per hour. The only reason I could see it was because it was lit from below by light shining up from the city.

I would sure like to know more about it!

vince

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w
Chances of life on other planets : extremely likely

Chances of ET-life visiting us : near impossible because our evolution is so fast on the cosmic timescale and planets are so far away that so many factors would have to happen exactly right and just at the right time that it's waaaaaaaaaay too unlikely. Sorry it's just us.

Mole

Permabanned
Chances of life on other planets : extremely likely

This is wishful thinking because so far we have no evidence for alien life on other planets. And most important, so far we have no evidence of alien life on our planet.

But far worse, this wishful thinking is born of religion and blind faith.

vince

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w
This is wishful thinking because so far we have no evidence for alien life on other planets. And most important, so far we have no evidence of alien life on our planet.

But far worse, this wishful thinking is born of religion and blind faith.

Every self-respecting astronomer will say what I said. It's the exact opposite of blind faith. There's a gazillion planets out there of which a substantial amount of planets that are similar to ours.

These are just a few possible "places" in our solar system alone where ET life might be possible :
Top 5 Bets for Extraterrestrial Life in the Solar System | Wired Science | Wired.com

Like I said before, chances of lifeforms "visiting" us is an entirely different matter.