• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

UFOs ?

lillyofthevalley

MBTI Type
INFJ
Many of us believe we are not the only life in the universe. But what's the deal with UFOs? Are we being visited by extra terrestrial life? What is your opinion?

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I think it is a possibility. Since we cannot be sure, I don't think it wise to claim that they are not real. It's a fascinating subject, and sometimes I'd like to believe they are real. Bu we may not know for a long time.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
If there is intelligent life out there, I don't find it that hard to believe they may have visited. There are actually stories in the bible that suggest celestial visitations that have been interpreted as visits from God, however take that as you will.

However, if I had to make a guess, I'd say that we have NOT been visited, since the logistics and realities of deep space travel are such that I'd say the trip here would be unrealistic with our current understanding of how it works.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Would be weird if there wouldnt be life enywhere else in the universe, but would be even more weird if they would have been able to travel so great distances to get here.

Humans have really big need trying to explain the things they can not. Thats why they invented gods, ufos and other supernatural bullshit.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
It always scares me that we have had no visitors though. Like I've always hoped there is some way around the limitations in space travel. If not we might just be some lifeforms trapped on a small rock, destined to see only a speck of reality.

There is the chance that there are so many star systems, or so few intelligent lifeforms that we might not have been found. This is considered a likely option, and some people (including Stephen Hawking) have mentioned that sending signals into space is a bad idea as a result, because anything that can receive them is likely to be more advanced, and not necessarily friendly or respectful when they find an inhabitable planet.

On the other hand they might decode the messages, enjoy the Beatles, and come and abduct Paul McCartney. Going by the fact Paul McCartney is still here: either there are no aliens, the aliens didn't receive the Beatles messages, they can't get here/haven't got here yet, or they don't like the Beatles. The first and last options seem very unlikely, so I think it's one of the middle two.

lillyofthevalley

MBTI Type
INFJ
the logistics and realities of deep space travel are such that I'd say the trip here would be unrealistic with our current understanding of how it works.

Our current understanding is still in it's infantile stages. We think we're so smart but we still don't know a fraction of what we will know 100 years from now and so on. I don't discount that it would be possible to get here for a civilization thousands upon thousands of years more advanced than us.

Hawking calls UFO believers "Cranks and Weirdos" which I would only agree with on an individual basis, it pains me that some of these people of science have such closed minds.

lillyofthevalley

MBTI Type
INFJ
I think it is a possibility. Since we cannot be sure, I don't think it wise to claim that they are not real. It's a fascinating subject, and sometimes I'd like to believe they are real. Bu we may not know for a long time.

I always thought anyone who believed in UFOs was a goofball until I had a sighting about 4 years ago. What I saw could very well be a top secret black project but after searching the net for 4 years, it's still just theory despite the thousands of sightings of this same craft by others. This sighting has launched me into the quest to know. I'm still pretty skeptical about whether we are being visited but I personally know a couple of people who've had sightings and I consider them very down to earth (pun?) credible people. I promise you, that if this was a black project that I saw, it's going to blow your mind once it comes out of the closet, even though it already is in a way since it's out there over populated areas, but it might be that the agencies that manufacture this thing can get by with it since so many people are going to assume it's other worldly when they see it.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I always thought anyone who believed in UFOs was a goofball until I had a sighting about 4 years ago. What I saw could very well be a top secret black project but after searching the net for 4 years, it's still just theory despite the thousands of sightings of this same craft by others. This sighting has launched me into the quest to know. I'm still pretty skeptical about whether we are being visited but I personally know a couple of people who've had sightings and I consider them very down to earth (pun?) credible people. I promise you, that if this was a black project that I saw, it's going to blow your mind once it comes out of the closet, even though it already is in a way since it's out there over populated areas, but it might be that the agencies that manufacture this thing can get by with it since so many people are going to assume it's other worldly when they see it.

Well most scientists know they should be out there, apart from the ones who ignore all obvious data pointing toward life being common, or us not being uncommon. Whether they have come here or not is a question that is difficult to answer. What other technology would we have by that stage of advancement? Invisibility? Teleportation?

These seem like really crazy things to ask. But if you are realistically going to consider the question, rather than dismiss it because there is a social view that it is crazy, you need to ask them.

The Fermi Paradox page on Wikipedia is an interesting read. I'm assuming they are out there somewhere, whether they come here, I have no evidence of it, but I know nothing conclusive either way. It just seems strange from a behavioural point of view, that they'd do what they are said to do. Especially seeing space travel is assumed to be difficult.

sculpting

so when I was an undergrad our physics department had a speaker come in. He was well known and respected in his field for whatever he studied-something astronomical. He gave the normal physics seminar and then gave a larger lecture for the science division.

The talk was in three parts.

1-The origin of life. Not bad but being a biochemist it had some flaws. In general though the premise was sound

2-statistics based on timeline of the universe, evolutionary rates on our planet, and star size and density in the universe-not being my area of expertise it seemed reasonable

3-that aliens do exist, that they are among us and have inorganic brains. They are so small we cant see them and could fit into spaces between dimensions.

We were like WTF? This could explain much....

lillyofthevalley

MBTI Type
INFJ
so when I was an undergrad our physics department had a speaker come in. He was well known and respected in his field for whatever he studied-something astronomical. He gave the normal physics seminar and then gave a larger lecture for the science division.

The talk was in three parts.

1-The origin of life. Not bad but being a biochemist it had some flaws. In general though the premise was sound

2-statistics based on timeline of the universe, evolutionary rates on our planet, and star size and density in the universe-not being my area of expertise it seemed reasonable

3-that aliens do exist, that they are among us and have inorganic brains. They are so small we cant see them and could fit into spaces between dimensions.

We were like WTF? This could explain much....

Sounds like an interesting lecture although it must have been a shock to hear those statements. There are some very learned and respected people who believe in visitations. Honestly, when I listen to some of these theories, sometimes I have to force myself to suspend my judgement.

Prototype

THREADKILLER
MBTI Type
Why?
Aliens and UFO's?... Forget space,... Maybe they come from beneath the surface of the ocean,(Atlantis?) that theory could hold water much better then the idea of them coming from somewhere far off in outer space.

"UFO's" seemingly have a practical design for hydrodynamics as well as aerodynamics, and the typical "ET" is seen as a grey coloured being with large black eyes, almost as if they lived in an environment with very little light and oxygen, if any!...

They could be "fishmen"... In ancient Mesopotamia the Sumerians had metaphorical depictions of men wearing fish as head dressings, and just for the record, we only know about 4% of what is in our own oceans...I have enough faith to assume that the concept alone is responsible for their existence, but seeing is definitely believing.

How would one begin to determine our true purpose if ET's were real? What would be the ET's purpose in comparison to our own?

Or,... It's just the Germans screwing with all of what they call "Die dummkopfs"!

Cool thread BTW!:newwink:

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
On the lectures thing, what our lecturer said in our first cosmology lecture was pretty interesting, "We are like ants in some small corner of Earth looking out and guessing what the whole of Earth is like." In terms of space, we haven't got far at all. When we really stop and be honest about it, we have no idea what is out there.

compulsiverambler

Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think there are almost definitely technologically advanced creatures from other planets. Just statistically speaking. Could they have visited? Well, their planets and civilisations could be billions of years older than ours, plenty of time to have found ways around the obstacles currently blocking our own parth to inter-galactic travel. Scientists on Earth already have broad ideas of how to do it (go through wormholes as shortcuts, for example), they're just still working on the specifics and the resources.

For anyone keen on cutting through the multitude of probable hoaxes and positively identified sightings to the most interesting evidence and credible witnesses, I recommend the couple of documentaries made by James Fox about it. Most other documentaries I have found to be sensationalist wastes of time. Fox made me swing from a 'probably not' to a still bet-henching 'probably so'.

Humans have really big need trying to explain the things they can not. Thats why they invented gods, ufos and other supernatural bullshit.
If space travel and/or creatures intelligent enough to figure it out are supernatural, doesn't that make humans and our own space probes and excursions supernatural? What definition are you using?

KDude

Aliens and UFO's?... Forget space,... Maybe they come from beneath the surface of the ocean,(Atlantis?) that theory could hold water much better then the idea of them coming from somewhere far off in outer space.

"UFO's" seemingly have a practical design for hydrodynamics as well as aerodynamics, and the typical "ET" is seen as a grey coloured being with large black eyes, almost as if they lived in an environment with very little light and oxygen, if any!...

They could be "fishmen"... In ancient Mesopotamia the Sumerians had metaphorical depictions of men wearing fish as head dressings, and just for the record, we only know about 4% of what is in our own oceans...I have enough faith to assume that the concept alone is responsible for their existence, but seeing is definitely believing.

How would one begin to determine our true purpose if ET's were real? What would be the ET's purpose in comparison to our own?

Or,... It's just the Germans screwing with all of what they call "Die dummkopfs"!

Cool thread BTW!:newwink:

I'd probably hurt their feelings if they were actually from the ocean. Being from the ocean takes all the fun out of it. It'd be cool and all to know there was another equally intelligent (or higher) species on earth, but knowing that there is intelligent life in the rest of the universe is another thing entirely. Hell, even if most of the species on earth were as intelligent as us, and could communicate like us, I'd still be reminded how lonely this planet seems when compared to the size of the universe. :\

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
I think there is only a very small group of people who can prove the existence or nonexistence of alien visitation.

What I saw could very well be a top secret black project but after searching the net for 4 years, it's still just theory despite the thousands of sightings of this same craft by others.
Interesting! :happy2: More detail, please?

yvonne

A passer by
MBTI Type
INfP
Enneagram
5w4
On the other hand they might decode the messages, enjoy the Beatles, and come and abduct Paul McCartney. Going by the fact Paul McCartney is still here: either there are no aliens, the aliens didn't receive the Beatles messages, they can't get here/haven't got here yet, or they don't like the Beatles. The first and last options seem very unlikely, so I think it's one of the middle two.

LOL!!

Mole

Permabanned
Many of us believe we are not the only life in the universe. But what's the deal with UFOs? Are we being visited by extra terrestrial life? What is your opinion?

Because the universe is so big and the speed of light is so slow, we will never visit nor have visitors.

No, UFOs are part of a religion for the gullible and ignorant.

We don't have to look very far for the gullible and ignorant, for UFOs are no more spaceships than MBTI is a personality test.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
I have just googled for 20 minutes but I can't remember the guy's name.
But he is Russian and he hypothesizes that using evolution projections
Humans will eventually look a lot like Grey Aliens. He then asks who would be most interested in Humans? He goes on to explain that humans have always studied humanity and human history.
He then drops the theory that aliens are actually humans from the far away future.

I found his theory fascinating.. Don't you?