• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ADHD, Fact or Fiction?

forzen

MBTI Type
INTJ
I always thought ADHD was not a big deal, a while back i studied about it (out of boredom) and found myself with alot of the symptoms, I dismissed it as an excuse to be lazy. While i found myself relating, it never occured to me to see a psychiatrist to really see if i need treatment for it or not. While i am prompt to study harder because i do have some sort of learning disabilities and learning new information is very taxing on me mentally (I thought this was normal to learning new subjects). I usually have to read something 2-3 times before remembering any details, and i don't notice mistake on my writing/work till i checked it again. So i usually had to double/triple check majority of my work for errors. But it does bring questions to your intelligence when you have to constantly check your work constantly and lower your self esteem (specially if your an INTP, sigh). Not only that, for the first time in 8 years, i'am going to college. Going to college was an easy decision for me. I've always wanted to, but my habits and use of time was so chaotic in the past that I doubted myself, and leaving a secure job was very taxing and stressful. But I made up my mind to work as hard as possible to graduate. Of course it's easier said than done.

Today, i begged my friend to give me adderall. Now I did not think of it as treating anything. The purpose was to give me energy because i was planning to take a placement exam (and its a math test, one of my worst subject) and i need energy to study (i did research on adderall, and people in college often use it to do a all nighter). Of course i was only expecting a super energy boost (like a extra potent redbull, lol). What i got was alot more. The effect was nothing "but" spectacular (first drug i've taken btw, so no i'm not a addict), it had sort of a calming effect on me. Usually my head is full of random thoughts, jumping from subject to subject, that for the first time i felt I was relaxed, mind and body. And i felt more confident because i felt focus, and it felt different from drinking caffeine, since caffeine/redbull only gives me wings lol.

Now i'm going to see a pyschiatrist soon to perhaps get ADHD medication if i'm diagnose. I think its going to help me significantly, not only with my education, but on all aspect of my life (btw, i have 3 siblings, 2 takes ADHD med as well as my mom).

Now i'm trying to get feedback on people who might know or might have ADHD, or if you think its just another way of saying "i'm lazy", on ways to cope without the medication. I'm not really fond of taking medication and rather not if i can help it, but i have tried many ways to rid myself of my shortcoming, some of these are mostly memory problems, as well as anxiety from too much stimuli. Some methods i used mostly consist of playing mental games, trying to set up routine/habits to follow, and trying to keep myself on task. Problem is, they only last for 2-3 days at the most and I loose interest. And i don't like doing routine, so that doesn't help, and learning subjects and doing activities only last for as long as I'm exited about it (looks up the billion of video games that's sitting on shelves unbeaten).

Enough of my sob story, thoughts regarding ADHD.......*your a idiot comment*, *quit being lazy*, *play smallest violin*, wall of text.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
I think ADHD is bullshit. It's a made up condition, a basket of symptoms "defined" as a "disorder".

I say this as someone who worked closely with a healthcare company specializing in ADHD. I think you could even make an argument that some people appear to have ADHD because of differences in personality type. For example, I bet EXXP types are more "ADHD" than other types.

forzen

MBTI Type
INTJ
I think ADHD is bullshit. It's a made up condition, a basket of symptoms "defined" as a "disorder".

I say this as someone who worked closely with a healthcare company specializing in ADHD. I think you could even make an argument that some people appear to have ADHD because of differences in personality type. For example, I bet EXXP types are more "ADHD" than other types.

True, i also thought the same thing. That's why i never bothered to see a psychiatrist (if i could buy adderall i would just get it, instead of wasting time in a clinic). But i did not expect the effect to be so helpful. Especially since I do have a hard time memorizing and i make mistake that i don't notice (putting a + instead of a minus sign on a math problem is one example, and this happens enough time that i doubt everything i do). As well as having anxiety because of too much stimuli (i peel my lips because i can't stand the dry skin, as well as not knowing where to rest my jaw, because it seems like its always out of place, and i'm frigging nervous whenever i hit a intersection with another car). The medicine did alleviate those symptoms, so its worth getting(the medication, hate that it requires prescription) for those alone (since it gets anoying). Now i might or might not have ADHD, but i do relate to alot of its symptom. It doesn't disable me, it just makes everything harder and I do get alot of WTF moments.

Now imagine not being able to stand routine things as well as getting bored when reading technical materials that you would like learn. Wow, its like, you can't stand to do SJ jobs, but not enough patience/knowledge to do NT crap (now your looking at a stupid INTP, wtf god, which is a very bad combination). You do have a point, people is milking the crap out of it. And the cause still remains a mystery and probably belongs to the same catergory as "intelligent life form in another planet".

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
It does correspond with personality type - but it's not our world. Not being able to slog past the bullshit for whatever reason, particularly when there's a structural difference in the brain that can be demonstrated (smaller left prefrontal cortex), it lends a lot of credence to the idea that something not quite right is going on here.

There wouldn't be any controversy in the general public if people weren't given amphetamine for it.

forzen

MBTI Type
INTJ
It does correspond with personality type - but it's not our world. Not being able to slog past the bullshit for whatever reason, particularly when there's a structural difference in the brain that can be demonstrated (smaller left prefrontal cortex), it lends a lot of credence to the idea that something not quite right is going on here.

There wouldn't be any controversy in the general public if people weren't given amphetamine for it.

Of course it does correspond with some personality type, but SPs are generally outstanding in sport/music and have the tendancy to became virtuoso in their choosen activity (or at least wow the average joe with their dexterity). But the two subjects does share a room and many questions the reliablity of "personality type" as much as ADHD. Of course ADHD is getting fat off the peoples tax dollars and the other isn't. *kicks basketball into the violin*

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
My ADHD comment:

I think there are some people who indeed do have problems with concentration.

But what I'm very worried about is how the society wants everybody to be average and "normal". I mean, everybody, who is not average or "normal" in majority's eyes is seen mentally ill these days. It's over medication.

So, everybody who isn't seen as average or "normal" is medicated to be "normal". I hate that. Just like young children think that the movie stars who have gone under many different plastic sugeries are normal people by looks and the objective of the children is to become one. Hello! It's only surgery and plastic and on the other hand. It's all quite sick stuff.

I suspect many children with ADHD diagnostic these days don't have it, they are just children aren't average in certain behavioral things.

I don't know the case with the original author. This was just my comment on the ADHD thing that is going on in the society.

AOA

♣️♦️♠️♥️
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx

Seconded.

... I would also think that the problem with ADHD is (merely) contemporary with what people generally go through. Given we're all different, and are diverse in many ways, what we tend to do is look at others, and compare/relate for that senseless 'sense' of belonging, and fit in.

So, in other words, ADHD may be one of the human obstacles that people have only 'named', whereas there may still be a lot more so-called 'obstacles' to name yet.

forzen

MBTI Type
INTJ
My ADHD comment:

I think there are some people who indeed do have problems with concentration.

But what I'm very worried about is how the society wants everybody to be average and "normal". I mean, everybody, who is not average or "normal" in majority's eyes is seen mentally ill these days. It's over medication.

So, everybody who isn't seen as average or "normal" is medicated to be "normal". I hate that. Just like young children think that the movie stars who have gone under many different plastic sugeries are normal people by looks and the objective of the children is to become one. Hello! It's only surgery and plastic and on the other hand. It's all quite sick stuff.

I suspect many children with ADHD diagnostic these days don't have it, they are just children aren't average in certain behavioral things.

I don't know the case with the original author. This was just my comment on the ADHD thing that is going on in the society.

Sociaty does tend to look down on things that is not normal, but the general idea of bringing someone to the "normal" level is generally so said individual has the same opportunity as everyone else. Of course plastic surgery is a little different from a mental disorder (or similar if you take the context that someone who isn't happy about their look is burden by it), but sociaty does demand that a person should contribute to its well being, and not being normal can hinder said person to sociaties "ideal person". Wheather the individual choose to obey sociaties demand or to disobey it to follow their own belief is up to that individual. But wheather that person likes it or not, he will eventually will get sucked in and to disobey will often times lead to a life of solitude or brand as a outcast (the belief of an individual is tied into his happiness, so long as it doesn't interfere, its perfectly acceptable nowdays). But people with mental disorder sometimes don't even know they have choices till sociaty intervenes.

-note my response does not pertain anything regarding ADHD

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Agreed. I have issues focusing, especially if I am expected to operate outside of my preferred mode of multi-tasking. Focusing on one thing at a time kills me. Give me 7 things to do and four hours to do them all and I will give you 7 great work products. Give me 1 thing to do and four hours to do it and you will get shit. :doh:

Also, if I am in a meeting, and I am not presenting, or at least being asked to contribuite meaningfully, I literally go to sleep. A few years ago, the second in charge of my Agency sent an e-mail to my BlackBerry with a subject of "WAKE UP! :)" during a meeting. I was out cold. My Blackberry buzzed, I read that, looked right up at her, and she was staring me in the eye barely able to suppress the laughter rising from within her. It was a funny moment. We were cool so she never razzed me about it.

Finally, if I am expected to do low-level non-creative work, it totally bores me and slows me down.

I have a prescription for Ritalin, as Adderall is name brand and really expensive. I didn't get any meds for ADHD until I was about 30. Many people I've known have said that I am the ADHD poster child. :happy: Always happy, creative, talks fast, walks fast, uses much hand movement when talking, fidgets when trying to sit still, blurted out things during grade school I shouldn't have, etc.

BUT - I do not consider this a disorder. At this point to me, it is a gift. I know how to use it. I seek out environments where I am able to supervise myself and be OK. If I do need meds for a particular day or short duration of time, I have them. Rock on. Let's live.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
Agreed. I have issues focusing, especially if I am expected to operate outside of my preferred mode of multi-tasking. Focusing on one thing at a time kills me. Give me 7 things to do and four hours to do them all and I will give you 7 great work products. Give me 1 thing to do and four hours to do it and you will get shit. :doh:

Also, if I am in a meeting, and I am not presenting, or at least being asked to contribuite meaningfully, I literally go to sleep. A few years ago, the second in charge of my Agency sent an e-mail to my BlackBerry with a subject of "WAKE UP! :)" during a meeting. I was out cold. My Blackberry buzzed, I read that, looked right up at her, and she was staring me in the eye barely able to suppress the laughter rising from within her. It was a funny moment. We were cool so she never razzed me about it.

Finally, if I am expected to do low-level non-creative work, it totally bores me and slows me down.

I have a prescription for Ritalin, as Adderall is name brand and really expensive. I didn't get any meds for ADHD until I was about 30. Many people I've known have said that I am the ADHD poster child. :happy: Always happy, creative, talks fast, walks fast, uses much hand movement when talking, fidgets when trying to sit still, blurted out things during grade school I shouldn't have, etc.

BUT - I do not consider this a disorder. At this point to me, it is a gift. I know how to use it. I seek out environments where I am able to supervise myself and be OK. If I do need meds for a particular day or short duration of time, I have them. Rock on. Let's live.

Sounds familiar.

I don't consider myself a bad person for being diagnosed with this particular neurochemical difference. I just realize that I live in a world whose rules are profoundly different than the one I was wired to thrive in. If I want success for myself and the ones I care about, I have to find a way to function in that world. Medication helps immensely.

The neurodiversity argument bugs me, as well. It's like there's this fear that everyone is going to be forced into a SJ pod-person shell. I can assure you, even when I'm on the meds, I'm still NP as all hell - it's just that I can turn it off for a little while when drudgery has to be slogged through, and let's face it, we live in a post-agricultural/industrial world. There's going to be a ton of drudgery and grunt work even in the most interesting of lines of work. Until I can pay someone to do all that crap for me, I'm going to have to get through it.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

My wife says that the problem is that it is overdiagnosed. Doesn't mean there is no such disease (or that it is tied to certan types). Too bad this didn't come up when we met, as we could have discussed it.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
We see what we want to see, it's an illusion.

Let us all carry on dancing our own dances.

After all, this ball only lasts until 12.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think ADHD exists, but I don't think it should be treated with ritalin. I think kids who prefer physical activity should be allowed to be physical. I think parents should stop stuffing their kids with sugar. And hold off on the caffienated beverages, by the way, I can't believe the dumb shits who give two year olds pepsi.

There are some valid cases, though. But other things should be ruled out first, and children should be allowed to PLAY.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
I think ADHD exists, but I don't think it should be treated with ritalin. I think kids who prefer physical activity should be allowed to be physical. I think parents should stop stuffing their kids with sugar. And hold off on the caffienated beverages, by the way, I can't believe the dumb shits who give two year olds pepsi.

There are some valid cases, though. But other things should be ruled out first, and children should be allowed to PLAY.

I think a lot of it is due to lack of exercise and poor diet. When I get my ass kicked physically I am a lot more calm, relaxed, and focused.

MBTI Type
INxJ
My wife says that the problem is that it is overdiagnosed. Doesn't mean there is no such disease (or that it is tied to certan types). Too bad this didn't come up when we met, as we could have discussed it.

Indeed.

There are many consequences for all the pollution in air, water, personal hygiene, and food that people consume. ADHD is just a tip of the disease boom iceberg.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think the pace of our society encourages ADHD-like behavior. This is the world of the 24 second news cycle. How could this cultivate attention span and patience?

I'd like to add that, regardless of it's viability as a disease I think it's harmful to give psychiatric pills to people before puberty, and I'll bet it permanently effects them. They are still developing.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
All disorders are just a collection of symptoms that have been correlated after observing their occurance in a number of people. It's just a shorhand way of listing off the symptoms someone is experiencing. I don't think ADHD has to be a sentence.

As a parent, I would not want to give my child Ritalin. It does have a dampening affect on all aspects of the child and they are often not working at their optimum. I have talked to adults who were diagnosed with ADHD in high school. They took meds for awhile, but didn't like the way it made them feel. They eventually found other ways of dealing with it through having things like a stress ball to squeeze, some kind of repetitive movement to help them focus, walking while readiing and so on.

The main factors I have seen that contribute to inattention and hyperactivity of kids I've taught have included:

Going through an emotionally traumatic situation (divorce, separation from a loved one, a move, big change in their lives).

Poor diet and not enough exercise

Need for stronger emotional attachments to caring adults

Too much peer stimulation, not enough adult involvement

Excessive amount of TV/video games

However, our schools are also not set up to meet the needs of active, hands on learner who need to move around. As a teacher, I do not have control over their home situation. Many parents are more likely to wish to get a prescription rather than change their whole lifestyle. There are some children that I wouldn't teach in a classroom setting without these drugs, although I personally dislike them and question the long term effects on the child.

For adults, I think the same factors are worth taking into consideration before using drugs to cope. It may require you to also think carefully about what kind of profession you choose to go in to. I also would be very careful to make sure that you research all of the possible long term health effects of taking Adderol (or its equivalents). Doctors are only slightly more educated guessers than us. They often are busy and do not have the same interest or time for your health as you do. I wouldn't rule drugs out, but certainly it's worth considering if any emotional issues or other factors are exacerbating the problem.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
ADHD is very real in the affects it can have on human functionality, the symptoms generally coincide with pretty steady affects on human behavior, and although no singular base cause has really been found-I believe?, even if it is an umbrella term doesn't take away from it.