• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ADHD, Fact or Fiction?

Sinmara

Not Your Therapist
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Did you really need to necro this?

People with ADHD have morphological abnormalities of the thalamus. Here is an article explaining what that means. It is not a product of society, it is not diet, it is not a lack of exercise, it is not laziness. Are we done being big pharma hating pseudo-science doctors about this now or would everyone like to have another round of vilifying the drugs necessary to treat this so the people with ADHD can function at a basic level? Anyone?

Codex

MBTI Type
ENTJ
I do think a very large percentage of people "with" ADHD are misdiagnosed, simply because the symptoms are very common for a lot of things, which causes the over diagnoses.
That does not mean that ADHD is not real, and to suggest so is extremely ignorant.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I do think a very large percentage of people "with" ADHD are misdiagnosed, simply because the symptoms are very common for a lot of things, which causes the over diagnoses.
That does not mean that ADHD is not real, and to suggest so is extremely ignorant.
Agreed. I also think doctors can be too eager to diagnose it. My brother was really active as a little kid, and doctors told our mom it was ADHD, and wanted to put him on Ritalin. But he had none of the other symptoms. He didn't have trouble focusing or completing his school assignments. He was just a typical hyper little boy.

I think people in general are being massively overprescribed. That's not to say that everyone should stop taking their meds. I am in no way suggesting that. But it seems like everybody is on medication for something. And I wonder, in a lot of cases, if it's necessary, or just an easy fix.

Plus the side effects of some prescription drugs are just insane. One drug cures Restless Leg Syndrome, but you might develop an uncontrollable urge to gamble. Another will help you quit smoking, but might give you night terrors. A woman I know who used to take Ambien for insomnia said it made her do all kinds of things she didn't remember doing. Like ordering takeout and cleaning her house. She had to have her husband hide her car keys so she wouldn't drive somewhere in her weird fugue state and run somebody over.

I just... wow. I don't know how some drugs ever get approved by the FDA.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I do think that it is overdiagnosed (along with a lot of psychiatric things) especially in children, where it seems as though chemically restraining them is easier than letting them run and play and be curious like kids tend to enjoy doing

however, I don't think that it's fiction in the least. most people focus on the whole "I'm hyperactive!" or "I can't pay attention" aspects instead of the fact that impulse control is also a good part of things, even when a person realizes that some things just aren't a good idea. traffic tickets are supposed to be a good indicator if you have a lot of them, adults who are untreated are much more likely to have issues with substance abuse and losing one's temper over seemingly nothing, but then getting over the anger quickly is also supposed to be a good indicator. furthermore, who the hell WANTS to spend a good deal of time having everyone that they value telling them that they aren't listening to them and who wants to sit down and genuinely try to read a textbook for class and realize that they just wasted a few hours because their brain somehow shorted out on them?

and the drugs aren't really a picnic either... they'll only take you up to normal levels of functionality if you do things right, instead of superhuman abilities like in Limitless... and the whole side effect of being more sensitive to heat can make a person sweat like one would assume that Jabba the Hutt would if he ran a marathon in Miami in the summertime, which is kind of gross. :sick: