• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

BASIC Level "Science Test"

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
11/12
I wasn't sure about the heart attack business, but well, it made sense.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
And Hap... You might learn most of that stuff in school, depending on how old you are, and how much they have lowered the bar in your classes.

After all, everyone is a winner, even the losers. :rolleyes:

Not really. If I had been in biology the year they found ice on Mars, we wouldn't have discussed it. We never discussed the effect of aspirin as a blood thinner wouldn't have been discussed in a biology class or even a health class probably because most kids are "too young" to get it. Most of these things I have never heard of from school (except for maybe the question about lasers); pretty much everything on here I had learned from watching the news and commercials. Of course, the amount of "research" needed to know these are very minimal because they are usually announced and you could get them by just, well, paying attention, but they are definitely not things you would have learned in school.

Questions based on things you would have learned at school: "which is hotter, a metal heated up to a red glow or the same metal heated up to a blue glow?" "What organs does the endocrine system include?" "What elements does NH4 include?" etc.

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
Late comment, I'm aware.

By "basic level," this test essentially means "science news."

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
A more naive me would have been shocked that everyone didn't know the answers to these basic questions.

Why? The questions may be basic but they aren't of interest to everyone.

I got 10/12. I really don't care how lasers work, I prolly should know and understand what anitbiotics don't do but it's really not of interest, I'm more concerned about the effects that any specific antibiotic I take may have. A bunch of others that have no impact on me were best-guesses that turned out right.

Got them all. It is really sad that people got only ten or less correct.

Please, superiority complex much? What's to be sad about? I got 'only 10 or less correct', I'm not stupid and am pleased to say I've not once stabbed myself in the thigh trying to figure out how a sharp object might hurt me. It's great that people are getting 12/12 but not doing so is not an indication of stupidity or lack of intellect.

Kyrielle stated it well:

12/12 Those weren't too hard, but I could see how the average person wouldn't know about these things without being interested in them first. I would have thought "basic" science questions would be more related to the main laws of Newtonian physics, limited chemistry, limited biology, and a little bit of "earth science". The sorts of things people should know about how the world works on a very basic level so that they could survive just fine on a day-to-day basis.

I would not expect the average person to know what stem cells can do, how lasers work, or how big an electron is. These are things that are interesting to know, but will not make or break your understanding of the world. That a person knows that atoms exist and they are extremely small, that cells make up your body and can be damaged, and that lasers can damage your eyes because they are very bright is good enough really.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Yeh, the fact they are physics does not make them difficult. People must just see physics questions and panic. Anyone who went to school could probably answer the second one quite easily (it's like asking is a door smaller than a house). And anyone who has ever seen a laser would guess that the bright silent beam that comes out of it is not sound.

Have I stated that because they were physics based, they would be hard?

Sorry, I wasn't suggesting you did. It was just a general statement, elaborating on your observation.

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
10/12. I approve. More questions would prove amusing, in my opinion.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
:doh: oh, dear gawd... I got 12 out of 12, I must not have a life.

Windigo

Before I started clapping my own back for being part of the top 10% I realized that most of these questions really tested your commitment to keeping up with the latest headlines. Isn't that testing more about your social intelligence than your actual logical capabilities?

Of course I have never quite gotten over my shock of people's ignorance. The following are actual quotes I have heard from the masses. "That's not England . . . England is a country not an island." and "Oh you came from Washington DC? That's in the Midwest somewhere, right?"

redsox44344

MBTI Type
ENTP
I got all of them correct. Wasn't really any kind of difficult test, but I wish people would know more about science. Agreeing partially with the comment above, however, some of these were more recently begun to be taught in school systems.

Mad Hatter

Head Pigeon
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
-1w
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
11/12. Didn't know that aspirin is recommended to prevent heart attacks, but then again it may be an US thing (I only know it as a drug against headaches and fever).

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
12 / 12 here too.

I wouldn't expect most people under 25 to know that aspirin is a heart-attack preventative though.

Flush

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Hmm, the one question I got wrong was the one most people got right, and the right answer was the alternative I ruled out first.

Soar337

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I got ten .... :/

Omg, I didn't choose aspirin because it can CREATE heart attacks!

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
11/12. Didn't know that aspirin is recommended to prevent heart attacks, but then again it may be an US thing (I only know it as a drug against headaches and fever).

I didn't know it either (it's definitely an US thing), but then, I knew Antacids and Cortisone couldn't be responsible for it, so I guessed right in the end.