• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Nikola Tesla

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Superb individual, perfect caricature of an ENTP. WAY ahead of his time and the quintessential "idea man" with a terrible sense of what was probable/practical.

The conflict between him and Edison was extremely interesting. He got a bit obsessed with wireless energy a bit too early, but we allow geniuses their quirks.

Willfrey

MBTI Type
IsTP
Edison was an elephant murderer!

I'd of love to have seen his huge tower in action.

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
i do not know a lot about him, but he seems very interesting. i really enjoyed reading his (very short) autobiography.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I think he was a REAL INTP. Not like the goofy ones we see online. ;)

He was a genius who had ideas that were ahead of his time, and was constantly frustrated by the fact that people of that time just didn't like or appreciate his ideas or inventions, regardless of how interesting or significant they really were.

He's the NT equivalent of the frustrated artist whose work wasn't appreciated until after his death.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Superb individual, perfect caricature of an ENTP. WAY ahead of his time and the quintessential "idea man" with a terrible sense of what was probable/practical.

The conflict between him and Edison was extremely interesting. He got a bit obsessed with wireless energy a bit too early, but we allow geniuses their quirks.

+10000

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I think he was a REAL INTP. Not like the goofy ones we see online. ;)

He was a genius who had ideas that were ahead of his time, and was constantly frustrated by the fact that people of that time just didn't like or appreciate his ideas or inventions, regardless of how interesting or significant they really were.

He's the NT equivalent of the frustrated artist whose work wasn't appreciated until after his death.

His entire MO is just runaway Ne with Ti not being able to keep up. Definitely not an INTP. And INTP would never say "We don't have enough energy to reach that distance? Well then we need a BIGGER Tesla Coil!"

An INTP, if he ever got around to to it, would say "We don't have enough energy to reach that distance? Well then we need a BETTER Tesla Coil!"

He should be his own type, called NETP.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
he was crazy, some people say INTP some say INTJ, others ENTP, I doubt INTJ, his hallucinations seemed Ne fueled. His inventions are totally ENTP too. I watched a youtube video on him that was very very interesting... I couldn't sit there and read the wikipedia profile :blush:

r.a

meat popsicle
MBTI Type
STFU
he was undoubtedly one of the most prolific minds to contribute to science, ever. its unfortunate most of his work was seized by different interested parties because it could have changed EVERYTHING we experience with energy and how things are powered. unfortunately, tesla was too ahead of his time, and that attracted attention from the wrong people.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
His entire MO is just runaway Ne with Ti not being able to keep up. Definitely not an INTP. And INTP would never say "We don't have enough energy to reach that distance? Well then we need a BIGGER Tesla Coil!"

An INTP, if he ever got around to to it, would say "We don't have enough energy to reach that distance? Well then we need a BETTER Tesla Coil!"

He should be his own type, called NETP.

Come to think of it, that might be why I liked him. INTPs, to me, seem pointlessly obsessive of the logic (or lack thereof) in mundane things, and then only according to their own (often odd and subjective) principles. This guy had the same analytical obsessions, but he also had... VISION, and genuinely new ideas. It was all about improving things, creating new ways of doing things.

I mean, INTPs are good, but the way they anchor everything in logic can eventually get a bit dull.

ygolo

My termites win
INTP vision is different from ENTP vision...perhaps less vivid in general, but we still have it.

Let's not forget Einstein was an INTP.

I agree with Tesla being an ENTP. Edison, likely an ENTJ.

Tesla was well educated, Edison not.

Tesla wanted AC transmission, Edison, DC.

After reading both Tesla's autobiography and Edison's diary, it was clear that Tesla was the more articulate one in writing (it maybe that a diary is just more raw, but Tesla's autobiography was raw in itself).

Telsa was the more outspoken/challenging type of ENTP... a Type 8 I think, or perhaps a 5 who became an 8.

There are many of Tesla's so called far-fetched ideas that have been vidicated. He was way ahead of his time.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
I love Tesla, and I won't say much more than anyone else will, so i will say this:

The man is proof man can become God-like. Anyman that can create an earthquake machine in a lab has gone far beyond his mortal coil.

PS: he was ENTP, its quite obvious. stop trying to shove him into the INTP or INTJ camps simply because INTs are the traditional "martyrs for science".

staytuned7

Tesla was the man.

I have much, much respect for him and his work. It's a shame he was too "ahead of his time" and absolutely crazy, because he could have rocked the world. People didn't like/"put up with" crazy back then. He was a genius and, sadly, most of that died with him.

I'm not even going to begin to think I know what type he is. I don't think it's relevant. That guy was Type Awesome. I wish I could have tea with him :D

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
from what i have read about him and in his autobiography, tesla did not seem to doubt himself. i have the impression of a man of amazing optimism.

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
from what i have read about him and in his autobiography, tesla did not seem to doubt himself. i have the impression of a man of amazing optimism.

Only an INTJ can have that much originality and confidence in his visions. Would an entp never marry and die alone? Maybe the rumors were true, he's not a man, we can't define him in humanistic terms. Mark Twain made a story which referred to Tesla as an angel, they were good friends.

I don't think he was an intp either, because he poked holes in Einstien's theories of relativity.

Concerning Albert Einstein's relativity theory, Tesla stated that '...the relativity theory, by the way, is much older than its present proponents. It was advanced over 200 years ago by my illustrious countryman Boskovic, the great philospher, who, not withstanding other and multifold obligations, wrote a thousand volumes of excellent literature on a vast variety of subjects. Boskovic dealt with relativity, including the so-called time-space continuum...', (1936 unpublished interview, quoted in Anderson, L, ed. Nikola Tesla: Lecture Before the New York Academy of Sciences: The Streams of Lenard and Roentgen and Novel Apparatus for Their Production, April 6, 1897, reconstructed 1994).

Tesla was critical of Einstein's (theory of) relativity work,

...[a] magnificent mathematical garb which fascinates, dazzles and makes people blind to the underlying errors. The theory is like a beggar clothed in purple whom ignorant people take for a king...., its exponents are brilliant men but they are metaphysicists rather than scientists... (New York Times, July 11, 1935, p23, c.8).
Tesla also stated that:

"I hold that space cannot be curved, for the simple reason that it can have no properties. It might as well be said that God has properties. He has not, but only attributes and these are of our own making. Of properties we can only speak when dealing with matter filling the space. To say that in the presence of large bodies space becomes curved is equivalent to stating that something can act upon nothing. I, for one, refuse to subscribe to such a view." (New York Hearald Tribune, September 11, 1932)

I think this is INTJish, he's saying that it's a great theory, but most likely it doesn't work in reality.
Math itself is not as logical as you think, if you calculate the circumference of a circle using the formula (Pi x r^2) Pi is an irrational never ending number, so in theory, the answer you get using this equation ALWAYS says the circle doesn't complete itself and never will. But in reality we all know this isn't true, a circle can and does meet it's other end.

In this sense I can easily relate to what Tesla meant by when he said mathematical mumble jumble.