• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

win7

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I has it :D. Best thing is that Vista used 2 GB of my memory, while 7 uses around 800 MB, without applications running. A lot bettah:

win7.png

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What else can you tell us about it? How does it handle the multicore 64-bit processors?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
works basically like vista so far, with the exception that the IE got more troubles in showing content sometime. I had to install flashplayer for like 15 times now and somehow it works now, tho it never said the installation suceeded. In the 64-bit IE things like the flashplayer installation doesnt work at all yet. (if I use it with avant browser tho, instead of IE everything is fine)

I finally can again use my programming tools. Installed Visual Studio and win7 actually finds the path to the compiler. Vista had its problems, cause it used daemon paths to generate more security which but only lead to my programming language not able to find the machine code compiler.

Furthermore the GUI is fun. It uses different shiny colours for your open tabs in the taskbar and if you hover over the IE symbol you can directly open your favourites, which is great.

Works with all my games so far, got zero issues with 64-bit problems, its all downgradeable to lower compability standards. Even Soccer Manager my old game from 1998 runs perfectly.

Driver support is marvellous, installed every part of my hardware on first startup. I nevertheless installed the ASUS driver, cause they got some tools like fan controls and heat measurement. That caused some problems, cause the installation ende saying "the drivers aint for this operating system". Installed in Vista compability mode then and it worked flawlessly.

Automatization and recognisation of your hardware by the OP has gained a new level, windows totally configured my graphic settings the right way on its own and even calibrated my old 19" monitor, I use as second monitor and which has been broken for years but now has the image perfectly fit into the edges.

The only thing so far, win7 needs about 5 seconds more to load than Vista. But I only got the Release Candidate, could be due to the fact its still a beta version (or because I installed a new virus scanner).

Lethal Sage

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I'm upgrading. I'd rather spend fifty bucks now than later paying a hundred and some change.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Wait, it's only 50 to get right now?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
the release candidate is for free till june 2010 I think.

Lethal Sage

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Wait, it's only 50 to get right now?

It's fifty bucks to get the Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade now. Soon it will go back to it's normal pricing of more than one-hundred.

Go to Amazon, BestBuy, Fry's Electronics, Newegg, etc online and buy the upgrade and you'll get a DVD in the mail on October 22 -- when the first notebook with Windows 7 on it ships.

NOTE: It costs more if you have a higher version than Home Premium that you're updating.

Last edited:

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Damn it I want an update option like that too. In this country they say, if you buy vista now you get a free copy of 7 afterwards. Good I bought vista 6 months ago then :D

Lethal Sage

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Everyone get's the option to upgrade. Even those with Windows XP can get an upgrade disk for $50 if they get it before July 11th I believe or when they run out of disks.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I love it too. Haven't had it crash on me either which is superb. Maybe IE bites it once in a blue moon but the OS never locks up or misses a beat. I'm upgrading now too, and I will say that it does seem to boot/shutdown a LOT quicker than Vista did.

Only issues I'm having right now is with Homegroup networking but I think that's more to do with how my local network is set up than anything else, gotta play around with the DD-WRT one to see if that's messing anything up.

Eiddy

Pronounced eye-ee-dee
MBTI Type
DEAD
Enneagram
1w2
I also use it. It is much better than Vista, takes a shorter time to start up.. etc. Entrophie gave highly detailed information about it. So I will leave the details with her.

I have also had to install flashplayer many times, I couldn't keep up with all the times I have tried to have it installed. Thankfully after so many times of trying it now works.

I love the GUI and it does seem to be a very stable OS.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
Hey! I has too! But why does your start bar look different than mine? My Windows symbol is completely enclosed in the start bar, while yours sticks out.

Eiddy

Pronounced eye-ee-dee
MBTI Type
DEAD
Enneagram
1w2
Right click and choose personalize, click on taskbar and start menu on the lower left corner, check the third box for use small icons and your Windows symbol will appear larger.

Here's a pic of mine.

Desktop.jpg

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
Ohhhh. Meh, I like my large icons. :) I have a program to remove the Windows 7 build watermark thingy if anyone want it.