• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Either it's a great idea, or I am insane.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Or both.

So I know that there are ridiculously smart people on here who can probably help me out with this idea, and tell me whether it is possible, probable, or if it is an idea that can be manipulated for some kind of use.

We all know how the opposite polar ends of a magnet attract, and the similar ones repel. Well, I was thinking, can we use the repelling magnetic forces to create an efficient transportation system?

I suppose the basic idea would be laying a magnetic sheet in the ground, with a certain amount of magnet on the bottom of the vehicle (or object) in question. Then I figured that the height it would rise off the ground could be determined by something weakening the magnetic force and lowering it, or somehow multiplying the force and rising it.

As a sub idea, it could make the use of chair legs, table legs, shelves to a certain extent, etc obsolete, minus the aesthetically pleasing reasons.

It could be just some crazy idea, but it just kind of came to me one day and I was hoping that some of the intellects on here could tell me the flaws or provide better ideas.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
You are insane. Do you know the kind of havoc a magnetic pull of that magnitude would wreak on a city? That being said, I'd be down to take the first ride...

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I know it's nuts, and I figure so many changes to our evironment would have to be changed because of it.

But I thought it sounded ridiculously cool :D

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i like it but yeah people with earrings or bracelets being pulled onto the track all the time and being run over could be somewhat bothersome after awhile.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think it might be a bit expensive to create. And then I do know that the earth's magnetic field changes and the such so there would be so many variables that would need to be controlled.

It is a very sad idea apparently. Oh well, I can keep trying and hope I don't destroy New York in the process.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Yeah, don't test it out on my home town. Bring that mess to L.A.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, as another thought, it sounds like magnetic energy would make an amazing weapon!

P

Phantonym

Your idea sounds familiar. I've actually heard something like this before...somewhere...

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I think there's a similar concept applied to certain trains, so it's not as crazy as you think...

ETA: I knew I'm not making this up: Maglev . I saw a mention of the Tobu-Kyuryo Japanese one in the news quite a while back when it started service.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i totally like the idea of cars that drive them self though or some sort of bus taxi...on a track or computerized gps type system or those horizontal escalator type sidewalks ya know...but they should move quicker that could be cool.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was kind of concerned about all the variables in life, and that we would need to be able to control the cars reactions to certain events.

What if a dinosaur suddenly comes out of a forest and we can't move, other than on the magnetized track?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
well in that case let's hope we have flying cars...i don't wanna cram on some train with the whole city.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Actually maybe the cars being lifted by the magnets would be very useful in such a case.

We could control the power to be higher than the dinosaur! But then the object would be blocking our source of repelling energy....let's just hope we don't have random dinosaurs running around.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
yeah we gotta find a way to use these magnets i'm thinking...could they be used for monorails...are they used for monorails? maybe the cities need a lot more monorails...high ones...in case of a dinosaur attack.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
hehe I should create dinosaurs to give even more purpose to magnetic monorails!

But seriously, I think there is some undiscovered or only slightly scratched at idea involving magnets that is just waiting to make millions or billions.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
the problem would be making magnetic fields in regions you wanted them (such as bellow the table for lift) but not significant in other regions. What about introducing systems of faraday cages on top of your hueg magnetic sheet so you have "safe regions" for metal objects?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
hehe I should create dinosaurs to give even more purpose to magnetic monorails!

But seriously, I think there is some undiscovered or only slightly scratched at idea involving magnets that is just waiting to make millions or billions.

i think you're right...magnets are seriously cool crazy things...have you ever heard of kids who accidentally swallowed both sides of one and they twist their organs all up...that's some crazy powerful shit. we gotta think of something cool to do with em.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I haven't heard of that, but on some of the websites for "industrial" magnets I saw, it talked about kids picking up these five pound magnets and having it attract the other one, consequentially crushing the childs hand.

the problem would be making magnetic fields in regions you wanted them (such as bellow the table for lift) but not significant in other regions. What about introducing systems of faraday cages on top of your hueg magnetic sheet so you have "safe regions" for metal objects?

That is a good idea. I was also hoping for maybe the equiptment that was used to be a mix of something strong and durable that wouldn't fly and attack the system. But we all know how fun it would be to have objects flying at us while we drive. Or fly.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think there's a similar concept applied to certain trains, so it's not as crazy as you think...

ETA: I knew I'm not making this up: Maglev . I saw a mention of the Tobu-Kyuryo Japanese one in the news quite a while back when it started service.

Maglev is really not a new concept and the Shikensen is probably the most famous example of it's application.

Edit: I just remembered an episode of the Simpsons where a maglev train was built in Springfield. It was solar powered and I think they had Leonard Nimoy cameo in it. That episode was entertaining.