• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Either it's a great idea, or I am insane.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That sounds absolutely amazing. I would love to just watch that.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This exists already...

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weWmTldrOyo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weWmTldrOyo[/YOUTUBE]

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I havent read the whole thread but the Transrapid project was a joint venture between Germany and China some years ago. They built one in Shanghai.

The greatest problem to the thing is that it consumes massive amounts of electric energy and you have to build little power stations every 100 miles to just keep it moving.

Besides that the production costs of permanent magnets or magnetic induction coils is so ultra-high that the train never really financially amortizes.

The principle idea tho, will be playing a key role in human future. It does already in electric cars or electric engines in powertrain technology.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I havent read the whole thread but the Transrapid project was a joint venture between Germany and China some years ago. They built one in Shanghai.

The greatest problem to the thing is that it consumes massive amounts of electric energy and you have to build little power stations every 100 miles to just keep it moving.

Besides that the production costs of permanent magnets or magnetic induction coils is so ultra-high that the train never really financially amortizes.

The principle idea tho, will be playing a key role in human future. It does already in electric cars or electric engines in powertrain technology.

I need to develop the principle idea a lot more.

I guess this is something that will be taking up a lot of my time!

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY

Finding a room temperature super-conductors would solve this problem. If you happen to have one lying around, patent it, have it analysed, and sell the rights to manufacture it to become the richest man in history.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If there are so many good ideas on here, how come no one is like, filthy rich on here? There are apparently some insanely smart people on here!

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I haven't read the whole of the thread, but it works way better with superconductors because of the Meissner effect. You don't go flying off anywhere and have a controlled environment. You'll see pictures of magnets floating above superconductors in most school science books. The maglev trains use this also. And other things like frictionless axles.

MBTI Type
ENTP
This thread reminds me of 50s sci fi movies and futurist documentaries with their silly overestimations of the potential uses for radar.

paintmuffin

MBTI Type
eNTP
I think there's a similar concept applied to certain trains, so it's not as crazy as you think...

ETA: I knew I'm not making this up: Maglev . I saw a mention of the Tobu-Kyuryo Japanese one in the news quite a while back when it started service.

Yesss. I was just about to say that. and then saw your post. :p

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
Or both.

So I know that there are ridiculously smart people on here who can probably help me out with this idea, and tell me whether it is possible, probable, or if it is an idea that can be manipulated for some kind of use.

We all know how the opposite polar ends of a magnet attract, and the similar ones repel. Well, I was thinking, can we use the repelling magnetic forces to create an efficient transportation system?

I suppose the basic idea would be laying a magnetic sheet in the ground, with a certain amount of magnet on the bottom of the vehicle (or object) in question. Then I figured that the height it would rise off the ground could be determined by something weakening the magnetic force and lowering it, or somehow multiplying the force and rising it.

As a sub idea, it could make the use of chair legs, table legs, shelves to a certain extent, etc obsolete, minus the aesthetically pleasing reasons.

It could be just some crazy idea, but it just kind of came to me one day and I was hoping that some of the intellects on here could tell me the flaws or provide better ideas.

lol I think there's a train system in japan already setup like this. Also the superman ride in sixflags uses something similar to your described system. They even have magnetic shocks now. Nice try but it's been done, so hard to find a truly original idea now, you should look into magnetic levitation, I remember I was trying to use the concept to amuse myself with a cooky anti gravitational engine idea. I dunno but it wouldn't hurt to learn something new.

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
It's called maglev, and it's already been done. To do it, you'd have to siphon off incredible amounts of power, and the EM feild would fry everything. Not to mention the cost of the wiring....