• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Volkswagen GTI

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I'm thinking about trading in my '05 Ford Focus ZX3, which has around 70k miles on it for a 06-08 GTI, sometime after my return to the sates. Anybody here have one and recommend it?

When you trade in a car, you aren't going to be compensated as much were you to privately sell it. How much of a headache is it to sell a car, typically?

5827299-1-5-9698ba85.jpg

5827299-4-5-25c5be8b.jpg

5827299-6-5-30c5be8b.jpg

Such a beaut. ;)

FC3S

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Because I'm a car nut - That car looks ugly as hell, but that's not why I'm here.

Buying or selling a car through a private seller can be a huge hassle. The seller has to worry about the vehicle remaining in functioning order. This is dependent on the laws of the state/area and if the buyer turns your ass in. That and the seller will get a lot of deadbeat shoppers/lookers. I had that problem when looking to buy my Deuce. The other guy reported about three different people coming to look at it, and they all bailed.

The car was on sale for close to six months when I finally bought it and he lost about $2500 on it. Transfering the title through a private party is also a pain.

As for trading it in - it's to my understanding that you are trading it in for less than it's current market value, in exchange for a discount on another vehicle. With a buddy it worked out to - his GMC Sierra was worth $13000, but trading it in would yield only $7500.

[Edit] There are guides that dealers use for market value - these, among others, can give you an idea of what your car will fetch:
New Cars, Used Cars, Blue Book Prices & Car Values - Kelley Blue Book
New Car Prices, Used Car Values, New Car Reviews & Car Buying Guides - NADAguides.com Official Site

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Thanks for your input.

The GTI ugly though? WHAT?! I take it your not into hatchbacks much?

FC3S

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Yes, I loath mini-vans with passion, namely the Dodge Caravan. There is one in particular, that I hope meets it's fate in a car crusher.

But not too slowly. I want it's engine to crumple, the oil and various transmission fluid to gush out slowly, and I want it's metal frame to grind in pain.

Note the all to familiar hatch style -
14039-2000-Dodge-Grand-Caravan.jpg

If I drive a hatch, it must be a small car.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Now, are you confusing the GTI as a mini-van? You said you were a car-nut, so probably not the case. Just making sure though.

Here's an '83 GTI:
1983_VOlkswagen_VW_GTI_Mk1_Hatchback_Rear_1.jpg

MetalWounds

More human than human
MBTI Type
TP
Enneagram
9w8
I too would like to voice my disapproval of minivans and the inherently amoral people who drive them.

When you trade in a car, you almost always loose some money on it. After all, the dealer has to find a way to turn around and sell your trade in for a profit. The trick is to make up the money you loose on the price of the car that you're trying to buy.

Coming back from Iraq you'll probably have enough money to buy it outright, but don't let the dealer know that right away because they'll probably try to hose you. If you finance it, put as much money down upfront as you're comfortable with. The more you put down the more you save in interest.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
^word. I plan to put a decent down payment on it, but I can't afford to lose all my money I make out here to a car.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Let me get this straight.

You want to trade in your Focus for a foreign Focus?

Wouldn't you rather get a different style of car (that's still a hatchback), like a New Beetle? That car's a chick magnet, for sure. (I think it's also cheaper than the GTI.)

I mean, don't get me wrong, the GTI is no doubt a sharp-looking car, but don't you think it's a little too similar to a Focus ZX3? Wouldn't you rather go for something a little different? Just a suggestion.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
The Beetle is a woman's car (IMO), and you can't compare a VW to a Ford. Don't do it!

I like the small hatchback, sporty, good gas mileage thing.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Beat, trading in a car is MUCH easier than selling your car, and much less RISKY.

People do all kinds of crazy shit when they try and "buy" your car, like take it for a test drive and not come back, or give you a fake Cashier's Check for it and drive off leaving you getting it in the arse 2 weeks later when your bank figures it out, or paying you in counterfeit cash, etc., ad nauseum.

I have bought several cars and every time I've traded mine in as it was paid for at the time and I didn't want to fook around with selling it.

If you do sell yours, check out this site for your own financial safety:

https://www.escrow.com/index.asp

Cheers fella!

-Alex

BTW, I like the GTI's, I also like the older Corrado...VROOOOM!!! :cheese:

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
yeah finally someone with a taste in cars :D

In germany its no fun to drive a GTI cause every 2nd person has one :D

If you are thinking about a huge aggregat, try and have a look at the R32 engine. If you want to make a good deal, wait for the new TFI modells, they come with small engines, which are double-turbocharged fitted for huge performance @ low fuel consumption.

I am personally in love with the R32 :D

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mc2x09OUzTE"]:D[/YOUTUBE]

FC3S

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I don't see a mini-van when I look at this car. Maybe on photo it does moreso, because you can't really get a grasp on the size of the vehicle though.
Well, the correct term is mini, but only by technicality.

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
You should also consider new cars. Used cars are overpriced right now in the USA, while new cars are cheap. I bought a new car recently and sold my old one to a private party.

Learn from my mistake: The tag stays with the person, not with the car! After I sold my car, I found out I was supposed to turn the tag into the DMV. Fortunately I was able to get the tag back, but in the process I discovered that the buyer's cousin had been driving around with my old tag on his minivan!

Also: If you like the VW GTI, you might also want to consider a Subaru Impreza WRX --

subaru-wrx-sti-2-door.jpg

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Dont get me wrong but I doubt the Impreza can meet the quality standards of a GTI. Its the little things like wind noise, bad suspension or little repairs that will start to bug you over the years.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
[LEFT said:
Also: If you like the VW GTI, you might also want to consider a Subaru Impreza WRX --

subaru-wrx-sti-2-door.jpg
Funny, that's the exact car my buddy at worked recommended yesterday, since he knew I was looking at GTIs.

I'm pretty set on the GTI at this point though... I guess you could say I'm in love :wubbie:.