• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Hybrid car

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Should I get one?

Does anyone here have one?

What do you think of them?

ygolo

My termites win
I don't know if you should get one or not. It depends on what you are looking for.

My dad has a Toyota Prius.

It gets 50+ miles per gallon. It drives really well. I like it.

vince

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w
There's only one thing bad about hybrid cars and it's the price tag unfortunately.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I think a 2009 Prius is only like $21,000. That's not bad. It's a few thousand more than a Corolla, but you'll be saving on gas money.

Jeremy

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
I wonder if used Priuses are hitting the market yet.. how much are they going for if so? I'm thinking about getting one for my next car, but I try to avoid buying new just because they have a tendency to cost so much, plus it's bad for the environment :)

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
There is a car survey, which was developed from the vision of a single engineer, over the course of his entire life:

Its no hybrid car, but its constructed to balance out and maximize topspeed, acceleration and mileage.

Its called Loremo and I like the GT version:

Details:

Loremo GT:
3-Cylinder-Turbo-Diesel
36 kW / 50 HP
200 km/h (125 mph)
0 to 63 mph < 10 s

Mileage: > 80 mpg
Range: 440 m

price: below 20,000 Euro (26 500 U.S. dollars)

Loremo Homepage

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Interesting. o_O I've never heard of it.

50 hp is less than my old VW Beetle (110 hp, stock motor). How will you not get run over?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Its got a turbocharger, so its acceleration from 0 - 60 mph is nearly the same as with a 100 HP gasoline engine + its constructed for optimum performance. It has got a cw-value (drag coefficient), which is around 0,2, so its build after formula 1 models.

I have the same attitude though, a turbocharger doesnt make up for displacement in the end :D

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Men. You're all about piston land size. ;)

Wyst

lurking....
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Hybrid cars.... nah.

I think we need speeders to get around (like the one Luke used on Tattooine).
That would be cool.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'd get a hybrid car only if it turned into a boat or a plane. Otherwise, it's not a hybrid to me.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Finding the "sweet spot" with a hybrid is a bit more difficult than most people think. You have to be in a situation that will pay off/validate the car's cost in X amount of time, usually five years. I do highly recommend to anyone looking to buy a hybrid to go to Consumer Reports and pay the small fee to search their extensive log of hybrids (along with other non-hybrid models) to see which will be the best fit.

Good on you for looking to go green, Miss Hmm. :)

O

Oberon

The VW Golf diesel got 55mpg back in 1985. There wasn't any acceleration to speak of, but it got you there, and it was a simple, cheap car.

I don't see why we have to add so much weight and complexity with expensive batteries and additional electronics. Small diesels show a great deal of promise.